PM2 Blade Angle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
loamy47

PM2 Blade Angle

Post by loamy47 »

I just noticed something on my PM2 that I think is an astounding little detail that I've never seen anyone talk about before. The angle of the blade along the axis that it pivots is slightly forward from what I expected, to the point that if I was holding the knife what I'd consider straight up and down looking from the side, the belly of the blade comes close to clearing or clears my knuckles depending on how I'm holding it.

The more I look at this knife and other knives, the more this strikes me as a deliberate and well thought out part of the design, allowing you to slice things on a flat surface like a cutting board or similar without banging your knuckles into the surface, while still keeping the blade from having an outrageous belly that would leave it feeling like a pocket ulu and not suited for general heavier use tasks like cutting straps or breaking down lots of cardboard. I just thought this was a very interesting design element that I haven't seen get much attention, and is another reason why this is one of the most highly regarded knives of all time.
Evil D

Re: PM2 Blade Angle

Post by Evil D »

This is commonly referred to as negative blade angle, and it's one of my must haves on most knives. It's actually fairly common in Spyderco knives once you notice it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It seems to me to be a little more pronounced on the Military and I think that is one reason I prefer it more. I actually wish they would give the Para2 another degree or two.

Astute observation my friend! Negative blade angles on folders are great!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
anycal

Post by anycal »

A very useful angle on a knife. Whether food prep, or those harder pushing from the top tasks.

Always fan of a thread that mentions my top two.

Peter
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

Yes! I love the negative blade angle too. It practically allows the blade to cut more akin to a recurve, without the sharpening pains.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Looking over my knives, I can also add the Endura, Delica, Stretch 2, and Manix 2 to the list. They all have negative blade angle. Spyderco knives are well thought out, practical users.

The Military I have is the same, but my Delica is the most pronounced. Part of that is due to the angle of the finger grooves. Either way, negative angle is fantastic and increases cutting power, as well as making cuts on a cutting board(or other flat surface) far easier.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A negative blade angle makes for aggressive cutting because it gathers what needs to be cut on the pull stroke. It’s less aggressive than a hawkbill, but aggressive enough for most work.

A Spydiechef’s positive blade angle lets the work escape, but makes up for it by being slicy, which is a welcome feature in food prep. Not as slicy as the neutral-angled and very thin Chaparral, but slicy still.

Of course, canting your wrist can alter the angle of attack, but I think the Glessers have factored in fatigue when choosing blade angle for a knife’s overall purpose. Neutral wrist is less fatiguing. Spyderco ergos are by design.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”