Musing on slipjoints...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Re: Musing on slipjoints...

Post by GarageBoy »

If it flicks open and locks, it's a "switchblade" - non locking is the only way to minimize potential trouble
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Since the CQI updates on the UKPK lock (I am assuming also on the BD1N version) I am now tempted to buy one. I do not need G10. FRN is lighter.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

this_is_nascar wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:10 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:17 pm
NYC resident here, will take any slipjoint, preferably in a non stainless alternative steel! Thanks for the k390 urban! Also welcoming new designs!

What's the deal with NYC?
So many things, but mostly arrogant authoritarian politicians. And unfortunately NYC and Albany are responsible for the loss of freedom in the rest of the state.
sal

Post by sal »

The Nuns running the whorehouse.

sal
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

UrbanMoose wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:00 am
sal wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:24 am
Personally, I'd like to see a UKPK in wood or stag with the latest CQI.

sal
A drop point UKPK in stag or wood (with bolsters)?
I have just imagined my new grail. The Sage 4 dressed in titanium and ironwood, or the Delica/Enduras in stag and dama bolsters show what an excellent job Spyderco would make of it. They're perfect templates to base it on.
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

Oops. Double post
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Sal, wood or stag would be fine, especially a nice stag. I am also partial to polished ivory G10 or polished ivory linen Micarta.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

How about something I can scrimshaw?
- best wishes, Jazz.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

A truly fantastic model! Here’s after some fun with the Torx driver this morning:

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

One of my biggest knife collecting regrets was letting go of my drop point G10 UKPK. Seeing your G10 drop point brings a pang to my heart. Such a great knife.

Ps those orange scales really pop. I cant recall having seen orange frn UKPK scales before.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

There’s actually quite the color variety of FRN UKPK scales: black, orange, dark blue, light blue, light gray, and maroon! (As you can tell, I REALLY like this model! ;))

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The UKPK is pretty much perfect, except for one thing.

It's missing Maxamet!
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

How fortuitous that I saw this thread. I was just going to share my love for the UKPK in S110v. I have the HH exclusive inbound. The UKPK is by far the most passed around knife in my office because like most slip joints its basically dummy proof. While not good for every task or situation it excels at the day to day packing tape, mail, fruit for lunch so forth and so on.

However, if i were to put two on a must buy list a cruwear variant and a salt variant would be pretty nifty.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love the s110v variant. I have a Ti/s30v one as well, but I actually prefer the fit and finish of my s110v.

I still need to grab a BD1N one so I can play with it. Maybe I'll get one as my travel knife for europe this summer.
sal

Post by sal »

And when we created this model originally for the UK market. Everyone thought I was nuts.......................I guess in most cases they're right, but this one is getting better all of the time.

sal
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:03 am
A drop point CQI’d UKPK G10 would be fantastic. 52100 would be better still.
Spyderco is a market driven company (hopefully :D) and sometimes the market is waiting for years and even longer before a wish becomes true. In other words: I fully agree with your selected combination!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

I've already made my point clear when I've created the thread, but as they say... A picture is worth a thousand words:

A CQI'ed version of this, made in Golden, BD1N and burnt orange G10 scales (like the ones on the recent REX45 sprints) makes my heart race... A man can dream! Heck, I would even get it in 440C :p

Speaking of which... Question: Has the Urban model ever been produced in Golden? I know about the ones coming from Italy in Japan, but I can't find any concrete information on that topic.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:03 am
Since the CQI updates on the UKPK lock (I am assuming also on the BD1N version) I am now tempted to buy one. I do not need G10. FRN is lighter.
There is no metal backspacer on the FRN BD1N version, it's just left open. Only the G10 HH version has the metal backspacer that wraps all the way around.

Note there are only three screws on my BD1N UKPK.

I would have really liked the full metal backspacer on the FRN version, as I like the heft it gives the handle. I think the metal backspacer is a big reason I prefer the FRN Chaparral over an FRN Delica or Native 5.

It’s still a phenomenal knife in it’s own right though. My favorite part of the UKPK (aside from the ergonomics) is how well the lockup and half stop were done. They have a wonderfully satisfying click and feel safe and secure.
Last edited by fixall on Fri May 17, 2019 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I think I will order one of these when the Coyote Urban comes out and have them shipped together.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050