Poll for Folding MULE - UKPK

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Are you interested in a UKPK MULE?

YES
47%
NO
53%

Total votes: 77

ZrowsN1s

Poll for Folding MULE - UKPK

Post by ZrowsN1s »

There has been a discussion of a Folding MULE. That discussion can be found here http://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=120

With the idea in mind that a UKPK would keep cost to minimum. And allow the most people, in the most states and countries, to be able to Legally purchase and carry a MULE. So that the most people possible could experience a new steel.... Would you buy one if they were made?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
steelcity16

Re: Poll for Folding MULE - UKPK

Post by steelcity16 »

Yes, my preference is for a Native LW or Para 3 LW as the mule form factor, but I would be ok with a UKPK. Fixed blades are out for me. I just don't have the opportunity to use them often enough.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like the idea of the variety of steels the mules get being available in a standard folder platform, but I also think a fixed blade is the best option for testing steels, since you can really lean on them and push them without fear of damaging a pivot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Voted "no", cause the final question in your post is "would you buy one...", so I understand the title of the poll as "am I personally interested in a UKPK Mule".
I am not, solely cause I would not buy or like to carry a non-locking-folder. Or, would not like to carry it often enough to really being able to test the steel.

That being said: The plain idea of a Mule folder, legal almost everywhere, is interesting indeed. Still, not for me personally.

And in a way I am with David /Evil D.: The less "sturdy" and "safe" a Mule is, the less ways for really safely testing the steel (even to it's limits) remain. Another reason for if not a fixed blade, at least a sturdier locking folder..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I would support this wholeheartedly. Personally, I am far more likely to carry a folder than a fixed blade, so a folding Mule would see a lot more everyday use than a fixed blade.

However, the whole idea of a folding Mule is a bit of a departure from the traditional meaning of the term, and I don't know if such a program would be desirable from Spyderco's point of view.

But, yes, in answer to the thread, I absolutely would support a UKPK folding Mule project.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

For me it's fixed blade only. I'll save my money for fancy steels in exclusives. Love the "kit" knife aspect and enjoy making and experimenting with different handle materials.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Count me in for sure.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Love this idea. A folding mule I would actually have a reason to buy, use, and collect!. As mentioned above, I also have no use for fixed blade knives, so the fixed mules are useless for me unfortunately.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Count me in as well. Fixed blades only factor in for me while camping...and the ukpk is officially the most comfortable knife I've ever had in my hand since acquiring the HH exclusive.

For the sake of my bank account, I hope this model doesn't go on an exclusive/sprint tear like the PM2 and Para 3 did last year!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've said it before that I'm up for this.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I voted no. Although I like the UK Pen Knife and currently own two and have a third on the shortlist of ones to purchase, I think it is a terrible platform to serve as mule! Why? I may wish to apply substantial pressure to the tip and twisting motion which is not a good thing to do with a blade that doesn't lock. I'd also probably like to push a mule a bit harder than what a small folder should do, especially if it is supposed to be a tough steel. I much prefer to stay with the fixed blade format, but if it is giving way to a folder, I would prefer that it lock and have a larger blade ... which is likely going to be twice the cost of a fixed blade mule and I'd rather have two fixed blade mules than one folder mule.

If a mule is going to be a small blade, maybe it should be a box cutter with razor blades available in various steels as this could be done inexpensively and it sounds like you guys want a mule for light duty slicing like cutting paper, cardboard, and rope.

My .02,

CG

P.S. I will continue to buy UK Pen Knives featuring interesting steels for light duty EDC and collecting, however I will never see it serving as a mule due to its limited uses. These should be offered as sprints and exclusives; not mules.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Throw a backlock on the ukpk pattern, make the scales as plain as possible, mule it.

I'd still be down for ukpk mules though.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I voted No on a UKPK mule. More significantly, Sal has already stated why any folding mule is not likely.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I think a UKPK is the worst possible option... until the next poll is made for a Higonokami mule. The point of the mules is to test all aspects of the steel for future models. There are many things you simply cannot do with a non-locking knife (and things you shouldn't do to folders in general), and therefore there is a lot you cannot learn from it. It would be an interesting and fun thing to do, but it would not be a mule at all.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is one reason the Urban LW is going in that direction, I think. It is a nice platform for getting new steels in a knife many of us would actually carry and use everyday. A fixed blade gets little real world use in my life anymore. I have to purposely decide to do testing to use one. With a small folder, I will have it with me and cut everything I can find, from apples, to mail, from boxes, to cord, and whatever else in my daily life needs cutting. So, I am in favor of the folding mule.

And, BTW, Sal, thank you again for giving us good steels in the Urban LW to test.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:34 pm
Voted "no", cause the final question in your post is "would you buy one...", so I understand the title of the poll as "am I personally interested in a UKPK Mule".
I am not, solely cause I would not buy or like to carry a non-locking-folder. Or, would not like to carry it often enough to really being able to test the steel.

That being said: The plain idea of a Mule folder, legal almost everywhere, is interesting indeed. Still, not for me personally.

And in a way I am with David /Evil D.: The less "sturdy" and "safe" a Mule is, the less ways for really safely testing the steel (even to it's limits) remain. Another reason for if not a fixed blade, at least a sturdier locking folder..
Quoting myself :) (see above) to add a thought: IF a folding mule at all, maybe something like the upcoming Endela would be a good platform? I know, UK people (and surely others) could not CARRY it legally (and that´s a shame!) but still test it (at home), in return on the other hand in many other places of the world people could test it in MORE ways and harder and safer as they could a NON locking folder.

The Endela would have a blade length that can perform most folder tasks, but still is legal in many places. Plus, it has a very sturdy, true and tested (in Delica and Endura) construction (FRN, liners...) and backlock. And should be just a no nonsense great utility folder and therefore a good and widely excepted testing-platform... ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:05 pm
I voted No on a UKPK mule. More significantly, Sal has already stated why any folding mule is not likely.
Yep, he sure has
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:14 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Yep, he sure has
"There are many factors that affected the Mule Team project.

1. They were all sold consumer direct at low margins to keep the cost low to the Steel Junky's. This meant fairly low volumes.
2. They were sold without sheaths or handles for the most part which also kept the cost low and our inventory issues simple.
3. If they are sold through dealer networks, the price increases considerably.
4. If we use a folder such as the UK, much higher volumes would have to be made due to minimum quantities the foundries require. I question of the market is large enough. Also the cost of a folder is considerably great to produce.

We can discuss potential options, but remember, the first time I introduced the idea, it was shot down. The second time there was more interest, so I decided to try it. I'm not sure what format could/would work. I'll keep a "drafty brain" (open mind) in the discussion.

sal"

There are issues to overcome, but he sounds open to the possibility to me.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I guess if the new Urban sprint is a success i.e. sells out and is profitable, then the possibility of more sprints improves.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:18 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:14 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Yep, he sure has
"There are many factors that affected the Mule Team project.

1. They were all sold consumer direct at low margins to keep the cost low to the Steel Junky's. This meant fairly low volumes.
2. They were sold without sheaths or handles for the most part which also kept the cost low and our inventory issues simple.
3. If they are sold through dealer networks, the price increases considerably.
4. If we use a folder such as the UK, much higher volumes would have to be made due to minimum quantities the foundries require. I question of the market is large enough. Also the cost of a folder is considerably great to produce.

We can discuss potential options, but remember, the first time I introduced the idea, it was shot down. The second time there was more interest, so I decided to try it. I'm not sure what format could/would work. I'll keep a "drafty brain" (open mind) in the discussion.

sal"

There are issues to overcome, but he sounds open to the possibility to me.
Don’t get me wrong. I don’t dislike the mule idea. I have benefited from others’ participation.

But, like I said elsewhere, certain Spydie models have been showing up in a variety of “exotic” steels that is far more broad than when the original mule program began. This variety has diminished one of that program’s most compelling attractions.

Being only steel-curious (as opposed to being a testing junky), I have acquired almost all the FB mule steels, but in a variety of Glesser models that had me even more curious.

Sal must have the likes of me in mind when hinting at a soft(ened) interest in mules. Moreover, I imagine BFK’s doubts about distribution have also crossed his mind.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”