Gone too Soon - Manix Backlock Deserves a 2nd Chance!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Gone too Soon - Manix Backlock Deserves a 2nd Chance!

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:21 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:11 am
BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:04 pm
If the regular Manix would be a knife I want (I don´t, solely cause it offers too little actual edge, especially in relation to the quite massive overall package), I´d prefer it in backlock over CBBL (though I like the CBBL also) if it came in the same thinner blade stock
But the backlock has imho unnecessarely 3.7 mm blade stock, and I thinl even the stock of the regular Manix (3.2 mm) could be a bit thinner...
This knife is a beast, no doubt about it. But don’t let that thick spine fool you. It gets thin mighty fast moving to the edge.

I believe you of course! But, honestly, that just makes me imagine what an even better slicer it would be with a 3mm blade stock ;) (and 3mm is still thick enough for probably ANY folder out there...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:53 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:00 pm
Everyone reply to this comment if you would buy a BHQ Jade / DLC M4 Manix Backlock exclusive!! I'm in for two!!! :D Let's get this thing made! :D
Unfortunately you lost me at DLC.. I will only buy a knife with a black blade if there's no other choice available, and then reluctantly :)

Luckily for us BHQ has done both Satin and DLC in pretty much every M4 blade they have offered. Hopefully they do it for this model as well!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:00 pm
Everyone reply to this comment if you would buy a BHQ Jade / DLC M4 Manix Backlock exclusive!! I'm in for two!!! :D Let's get this thing made! :D
I would buy a satin but not a dlc.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:06 pm
BHQ could commission an exclusive and sell out in a day
That would get my money. I liked the Manix 2, aside from the lock. I didn't get the backlock on sale because I'm not the biggest fan of S30V, that coupled with no liners killed it for me.

I'd buy the M4, even linerless.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Mine spent a season as my yard/garage knife. I was shocked to see it discontinued so soon, but agree that the lack of steel options for a model that was nearly identical to one that most people already own likely contributed to the low sales. Lets have it BHQ! I still would love to see a linerless PM2 Backlock with thinner stock rather than thicker like this knife had.

3 pages and no pics!?! :)

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Great pics! Such a great design! I would bet this would have been a great seller with CPM-CRUWEAR as the base steel and a nice color PEEL PLY G10 scales and options for both DLC and Stonewash. I don't really care for the fine texture on the G10 for these. This is a big beastly work knife. Why decrease the coarseness of the grip? :confused:

I really hope this comes back at some point as a dealer exclusive. It sounds like BHQ is considering it. And why wouldn't they? They are running out of Golden models and every one sells out in 5 minutes. No brainer to do this and a Manix XL.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Nice coarse grippy matte flat slab Micarta scales with CPM-CRUWEAR is another combo that would have really made this model stand out from the CBBL Manix as a production knife. You would now be reaching Micarta fans, backlock fans, Manix fans, and the entire CRUWEAR NATION! :D Look at how much interest the CRUWEAR Micarta Shaman is getting. If that one ever makes it to production I bet they will sell out in minutes at every dealer they hit. Good luck getting one. Having a CRUWEAR/Micarta knife in standard production, especially something in the Manix/Native family, would be a strong seller. This Manix Backlock would have been perfect.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

There's a lot of posts here that say "if the backlock had been a different steel, it would have sold better". Here's a differing view: I've had a Manix2 for 10 years (purchased 2009, it's got the original hollow grind 154CM blade) so I'm a long-time Manix2 owner. But I've never really liked the CBBL and was excited to see the backlock version get announced -- until I actually saw pics of it. The lack of liners and aggressive jimping killed it for me. I like those features in the Manix2, and without those, I had no interest in the backlock version. I definitely do not want smooth linerless G10 in a work knife; a FRN version with nested liners would be better than that. But the steel used in the backlock version had nothing to do with my decision to pass on this model.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i also prefer liners with a backlock. my frn backlock spyderco knives are strong enough for just about any work i would put them through, but i like a more solid feeling knife. all of them have a little bit of wiggle or play that you don't get with knives that have steel liners.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:21 pm
i also prefer liners with a backlock. my frn backlock spyderco knives are strong enough for just about any work i would put them through, but i like a more solid feeling knife. all of them have a little bit of wiggle or play that you don't get with knives that have steel liners.

Have you tried a Native LW? It feels MUCH more solid that the some of the Seki FRN models like my Pacific Salts. Not to say that the Pacifc Salts aren't solid feeling, but the Native LW feels ROCK solid to me. I would think the thick G10 on this would be more than sufficient to give the Manix Backlock a solid feel for anything outside of prying a door open maybe.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i have a native salt. it has had some play issues that seem to have magically worked themselves out. not sure how that happened. it is a pretty solid feeling knife overall though, even when i was having issues with it. my pacific salt doesn't have any play, but it does have some flex, probably due to the length of the blade and lack of liners. both are plenty strong, but would be stronger with liners.

i have held the manix backlock. i didn't think to check for play or how sturdy it felt because the handle thickness was all i needed to see to know i didn't want it. i don't understand why spyderco made it so thick. i mean, was it so that it would be more robust? it could've been thinner and had liners to accomplish the same thing. it was just too thick for me to want to stick in my pocket. i was fine with the thicker blade stock, but the overall added thickness between the blade stock and the handles was too much for me.

of course, you have to take what i say with a grain of salt. if i didn't already have a manix 2 lw that i loved at the time, the manix backlock may have been a more compelling knife to me. unfortunately for every other knife, they will always be compared to my favorites. it's why i've passed on many models, to include the caribbean and manix backlock.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:28 pm
i have a native salt. it has had some play issues that seem to have magically worked themselves out. not sure how that happened. it is a pretty solid feeling knife overall though, even when i was having issues with it. my pacific salt doesn't have any play, but it does have some flex, probably due to the length of the blade and lack of liners. both are plenty strong, but would be stronger with liners.

i have held the manix backlock. i didn't think to check for play or how sturdy it felt because the handle thickness was all i needed to see to know i didn't want it. i don't understand why spyderco made it so thick. i mean, was it so that it would be more robust? it could've been thinner and had liners to accomplish the same thing. it was just too thick for me to want to stick in my pocket. i was fine with the thicker blade stock, but the overall added thickness between the blade stock and the handles was too much for me.

of course, you have to take what i say with a grain of salt. if i didn't already have a manix 2 lw that i loved at the time, the manix backlock may have been a more compelling knife to me. unfortunately for every other knife, they will always be compared to my favorites. it's why i've passed on many models, to include the caribbean and manix backlock.

I assume they thought they could get the same rigidity as a linered version by having thicker G10, and keeping the weight lower than a linered version at the same time. I used to be all about the linered G10 Native 5, but the linerless G10 Natives and Native LWs are more than adequate for even the toughest duties a folder would see while saving a ton of weight. I ended up selling both of my linered G10 Natives.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:34 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:28 pm

I assume they thought they could get the same rigidity as a linered version by having thicker G10, and keeping the weight lower than a linered version at the same time. I used to be all about the linered G10 Native 5, but the linerless G10 Natives and Native LWs are more than adequate for even the toughest duties a folder would see while saving a ton of weight. I ended up selling both of my linered G10 Natives.
i assume that’s why they did it. i think it wasn’t as desirable to most people with that design, hence the lower sales and getting discontinued.

i personally haven’t handled a linerless g10 native. i felt that the balance of the lined g10 version was too handle-heavy though. obviously, it’s not actually heavy; i just didn’t like the balance of it.

my native salt is probably the last linerless backlock i’ll purchase though. i just don’t prefer linerless backlocks.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:36 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:25 pm
As far as I am concerned, the Manix Backlock was the greatest knife Spyderco ever made. I love that thick blade. Doing it without liners and using nice beefy G10 is/was genius. It had the most refined backlock Spyderco ever made -- and made in Golden to boot.
I agree 100%.
Definitely agree. I think I would take just about any Sprints of the M2BL. Quite possibly my favorite Spyderco model ever.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

BDNX wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:59 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:36 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:25 pm
As far as I am concerned, the Manix Backlock was the greatest knife Spyderco ever made. I love that thick blade. Doing it without liners and using nice beefy G10 is/was genius. It had the most refined backlock Spyderco ever made -- and made in Golden to boot.
I agree 100%.
Definitely agree. I think I would take just about any Sprints of the M2BL. Quite possibly my favorite Spyderco model ever.
Yes, this is the one knife I would keep if forced to get rid of the rest.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I have one. Its a keeper. But in terms of ergos and weight I really prefer the manix 2 lightweight. I would love to see a screw construction mid backlock manix 2 lightweight.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:46 am
I have one. Its a keeper. But in terms of ergos and weight I really prefer the manix 2 lightweight. I would love to see a screw construction mid backlock manix 2 lightweight.

I like the sound of that! I would also still love to see the Manix Backlock return in an exclusive. Same with original C95 Manix with Dino Jimping. All in Cruwear! ;)
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Carrying mine today! One of my favorites.

Lots of people asked for it, and few purchased. Sales did not warrant a sprint or further production
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Popsickle wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:05 pm

Lots of people asked for it, and few purchased. Sales did not warrant a sprint or further production

It's one of those that I think should have been produced in Cruwear rather than S30V. It is a big beefy knife. Cruwear would have been perfect. And as the only production Cruwear folder that in itself would have driven plenty of sales.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:21 pm
Popsickle wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:05 pm

It's one of those that I think should have been produced in Cruwear rather than S30V. It is a big beefy knife. Cruwear would have been perfect. And as the only production Cruwear folder that in itself would have driven plenty of sales.
I understand the desire for a different steel but the s30v on mine has been beat up and hasn’t done me wrong. From a marketing stand point..... yes it should have come out in a different steel. From a user stand point........ questionable, but I think that’s a product of the market we have now. People want a variety and I get that