Dragonflies are like popcorn

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Dragonflies are like popcorn

Post by Woodpuppy »

Need one in cruwear...
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Sal's best design ... so far. I pray for a large Dfly, 2,75 inch blade lenght . THAT would be Sal's best design EVER ! Please Sal, it's time to perfect your masterpiece :spyder:

P.S
I only own 11 little suckers... but they keep coming, I can't help it :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:20 am
Need one in cruwear...

I doubt we will see CPM-CRUWEAR in Japan, but I think the Japanese steel SRS-15 is pretty close in performance from what I have read. Hopefully we see that in a non-laminated solid blade on the Dfly! I'd also buy a Delica, Endela, and Jester in SRS-15!!

Sal mentioned on BF back in 2017 that they would consider SRS-15 for a run of Seki sprints, so I really hope this is in the works. Especially with so much hype around the Cruwear/4V class of steels as of late!

CRUWEAR NATION!!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The order of my addiction to Dflys...

BRG ZDP-189
Yellow H-1 PE
Grey Super Blue
Burnt Orange Hap40
Yellow H1 Hawkbill
RIT dyed H1 Hawkbill
Pakka wood Hap40

:D Next up WharnFly and WaveFly :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I only have the orange vg10 and yellow h1 but I so want another one. As much as I like the utility of a slightly larger blade (delica or native5) the truth is when I start carrying the dragonfly I carry it for a long time. It is just the easiest little knife to have.
Trying the salt2 now but I can see buying a third dragonfly... just because...
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

This thread reminded me that I need an Orange VG-10 and a Green ZDP-189. Now where did I plant that money tree???
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Reject wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:38 pm
Hahaha! Literally a popcorn bag of DF's!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

LOL @ Reject! Holy cow! What a collection! Just a couple thousand dollar bag of popcorn...nothing to see here :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Reject wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:38 pm

All yours?! :eek:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😱!!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Reject wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:01 am
See! See! They are addicting! You can't buy just one. Someone needs to call the FDA or the BATF or something.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:45 am
Someone needs to call the FDA or the BATF or something.
Oh dear god no!! :eek:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If someone were to ask you "What is the main performance-characteristic of the Spyderco Dragonfly, that draws you to it?", what would your answer be? Is it because it is both compact and has great cutting power built into it, at the same time?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yes....that's what I would say. Probably capable of most of the cutting tasks most people here REALLY need. We just like the wide variety offered!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It is ergonomically superior for a small knife and it does cut way above its weight. In fact, until I bought the Urban LW K390 and the Chaparral LW, the Dragonfly was one of my two most carried knives (the other being a Delica). Now it has been replaced by the two aforementioned knives. It is still at the top of my carry list, however.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
40mm

Post by 40mm »

The Dragonfly is my favorite and only folding knife. I have a small fixed blade and a few swiss army multi tools, but as far as a pocket knife this is it. It took me a few tries before this knife stuck. But now I'm in love with the thing and if I ever lost it a replacement would be ordered that same day. I also like having just the one so I can use the poop out of him and have that connection. This one is MY knife. I dyed him black a long time ago and he has faded to this green color. Also dremeled the top of the blade where the spine meets the jimping to smooth it out and rounded off the nose a bit. He has some scars from being dropped and shows some lime green as well. Just used him today to demolish a load of cardboard, trim some plants, and a few other random small jobs. Size, ergos, and cutting power of this knife are awesome and work just right for me. While the wharncliffe model looks awesome, I won't be buying another until this guy dies or disappears. Thank you Sal.

ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

40mm wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:19 pm
The Dragonfly is my favorite and only folding knife. I have a small fixed blade and a few swiss army multi tools, but as far as a pocket knife this is it. It took me a few tries before this knife stuck. But now I'm in love with the thing and if I ever lost it a replacement would be ordered that same day. I also like having just the one so I can use the poop out of him and have that connection. This one is MY knife. I dyed him black a long time ago and he has faded to this green color. Also dremeled the top of the blade where the spine meets the jimping to smooth it out and rounded off the nose a bit. He has some scars from being dropped and shows some lime green as well. Just used him today to demolish a load of cardboard, trim some plants, and a few other random small jobs. Size, ergos, and cutting power of this knife are awesome and work just right for me. While the wharncliffe model looks awesome, I won't be buying another until this guy dies or disappears. Thank you Sal.
I think that´s really cool!! There was a time, when it was my goal to find the one and only knife for me, really settle on ONE model (and ONE actual folder) I´d always carry. Still sometimes I think that would be a good thing somehow (and from a solely practical point of view, though for me not a DFly, but an Endura for example would be all I´d need for probably ever...)

But I just can´t be that disciplined... ;) Nowadays it´s even very hard to stick to my limit of maximal 10 Spydies at any random point in time...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

40mm, buy another for backup!