Future of H1?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Future of H1?

Post by steelcity16 »

With an LC200N Pacific Salt and Dragonfly Salt on the horizon, does this mean H1 is going to be phased out of Seki? If new models like the Endela, Police LW, or Dragofly Wharnie get "salinated", will they go straight to LC200N, or is H1 still the plan for most salts? Has the idea of having all of the PE be in LC200N while SE being H1 ever been discussed?? I hope H1 is always a part of the lineup. It is a truly amazing steel, even in PE.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
loamy47

Re: Future of H1?

Post by loamy47 »

It really would be a shame to see H1 disappear. My Dragonfly Salt has lasted through staple pulling, cutting through a metal seal, and cutting down a couple saplings when I couldn't find my shears, plus about two weeks of heavy EDC work all without needing to be sharpened once. Add in being rustproof, and you have a gem of a steel that people really seem to underappreciate.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

At the beginning I was all for keeping the SE options in H1, but I'm sort of on the fence now. My Caribbean is proving to be a heck of a knife. So far it seems to me that the only real advantage H1 has is more toughness and apparently something like .001% more rust proof since it seems that LC can rust under the right conditions. As easy as H1 is to sharpen, I have to say I'm getting even better response from LC, it's one of the easiest steels I've worked with and reminds me of a rust proof 52100 in how it sharpens (only because both get stupid sharp with little to no effort).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

I don't have any lc for comparison, serrated h1 is pretty awesome though. I'm curious what the cost difference would be between the 2 steels.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

LC200N is pretty nice in plain edge. I just don't think H1 will be phased out any time soon. I don't think it's been dethroned as the king of SE yet. I also think the toughness is a good selling point too. But everyone feels differently about everything. I never saw a piece of steel curl up and then straighten back out without snapping. That's what H1 can do. I stocked up on SE spyderhawks with the last sprint and I have an extra SE yellow handle one too. I just wish the orange sprint had the tip like the yellow models. It was a bit thicker.

And if you look at the yellow handled models H1's future is bright.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Will the LC200N Pacific and Deagonfly .salts be manufactured in Seki, or moved to Taichung or Golden? I was thinking that Seki models would mostly stick with H1(?).

Jim
araneae

Post by araneae »

James Y wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:34 pm
Will the LC200N Pacific and Deagonfly .salts be manufactured in Seki, or moved to Taichung or Golden? I was thinking that Seki models would mostly stick with H1(?).

Jim
Spyderco doesn't tend to move models to different facilities. I can't see them leaving seki when there are vg-10 dragonflies being made there.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal