Spyderco Screw vs Pinned issue again.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Spyderco Screw vs Pinned issue again.

Post by Evil D »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:53 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:43 pm
We reeeeally do not need to make this another asinine debate about loctite guys...we have been there and beat a whole ranch full of horses to death over it. The POINT was that preferences vary and just like the screw vs pin debate there are pros and cons. Whether you like red loctite or not is irrelevant, you can't deny that screws backed out less frequently when it was used, and that was the point I was making.
Well using blue loctite greatly reduces the frequency of stripped screws and/or destroyed screw heads AND it still doesn't stop users who need red loctite from applying it themselves. MY POINT is that going blue to red is far easier than going red to blue.

No offense man (and I genuinely mean that) but your point wasn't necessary, nor was rehashing this debate. We all know red loctite is the devil, we all know there are lesser grades of thread locker. My comment was towards one other person's comment about screws coming lose, nothing more and nothing less. It was directed specifically towards the screw vs pin debate, and was meant to illustrate that the problem of screws coming loose had a solution that made them more on par with pins not coming loose. The fact that red loctite is hard to break is exactly the point of my comment, that it was indeed difficult to break, and that was the entire reason they used it, in an effort to make screw construction more like pinned construction.

I think I'm going to program my auto-correct to change "loctite" to "unicorn tears" or something so I don't slip up and do this again.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Some may also go by what the knife is used for, to determine whether pin or screw construction is better. For example: On a larger fixed blade or folder for heavier use , that will be seeing some very hard outdoor, perhaps bushcraft use, would you think screw construction may be ideal, because it could allow you to do more in-field repairs if necessary, vs pins, which if the pins loosen or break, you are going to have a more difficult time of in-field repair, as opposed to something for everyday light-duty carry?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

This may be headed to a “which is better” which is unresolvable. I like it that my Spydercos can be disassembled for tweaks and maintenance. I like it that my traditionals are pinned and seldom need the attention of a torx driver.

It’s a non-issue.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
James Y

Post by James Y »

In general, I prefer my Spydercos with screw construction. I still really like my SS Police models and SS Harpy, which are pinned. With Spyderco's FRN knives, I feel in general that the screw constructed knives feel a bit more 'solid' in use than the pinned ones, but that could only be my impression.

I love SAKs and many traditional pattern knives, and those are all pinned. I started carrying those over 40 years ago, and never had a problem because they were pinned. With my Spydercos, I've never disassembled any knife, so for me, screw construction only means if I wanted to I could, or if something loosens over time, I can adjust it back.

Jim
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Evil D wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:05 pm
No offense man (and I genuinely mean that) but your point wasn't necessary, nor was rehashing this debate. We all know red loctite is the devil, we all know there are lesser grades of thread locker.
If you genuinely mean not to offend me, then don't tell me my points or opinions aren't necessary; and don't put words in my mouth (or letters on my keyboard as it may be in this case). Seriously.

That aside, a thread locker is an inanimate object, not capable of good or evil. But, if you say that red loctite is the devil, then I'll take your word for it: Your screen name is Evil D and your skull and roses avatar implies worship or adoration of the dead. You're clearly the expert in that area. :p
Evil D wrote:
My comment was towards one other person's comment about screws coming lose, nothing more and nothing less. It was directed specifically towards the screw vs pin debate, and was meant to illustrate that the problem of screws coming loose had a solution that made them more on par with pins not coming loose. The fact that red loctite is hard to break is exactly the point of my comment, that it was indeed difficult to break, and that was the entire reason they used it, in an effort to make screw construction more like pinned construction.
Thank you for clarifying. Sometimes I'm a bit dense after the stresses or work dealing with mental health patients and their families. I agree that red loctite would make screw constructed knives harder for the user to service, but still allow the relative ease of screw construction vs pinned for the factory techs to service.
Evil D wrote:
I think I'm going to program my auto-correct to change "loctite" to "unicorn tears" or something so I don't slip up and do this again.
Hey, you're the expert, if unicorn tears are the spawn of the devil, go for it man, lol. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Snip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:49 am
Both construction methods have their pros and cons.

Screws allow adjustment and disassembly for cleaning, and also allows for easy customization. However, screws can loosen and even fall out if the user does not periodically check them. Besides which, as has been proven on this forum hundreds of times, not everyone is competent to operate a screwdriver.

Pinned construction allows a more elegant look, but precludes tinkering and makes scale replacement difficult or impossible. A pinned pivot also makes the knife more suceptable to side-to-side blade play if the knife is used for prying. Strength, when used as a knife, is more a function of fastener diameter and material than fastener type.

Screw construction is relatively new to the knife world, at least as the norm. Few folding knives made more than 40 years ago were put together with screws. A few may have used a screw for the pivot, but "all screw" construction was rare, if it existed at all. Personally I strongly prefer pinned construction on bolstered knives, screws on non bolstered knives I want to have customized with new scales, and don't care one way or the other on non bolstered knives I intend to use "as is".
Yeah, and I can remember when screwed construction was viewed as being a cheaply made knife and not as good as pinned (wrongly, I might add). My how things have changed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:53 am
Yeah, and I can remember when screwed construction was viewed as being a cheaply made knife and not as good as pinned (wrongly, I might add). My how things have changed.

Perhaps not cheaply made, but cheaper to make. I recall Sal saying that they didn't go to screw construction because it was "better", but because time is money and screw construction sped up assembly. I suspect it's also easier to find people who can be trained to assemble knives held together with screws that will pass QC inspection than it is to train them to properly build a pinned knife. I'd imagine that's especially true if they're given torque-limiting screwdrivers to do it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

My preference would be for every Spyderco to come from the factory with high quality hardened torx screws with blue loctite to keep them in place until the user decides to mess with them.

I will throw out my standard public service announcement recommendation for PB Swiss Torx bits combined with a PB Swiss 1254 Cross Handle Bit Driver for working on your knives. Amazing quality. Better than Wiha, Wera, Snap On, Apex, etc in my opinion. I have yet to strip a screw or mangle a bit using these tools.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

So, I have a different angle on this - this probably doesnt belong here, but I cant find a perfect discussion (yet).

This is about changing scales from pinned SS to something else screwed together.

I have a SS Navigator (my favorite all time Little Big Knife - yes, even over the Dfly) and want to change scales to either G10 or CF (or anything really, could be micarta). Question for you all - does anyone know anyone who does this type of mod? I know it will be expensive, but this is a grail quest for me - I even bought 2 Navigators in case 1 doesnt work out some how.

Any leads would be welcome. I first posted this in a SS handle thread...
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Hello fellow So Cal'er. I would watch who posts in the Spyderco Mule subforum...a lot of makers and modders hang out there. Good luck with the conversion! Wish I could help but that mod is over my head.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

Change from pins to screws in a fifteen minutes once you get the screws and barrels in your hands.
Just a crotchety old curmudgeon who has seen a thing or two
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Bolster - thx for the lead, will check it out
TTFulltimer - I dont have the skill set to disassemble a pinned knife, nor make the new scales...