Gone too Soon - Manix Backlock Deserves a 2nd Chance!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Gone too Soon - Manix Backlock Deserves a 2nd Chance!

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:32 am
Pancake wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:48 am
After handling my new Manix for a few hours, I could see how good it could be with backlock....maybe even with liners?

Does that mean you don´t like the CBBL? (Or just that you´d like a backlock even better ;) )
Hope you post about your new Manix in the "Manix REX 45 thread" (- believe it or not, my unusual back and forth on this exact knife (G10 REX 45) made me buy (another) Manix 2 LW, CTS BD1N, translucent blue in the end... :D .. but I´ll post about this elsewhere, don´t want to derail this thread)
Hahaha! I see we share a common sickness :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 pm
That is true for you, and probably others. However, I have noticed the discussion that some prefer a liner lock and do not like back locks and etc. I know we all have preferences, but the back lock is still superior.

This Manix is not too big. In fact, after carrying a Manix, all other knives start to feel dainty and the Manix starts to seem smaller.
Don't get me wrong, I love my back locks and prefer them to most other locks. In fact, frame lock and comp lock are tied in a very distant second place. That said, if I like the over design and aesthetic, the lock type (or lack of lock even!) does not stop me from buying. But too thick or too heavy, too long, etc., does prevent a purchase. There is a point where I would rather have a fixed blade at that point.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:14 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:52 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:09 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:05 am
Regrettably, I also don’t see it in stock.
National Knives has it still.

https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco ... 10-handle/
Thanks for the courtesy, Julia. I've now ordered it.

And apologies to steelcity16, who last year in this same thread, also alerted to its availability and asked if I succeeded in getting one. I see I never responded... :o
No problem! I'd love to see comparison pics when the new one arrives.
The original Mini-Manix (C101GP) and the Manix2 Backlock (C101MBGP2) compared (subject to parallax):

Original (top) is very slightly shorter both in handle and blade. Note difference in handle shape at pivot. Lock divot on M2 slightly longer

Original’s (beneath) blade height is somewhat greater than the Manix2’s (parallax exaggerates only slightly here).

M2’s (left) thicker scales preserve width of lined original.

Unlike the spot-on blade-centering of the M2 (here parallax and a lean deceive), my original is off-center (apparently a common complaint for the model). Mine doesn’t rub so I’m OK with it, especially after having taken it down to its component parts twice (and getting them back together; like my Ruger Mark I :mad: ) to adjust. I see the M2 as a refined version of the rougher original.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Thanks for those! ^^^ It's more similar than I was expecting, actually, aside from the liners, of course. Everything on the M2 does look a bit sleeker and more refined, as you said. The blade stock appears about equal - would you agree? It's interesting to me they preserved the overall thickness of the handles and the blade from the old version to the new one, especially since it seems like the thinner M2 appeals to more people.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Great comparison! Thanks!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:32 pm
The blade stock appears about equal - would you agree? It's interesting to me they preserved the overall thickness of the handles and the blade from the old version to the new one, especially since it seems like the thinner M2 appeals to more people.
About equal, but not equal.

The battery on my electronic caliper is dead, but I set the M2’s blade width on it and could not get the original into that width.

I imagine the width on the M2 handle was to ward off too much flex in this “hard-use” folder, and since the M2 harkens the original, why not use that width.

I do like this width. But I don’t like the CBBL model any less because its width is less. Either width will do me just fine, perhaps because the handle profile in both just fits my hand.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Cycletroll wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:01 pm
Great comparison! Thanks!
Thank you.

gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

IMG_20200622_114045-01_compress42.jpg
IMG_20200622_114407-01_compress11.jpg
I love my backlock Manix 2 so much I had to hunt down the original Manix and Mini Manix backlocks. It's fascinating to see the evolutionary refinements and changes for the Manix 2.
vivi

Post by vivi »

gundamaniac wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:16 pm
IMG_20200622_114045-01_compress42.jpgIMG_20200622_114407-01_compress11.jpg

I love my backlock Manix 2 so much I had to hunt down the original Manix and Mini Manix backlocks. It's fascinating to see the evolutionary refinements and changes for the Manix 2.
Nice seeing another C95!
:unicorn
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

If they put the liners back, or gave it the dino liners of the M2, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

They really need to do a throwback sprint or flash batch of the OG C95 Manix with Dino Jimping. Something like Cru-Carta would be amazing. Or at least Cruwear with a non-black color of Peel Ply G10.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I want the return of the Manix 2 back lock. I love that big pivot and linerless construction. What would be great is a Salt version.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Yes! I don't think the linerless construction sacrifices anything. One of my favorites, as I have said many times.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I kind of feel like the Manix Back Lock could do a 'Shaman' (going from relative obscurity to smash hit) if it got a sprint or exclusive in a good high end tool steel like CruWear, 4v or Rex 45.

I bought one after they were discontinued and I'm glad I did. It's pretty much the perfect expression of a hard working back lock. Spyderco's golden back lock models are pretty much the best fit and finish back locks I've ever handled, and I feel like they don't get enough respect/love. Hopefully the Shaman (and Native sprints) can help revive the Manix back lock.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:09 pm
I kind of feel like the Manix Back Lock could do a 'Shaman' (going from relative obscurity to smash hit) if it got a sprint or exclusive in a good high end tool steel like CruWear, 4v or Rex 45.

I bought one after they were discontinued and I'm glad I did. It's pretty much the perfect expression of a hard working back lock. Spyderco's golden back lock models are pretty much the best fit and finish back locks I've ever handled, and I feel like they don't get enough respect/love. Hopefully the Shaman (and Native sprints) can help revive the Manix back lock.
I like that idea. It would certainly tempt me. How about 4V -- ah, yes, you have called it already!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'd like to get a sprint. Maybe a Dark Green/S90V.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!