Gone too Soon - Manix Backlock Deserves a 2nd Chance!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Gone too Soon - Manix Backlock Deserves a 2nd Chance!

Post by steelcity16 »

Whenever new models like the Police LW, Chief, Endela, etc come around there are always a flood of comments about same old black S30V/VG10 and how everyone is waiting for the sprints/exclusives. That is all fine and dandy on a popular knife like the Shaman and Para 3 LW where exclusives are a given, but on the less popular knives, it seems like Spyderco is leaving some money on the table by doing a one and done when they don't sell well.

Case in point, the Manix Backlock. Something people requested for a long time as an alternative to the CBBL. Well it came to everyone's delight, but no one wanted the plain old ho hum black/S30V, so they all waited...and waited...and waited...until it got discontinued! :confused:

I don't know Spyderco's sales figures, but it seems like they have to lose money on models like this because they don't sell enough to cover the initial R&D expenses. So why not feed the people what they want and throw out something like a Grey G10/Cruwear sprint? Cruwear is a super hot steel that can sell almost any model these days (if they stick to the Peel Ply G10 and not lame-o smooth scales), and the Manix Backlock is a great format to showcase the toughness of this steel.

Being there are NO current Cruwear options, I say let's get on board with a Gray G10/Cruwear Manix Backlock and give it the treatment it deserves! The CRUWEAR NATION gets a new model! Manix Backlock lovers finally get the model they waited for! And Spyderco can recover some of the costs of developing this model! And who knows, maybe it will sell well enough to include it in round 2 of the Rex45 Sprints alongside a Manix XL, Native, Native LW, and Para 3 LW!! :D

Who is with me!!!!???? :D :D :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Re: Gone too Soon - Manix Backlock Deserves a 2nd Chance!

Post by Evil D »

Not sure about "money on the table". It has been said in the past that knives get discontinued because of poor sales, so if the standard version isn't selling it's a risk to make very expensive sprint runs. Personally I think sprints would have sold in this model, but I also understand the business mentality of not taking every risk and instead focusing your production on safer bets.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ferider

Post by ferider »

Why, they still make it, no ? Granted, it's been stretched a little and got a different name (Chief). :rolleyes:
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I think saying it's downfall was black g10 and S30V isn't entirely correct. The common complaints we heard were that it's $140 price was $30 more than a cbbl manix (which many people didn't understand), it didn't have liners, and it had a thick handle. Sure the hardcore fans were still interested, but it didn't have wide appeal regardless of steel type and handle color. To give a little perspective, a cbbl Manix sprint was still cheaper than a standard backlock Manix. That sealed it's fate, IMO.
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Tue May 07, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

BHQ could commission an exclusive and sell out in a day
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A Jade/M4 Manix Backlock would sell out really fast.

A Rex45 sprint would too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:12 pm
A Jade/M4 Manix Backlock would sell out really fast.

A Rex45 sprint would too.

Agreed with both of these! BHQ should really do this. They are running out of Golden made models. Manix Backlock, Manix XL, and Lil Native would all be easy sellouts. Then on to M4 lightweights with Jade FRCP!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think one of the problems with the otherwise excellent back lock Manix 2 was precisely that a lot of people were bored with black G10 and S30V. There is nothing at all wrong with S30V but people are influenced by the internet but I can also understand the desire for something nicer. Gray G10 and M390, Cruwear, or something? Natural G10 (ugh!) and Cruwear? These would sell, I think.
However, a lot of people are smitten by the old fashioned liner lock because they like to fidget, even though it is a poorer lock than a back lock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

My problem with the model is I don't like the mini Manix.

If they had made a backlock full sized Manix, I would have bought two.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:27 pm
Not sure about "money on the table". It has been said in the past that knives get discontinued because of poor sales, so if the standard version isn't selling it's a risk to make very expensive sprint runs. Personally I think sprints would have sold in this model, but I also understand the business mentality of not taking every risk and instead focusing your production on safer bets.

Yeah, I think it is very dependent on the model. But for the Manix Backlock specifically, I think people were waiting on sprints/exclusives. In my mind, this model was made to cater to people who like the Manix, but prefer a backlock, so already established Spyderco users/afis. Just the type that are turned off these days by black/S30V.

While the Manix Backlock probably would never have broad appeal alongside the Manix 2, I think a few good exclusives/sprints like Rex45, Grey/Cruwear, BHQ M4, and Red/DLC 4V would have had no problem selling out to the afi market. I hope some dealer like BHQ resurrects this just like has been done for other "retired" knives like the Lum Tanto, G10 UKPK, G10 Caly, G10 Delica, etc, etc, etc. Or maybe Spyderco can include in the next Rex45 run as I said.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:39 pm
My problem with the model is I don't like the mini Manix.

If they had made a backlock full sized Manix, I would have bought two.

Some dealer (BHQ ...cough cough) should really resurrect the C95 Manix for an exclusive. Jade DLC M4 would sell like hotcakes. Especially with the original dino jimping! What an amazing beast of a knife. St Nicks could hit a home run with a Red DLC 4V version as well.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

And, then there are those of us who just don’t like the Manix, back lock or no.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Taking Spyderco’s best lock (there, I said it) and swapping it for a backlock guaranteed it would be a niche model.

What I would like to see is a linerless CBBL Manix 2. I guess if I put a little effort into it I could make linerless scales and find some appropriate thread inserts.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

zhyla wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:19 pm
Taking Spyderco’s best lock (there, I said it) and swapping it for a backlock guaranteed it would be a niche model.

I agree that it was a niche model. It would never have the broad appeal to non-enthusiasts, especially being more expensive than the CBBL Manix. So having it in a color/steel combo like black/S30V that we know is too plain for the enthusiast market makes little sense. Some models like this should be released in a non-standard, model appropriate steel and a non-black peel ply G10. Cruwear, M390, Rex45, etc. THEN, if you see tons of people whining about how there is no black/S30V model feel free to do a run of those for the laypersons.

I fear the chief may suffer the same fate. It is a large, expensive knife. Probably too big for the broad EDC market. S30V might be all the steel you ever need in this knife, but will it sell more knives than Cruwear or Rex45 or 4V or K390 or M390 could have? While there are a few 3V naysayers on this and other forums, I would bet my life savings that a production 3V Chief would outsell a production S30V Chief all day long. Supply and demand folks. Supply of black S30V folders (probably 10s of thousands) vs people who actually want to keep buying black S30V folders?? How about the supply of Cruwear folders (literally zero) vs the whole freaking CRUWEAR NATION??? :D What do you think will sell more Chiefs and Manix Backlocks??
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

The Manix is too big and bulky for me no matter what you do to it. On top of that, the newer backlock version was just too thick. Thin it down and round the edges like a Para 3 and make the blade less tall and get rid of the jimping all over the handle.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

As far as I am concerned, the Manix Backlock was the greatest knife Spyderco ever made. I love that thick blade. Doing it without liners and using nice beefy G10 is/was genius. It had the most refined backlock Spyderco ever made -- and made in Golden to boot.

I was crossing my fingers for Sprints or Exclusives, but decided not to let that hinder me from buying the S30V version. The knife changed both my bad attitude about backlocks AND about S30V.

I picked up two more when it went discontinued and was available at reduced prices.

But as it so often goes, the rest of the world didn't see it all as I did, and here we are.

I suppose Spyderco still has the tooling and could do an exclusive or sprint -- but it seems unlikely that anyone would risk that given that the S30V version flopped.

However, the Shaman fills the niche pretty nicely. I am even happier with the compression lock, and the Shaman has the same lovely thick blade stock.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:25 pm

As far as I am concerned, the Manix Backlock was the greatest knife Spyderco ever made...

...I suppose Spyderco still has the tooling and could do an exclusive or sprint -- but it seems unlikely that anyone would risk that given that the S30V version flopped.

If anyone could do it with pretty much zero risk it is BHQ with their Jade M4. I hope they see this and make some dreams come true! :D
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

If I could have only one Spyderco the Manix BL would probably be it. It’s excellent, but it’s not a great fidget toy.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Manix backlock? Two changes would be necessary to make me want one:

- Make it the XL
- Give it the regular, thinner blade stock of all the currently produced Manixes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:34 pm
zhyla wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:19 pm

I fear the chief may suffer the same fate. It is a large, expensive knife. Probably too big for the broad EDC market. S30V might be all the steel you ever need in this knife, but will it sell more knives than Cruwear or Rex45 or 4V or K390 or M390 could have? While there are a few 3V naysayers on this and other forums, I would bet my life savings that a production 3V Chief would outsell a production S30V Chief all day long. Supply and demand folks. Supply of black S30V folders (probably 10s of thousands) vs people who actually want to keep buying black S30V folders?? How about the supply of Cruwear folders (literally zero) vs the whole freaking CRUWEAR NATION??? :D What do you think will sell more Chiefs and Manix Backlocks??
Don't want to turn this into a "Chief-thread", so just a few thoughts:

- Actually not that big, almost exactly Endura size (and people like to carry the noticeable bigger Police or Military)
- More carry-friendly than the Manix backlock: Much lighter, slimmer, less bulky
- No competition by several similar models that basically just feature a different lock (like it is the case with the Manix backlock)
- Very long and very much anticipated and waited for by many (other than with the Manix BL)

So, I HOPE the Chief will be a winner! And I am one of the guys who are absolutely fine with S30V (and black G10).
Even prefer it over a more expensive and harder to sharpen steel...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)