"sharpening" services

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nrs

"sharpening" services

Post by nrs »

Hello all, this is my first post here.

I am new to Spyderco knives, got my first endura a year ago and have picked up a couple since.

I sharpen my knives semi weekly, and planned to send them in to the factory once a year for a good clean factory edge.

After 3 weeks at the factory I received the 4 knives back yesterday. The edge is so rounded and dull it can't even enter a cut on a sheet of paper.

I have emailed them and am just getting bot like responses.

My question is this, what has your experience been in sending them in for sharpening? Should I bother to send them back? Should I expect anything better than what I received from them (feels like they were sharpened on a river rock).
TazKristi

Re: "sharpening" services

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, nrs:
I'm sorry, to hear that you were disappointed. I can tell you that no, we don't sharpen anything on a rock. I can also add that the person who sharpens in W&R has been with us for several years. Having started in our factory, he's quite skilled at sharpening. We are human though, so I won't pretend that mistakes don't happen from time to time.

I spoke with W&R this morning. They reached out to me after receiving your last e-mail. I've read through the full exchange of e-mails, and I've seen a few posts from you on social media. I guess my question to you is, at this point, how do we make this right with you? For the record, we don't have any bots — just people.

Welcome to our forum. There's a wealth of information and history here in our community. We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

nrs wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:21 am

Hi NRS.

Setting aside your issues with the Factory. It sounds like you're into knives, and into sharpening. And like a good clean edge. I would suggest to you that it's time to invest in a good guided sharpening system. One that can give you a better than factory edge. If you do a little research you will find there are many systems out there in different price ranges. KME Sharp, Edge Pro, Wicked Edge (really expensive but as good as it gets).

Save yourself the time and hassle of sending your knives out to someone else and invest in your own sharpening system that will give you clean even edges. You'll start to enjoy your knives on a whole new level, and you can sharpen all of your kitchen and other knives too.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
nrs

Post by nrs »

Kristi I appreciate the reply!

I asked several questions in my emails with nothing but a generic response so I assumed it was a bot.

Ultimately I am just looking for some feedback as so what I can expect different this time. That is the reason why I posted here and on FB, I am looking to see what others have experienced in your sharpening service. I'd sure hate to send them back and be without them for another month for the same result.

I ordered a Lansky sharpener to try and fix them myself. That comes in the mail tomorrow. AM I better off just doing it myself or can you guarantee me a better edge if I send them back?
TazKristi wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:14 pm
Hi, nrs:
I'm sorry, to hear that you were disappointed. I can tell you that no, we don't sharpen anything on a rock. I can also add that the person who sharpens in W&R has been with us for several years. Having started in our factory, he's quite skilled at sharpening. We are human though, so I won't pretend that mistakes don't happen from time to time.

I spoke with W&R this morning. They reached out to me after receiving your last e-mail. I've read through the full exchange of e-mails, and I've seen a few posts from you on social media. I guess my question to you is, at this point, how do we make this right with you? For the record, we don't have any bots — just people.

Welcome to our forum. There's a wealth of information and history here in our community. We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i will second that you probably would want to get a sharpener. a few of my knives came with off even bevels and like you i thought that i would send them into spyderco to have them fixed. but if they did not do it from factory sending it back to get resharpened i would assume it would come back the same off even just sharper. so i decided to sharpen all my knives myself and bought a sharpener. now my edges are even and polished. i am glad you made this thread though. it means to me that i made the correct decision.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Here is a winning combo

Wicked edge pro with an angle cube and low angle attachment but you will need to shave plastic off the paddles in order to get into many Spyderco Riccaso.

Sharp-maker for lite touch ups.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

You can use the sharpmaker exclusively just need time and some extra rods.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Doeswhateveraspidercan

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:30 am
Not if you want to re-profile effectively and accurately. The sharp maker is not all anyone needs these types of replies are misleading and really got in my way early on. Not trying to be ugly just informative.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Idk, I sold my guided system and have since effectively, and accurately gotten my edges to look better than most did when I got them new. All I have is a sharpmaker with extra rods, and some bench/pocket stones.
Guided systems can have their own set of problems, and I have even scratched up a couple of expensive blades using a guided system(admittedly my own fault, but the possibility is there).
The correct answer is there isn’t one. Everyone is different. Find what works best for you. Like others said, sounds like what you’re looking for is to learn to sharpen on your own.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For what you pay in shipping and waiting (personally time is more valuable to me than money) you could just get a Sharpmaker and keep it sharp yourself. I'd be surprised if they use much more at the factory unless the bevel needs reground.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Really.. because I'm doing just fine with it. S90V and all. Seems like your posts are going to get someone to spend alot of money on something they may not need. I'm saying if I can do it, anyone can.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:54 am
GiftedMisfit wrote:
Not if you want to re-profile effectively and accurately. The sharp maker is not all anyone needs these types of replies are misleading and really got in my way early on. Not trying to be ugly just informative.
I reground Maxamet on a Sharpmaker with sandpaper. It's absolutely possible. It doesn't work well with finer grits but some 100 grit SIC paper clipped to a rod will reprofile anything and the accuracy is in muscle memory.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83111
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If just sharpening and touching up, the Sharpmaker is just fine. If reprofiling, it still works...but takes much more time and is harder to be completely accurate and consistent. Depends on your patience, how much time and or money you want to invest I guess.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:52 am
If just sharpening and touching up, the Sharpmaker is just fine. If reprofiling, it still works...but takes much more time and is harder to be completely accurate and consistent. Depends on your patience, how much time and or money you want to invest I guess.
This :)
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
You can use the sharpmaker exclusively just need time and some extra rods. (you probably need to buy those so, Money)

Sorry, I'm not trying to be ugly either. I said all that in less words.

Edit - sorry for the immaturity. Rough morning at work. Moving on now lol
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Like any other skill, sharpening requires time and practice to acquire proficiency. It is much preferable to acqire the skill than to rely on third parties to keep your knives sharp.

I agree that the 204 Sharpmaker is all one really NEEDS for edge maintenance if you buy also the coarse rods. Yes, there are faster methods and systems that require lower skill/less practice to produce a good result. However, the Sharpmaker is at a sweet spot of cost and effort to benefit ratio. With a modest investment in money and practice one can effectively sharpen a very wide range of blades and do it well.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

It’s interesting that Kristi’s response would tend to indicate Spyderco has just one person sharpening knives. If that is the case, one has to wonder how much time is spent on each knife and what sharpness testing occurs prior to knife return?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Welcome to the forum nrs.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:37 am
For what you pay in shipping and waiting (personally time is more valuable to me than money) you could just get a Sharpmaker and keep it sharp yourself. I'd be surprised if they use much more at the factory unless the bevel needs reground.
You sharpen your knives but would you recommend an independent sharpening service to someone, or you would have to see their results before you could do that?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

nrs wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:21 am

I am new to Spyderco knives, got my first endura a year ago and have picked up a couple since.

I sharpen my knives semi weekly, and planned to send them in to the factory once a year for a good clean factory edge.

After 3 weeks at the factory I received the 4 knives back yesterday. The edge is so rounded and dull it can't even enter a cut on a sheet of paper.

I have emailed them and am just getting bot like responses.

My question is this, what has your experience been in sending them in for sharpening? Should I bother to send them back? Should I expect anything better than what I received from them (feels like they were sharpened on a river rock).
I walked some s110v in the front door and asked them if I could get a factory edge on it. They sent me out the door a little while later with a knife with a super slicey edge on it. I would discuss with Spyderco staff direct to get your issue heard and resolved.

HTH,

CG

P.S. I have seen them (Spyderco) in the past go beyond what they should to keep a customer content
So many knives - so little funds!!!