Thanks a lot Dan. Sliverax

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Thanks a lot Dan. Sliverax

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

So thanks to Dan I bought another Spyderco.

Would also like to thank Dan because I really love this Sliverax.

Finger flicks and regular thumb opens like a champ. Blade sharpened all the way to the base is great as there is very little to get caught on things. Ergonomics are great with very little chance to slip off and a number of ways you can grip the knife comfortably.

There were some things I read about prior to getting the knife and for me it has been a mixed bag.

Detent for using the flipper is very light but if I use some wrist it works ok.

As far as the flipper tab hitting my finger when I close it, not so much. If I try really hard I can make it happen but during normal operation it’s a non issue.

Thanks again Dan, Sal and the guy who designed the knife who’s name I can’t recall. Paul?
Last edited by HarleyXJGuy on Fri May 10, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
krsmitty

Re: Thanks it Dan. Sliverax

Post by krsmitty »

Getting ready to order one myself...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks again Dan, Sal and the guy who designed the knife who’s name I can’t recall. Paul?
Paul Alexander, also designed the Ikuchi.

I am not a flipper-kind-of-guy at all, but the Sliverax offers some (other) features I'd probably like a lot.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
So thanks to Dan I bought another Spyderco.

Would also like to thank Dan because I really love this Sliverax.

Finger flicks and regular thumb opens like a champ. Blade sharpened all the way to the base is great as there is very little to get caught on things. Ergonomics are great with very little chance to slip off and a number of ways you can grip the knife comfortably.

There were some things I read about prior to getting the knife and for me it has been a mixed bag.

Detent for using the flipper is very light but if I use some wrist it works ok.

As far as the flipper tab hitting my finger when I close it, not so much. If I try really hard I can make it happen but during normal operation it’s a non issue.

Glad you’re enjoying it! It kicks my M2 and PM2 out of my pocket for the most carry time! I love mine as well!

Hamilton
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Love it.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

It checks all the right boxes for me.
Deep carry clip
Excellent flipping action
Lightweight
Compression lock
Fine tip
Plus it looks amazing.
This is my first $100+ knife, and I think it's worth every penny.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:54 pm
HarleyXJGuy wrote:

I am not a flipper-kind-of-guy at all, but the Sliverax offers some (other) features I'd probably like a lot.
You could just ignore the flipper tab, just use it as a finger guard for when the knife is open. The action with the bearings and full access to the Spydie hole is amazing. Best of any Spyderco I own.

HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:25 am

Love it.
Thanks for adding a picture. My Photobucket is full and I am looking for a new hosting site.

Just now noticed the black clip. Nice.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:36 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:54 pm
HarleyXJGuy wrote:

You could just ignore the flipper tab, just use it as a finger guard for when the knife is open. The action with the bearings and full access to the Spydie hole is amazing. Best of any Spyderco I own.
Thanks for the suggestion! But, you know, the finger guard a flipper tab becomes when the knife is opened, is exactly one of the things I don't like in flippers, and especially not in the Sliverax (to be clear: Just guessing based on pics, never handled one!)
Why? The Sliverax absolutely would not need such a fingerguard, cause the deep groove in the handle front part already makes for one. WITHOUT the flipper tab- finger guard the Sliverax would have a perfect shape for using most of the edge while cutting against a cutting board, but as it is the flipper tab guard is in the way...

So: MY personal perfect Sliverax would have a) no flipper, just opening hole b) backlock or cbbl (but the latter could probably not really be implemented in the very narrow front part of the handle, plus a cbbl would require a choil in the blade as far as I am aware of)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
silvershade255

Re: Thanks a lot Dan. Sliverax

Post by silvershade255 »

The one's I've seen that had the flipper removed looked just as good. I epoxied a "button" to the compression lock tab of mine to make it very easy to operate left handed. If I had to keep only one, sentimental value aside, there's a very high chance it'd be the sliverax.
"Seven for One"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It is quite good without the tab, the handle does indeed create plenty of guard and I find the handle in that area to be even more comfortable without the tab. I like them both ways, it's really a win win.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Howdy Harley,
Glad you’re liking the knife. I prefer a bit of a stronger detent myself, and modify my Sliveraxes by tweaking the detent hole in the blade a bit (not a difficult mod, but it requires disassembly, voids the warranty).

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:29 pm
It is quite good without the tab, the handle does indeed create plenty of guard and I find the handle in that area to be even more comfortable without the tab. I like them both ways, it's really a win win.

The tab removal is also a cool mod. There may be more stock removal, but it’s straightforward and hard to mess up any other aspects of the knife’s function.

On a side note, I just ordered a few more of these from the SFO, and there has been some CQI!
The caged bearings are no longer exposed on the tang-side of the blade. Taichung must have reduced the cage diameter a bit. Not sure there’s much performance benefit, but I imagine it will help keep the bearings grit-free.

- Paul
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

paulwa wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:32 am

On a side note, I just ordered a few more of these from the SFO, and there has been some CQI!
The caged bearings are no longer exposed on the tang-side of the blade. Taichung must have reduced the cage diameter a bit. Not sure there’s much performance benefit, but I imagine it will help keep the bearings grit-free.

- Paul

Hmm....how much do I need a third one? Actually I really do want a full serration version..
~David
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

paulwa wrote:
- Paul
Does it still have the internal stop pin? Would you mind posting a picture?

Thanks
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

koenigsegg wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:06 pm
paulwa wrote:
- Paul
Does it still have the internal stop pin? Would you mind posting a picture?

Thanks

All other internals are still the same, so the additional stop pin is still there.
Here’s a shot of the updated tang area, original (white) next to the CQI version (black):

8852C029-0E06-4443-B871-DAB4F4D50253.jpeg
- Paul
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

I dont know if I'm the only one wondering or not.. does the original there in the pictures have pure white scales?

If so - can we get a picture?
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:29 am
I dont know if I'm the only one wondering or not.. does the original there in the pictures have pure white scales?

I'm getting a strong Yin and Yang vibe from those two... definitely need more pics.

The milling is interesting. Makes me wanna buy another one just to take it apart and see the changes.
~David
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:29 am

I’ll try and get more pics later when I have some time (it is Mother’s Day), but I got the white scales off the bay. Just search for “Spyderco Sliverax Scales” and sets in a couple different colors usually pop up. I had to shorten the pivot barrel a bit to be able to get the pivot tight enough after the swap (countersink for the pivot screw head was a hair too deep), but they are pretty nice once that was done. They have that cool Anso texturing which looks and feels pretty good.

- Paul