Cruwear What is the problem?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

Re: Cruwear What is the problem?

Post by ZMW »

random question-

regarding added toughness with cruwear, M4, 3v - will it make a noticeable difference in keeping a fine tip like on the Millie from dulling or blunting? Compared to s30-110v type steels
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:44 am
Thanks, that's about what I figured from having used (and still using) S30V knives, but only reading random stuff about Cruwear, plus one or two (not really informative) comparison write ups.

So I am really not entitled to give any personal opinion here, other than that S30V never disappoints me, is easy enough to sharpen on my basic Sharpmaker, holds an edge very well, and has no chipping issues in my use.

So if Cruwear is not noticeable better in that capacities, but less rustproof and more expensive, I personally probably won't need it...

That said: I absolutely grant everyone who likes that steel a whole bunch of new Cruwear models!! :)
It's just: If Cruwear does not have huge advantages over S30 V when used in a folder, but does rust faster: I personally would not like to see Spyderco REPLACING all the standard S30V models with the same models but in Cruwear...
[/quote]

I absolutely agree. I love my s30v blades, perfectly in the middle of all steels. I would actually take s110v over my buddies cruwear knife.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

VG-10 also “wants to get sharp,” and is very well rounded. I haven’t tried Cruwear, but this has been a fascinating thread so far.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

ZMW wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:03 pm
random question-

regarding added toughness with cruwear, M4, 3v - will it make a noticeable difference in keeping a fine tip like on the Millie from dulling or blunting? Compared to s30-110v type steels

That's something I'm wondering too. It seems to me that, in a folder, the advantage of a tougher steel like Cruwear, wouldn’t be so much in intentional use, but when you drop the knife, or accidentally hit something hard with the blade.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

double post
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:05 pm
What "Surfingringo" has to say is right on.

B - Sharpening response is becoming more and more important to me all of the time. This is why Cruwear and 52100 are two of my favorite steels, they are eager to get sharp. People say similar things about VG10, but I haven't had much of a chance to check that out. But I'll pick an easy to sharpen steel over a steel with fantastic edge retention any time if that is the choice.
In that case I´d strongly recommend that you get a Spydie you like in VG10!! Good thing: There is quite a variety out there, and almost all of those for a very reasonable price! (Downside for some, maybe: Mostly with FRN handles, which I personally happen to like). As always, my recommendation would be the discountinued Stretch 1 in VG10, currently still to be found for under 90 dollars.

I think VG10 suffers maybe even more than S30V from the "old and boring" - factor, when in fact it is (still) an amazing all around steel.
ESPECIALLY when you say, you´re looking for good sharpening response! I even started a quite spontanoues dedicated thread once, since I was once again amazed by how quickly the edge of my VG10 blades could be restored on my basic sharpmaker with my only basic skills - much faster than S30V (which also is no problem to sharpen for me on the SM) and with still very reasonable edge holding.

Furthermore, also disucssed lately: VG10 has very good, if not to almost perfect, corrosion resistance in my use.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:22 pm
Opening line was also meant to cause controversy. But just look how many honest replies and invaluable input for Spyderco came from it.

Lastly I reserve the right to make sense only to myself and those who can comprehend. :) for mine is not the riddle of steel but the madness that comes from understanding it, as evidenced by the larger safety deposit box I recent had to lease from the bank for the knives not in rotation arrrrggghhhh. :)
Doeswhatever, since I am still a bit confused concerning the supposed superiority of Cruwear over S30V in a folder (so NOT large, chopper fixed blade):

Your final take is that your very first statement: (Quote: "Seriously S30V is not good enough anymore. Cruwear is a far better steel on so many ways.") while maybe true for you and your very (quote again) picky, and specialized preferences, is NOT what you think generally, right? So you don´t think the average guy who is into Spydercos would profite a lot from a change from S30V to Cruwear - ? Cause, honestly, after all I read I personally still can´t see that...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:12 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:56 pm
Honestly, this thread leaves me a bit confused:

But what makes Cruwear that much better in the real world remains unclear to me. Maybe I'm missing something..?
.... The second aspect that is even more impressive is the TYPE of edge it takes. I find that Cruwear takes a VERY aggressive edge at any given grit. Much more aggressive than s30v, s90v or s110v. If I reprofile all of those steels and then microbevel with the brown SM stones I find that the cruwear bites more firmly into beard hair (sharpness as defined by apex width) but also has notably more "tooth" when tested on the thumb, or the three finger test. So I end up with an edge that is not only more aggressive but also marginally sharper? That's a win/win for me.

As said, that´s new and valid information for me, when comparing S30 V to Cruwear. Or, to put it differently, one area in which I can understand now why people would prefer the latter over the former.

Still I have to say: That´s just not the league I am playing in when it comes specifically to steels, edges, particular TYPE of edge and so on, and I think MOST even knife guys DO NOT play in that league either (don´t get me wrong, I have respect for anyone who DOES).

Compared to the average knife-user I probably know a bit about steels and sharpening, I can absoutely tell general differences between lets say S30 V and VG10 and so on. What I mean is, I know aproximately how easy and fast a steel is to sharpen, how long it will hold it´s edge aproximately in different uses and so on. But I can´t or don´t distinguish between for example the TYPE of edge between two steels which are similar in most capacities.

So, conclusion: I guess for most even serious knife-users and from everything I´ve read here, S30V and Cruwear will probably feel and behave almost the same, and probably S30V would be the better choice just for it´s better corrosion resistance... just my two Euro-cent.. ;)
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I don't see Cruwear as a viable replacement for S30V. It makes sense that a replacement for S30V should be stainless, and have equal, or better, corrosion resistance. I do think that Cruwear has a place in regular production, rather than only being available in sprints and exclusives. The popularity of the Police 4 in K390 shows that there is a market for non-stainless steels in regular production Spyder folders.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Opening line was also meant to cause controversy. But just look how many honest replies and invaluable input for Spyderco came from it.

Lastly I reserve the right to make sense only to myself and those who can comprehend. :) for mine is not the riddle of steel but the madness that comes from understanding it, as evidenced by the larger safety deposit box I recent had to lease from the bank for the knives not in rotation arrrrggghhhh. :)
This has been a thread with lots of unsupported and contradictory statements mixed with some sensible and logical counterpoints, but I find the above post the most odd one yet. You keep knives at the bank? Bizarre.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

When I look at the full spectrum of steels at my disposal I would say that S30V and Cruwear are more similar than they are different. When I look at steels from 1095 and 52100 all the way up through K390, S110V and Maxamet I personally put Cruwear and S30V in a similar bracket.

I wonder how many folks could actually tell the two apart if they were to do a blind test?

I love Cruwear. I have been talking it up since the Military came out which was long before Cruwear got all hyped up. It is great and I still call my Cruwear Military my favorite knife but the hype has exceeded reality in my opinion. I simply cannot support the notion that Cruwear is some perfect balance of attributes while S30V is somehow obsolete.

I do prefer Cruwear over S30V most of the time. Why? I love the way it sharpens and it handles accidental bumps into rocks or metal better than S30V while having similar edge retention. I have also found Cruwear to be more corrosion resistant than expected while I have found S30V to be less corrosion resistant than I expected.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

araneae wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:10 am
You keep knives at the bank? Bizarre.
He keeps his knives in the bank and his money under the mattress. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:19 am
I do prefer Cruwear over S30V most of the time. Why? I love the way it sharpens and it handles accidental bumps into rocks or metal better than S30V while having similar edge retention.

Excellent post. Thanks for confirming what I suspected, but didn’t want to test on purpose ;)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

araneae wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:10 am

This has been a thread with lots of unsupported and contradictory statements mixed with some sensible and logical counterpoints, but I find the above post the most odd one yet. You keep knives at the bank? Bizarre.
Have a safety deposit box already for other things came with the accounts so instead of a safe at the house... makes perfect sense to me. No point in buying a Safe when I have a secure location already :)

Lol no money under the mattress it all went to Knives :)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Catamount123 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:40 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
I do prefer Cruwear over S30V most of the time. Why? I love the way it sharpens and it handles accidental bumps into rocks or metal better than S30V while having similar edge retention.

Excellent post. Thanks for confirming what I suspected, but didn’t want to test on purpose ;)

Yep, this pretty much sums it up. For my uses I haven't noticed a difference in corrosion either between CRUWEAR and S30V. I may need to start testing the extremes of CRUWEAR's corrosion resistance to sweat and salt water this summer against S30V.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

I wonder how many folks could actually tell the two apart if they were to do a blind test?

... and it handles accidental bumps into rocks or metal better than S30V while having similar edge retention.
Concerning your question: Not too many, I guess, based on the information I could read (here) so far...(I could NOT tell the two steels apart in a blind test for sure)

Concerning your statement: That´s actually the only quite usefull real-world-advantage I´ve read so far, which Cruwear could have over S30V for a "just regular knife guy" like me...
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sun May 12, 2019 10:13 am

Have a safety deposit box already for other things came with the accounts so instead of a safe at the house... makes perfect sense to me.
I suppose it would.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal