Endela - less pronounced, less "pointy" finger grooves than Endura / Delica?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Endela - less pronounced, less "pointy" finger grooves than Endura / Delica?!

Post by Wartstein »

Just a quick post since that might be good news for some:

Looked at a pic of the upcoming Endela. This model is practically a Endura /Delica, placed in size between these two, but having the same overall shape.

But the finger grooves on the handle seem to be less pronounced and the ""tips" between the grooves less pointy. If that is true, it may be good news for those who don´t like the grooves on Endura and Delica (in my case they fit my hands perfectly well). Maybe it is just the picture though.

I´ve attached the pics from the Spyderco homepage of Endela, Endura and Delica. If you want to look and them in better quality, you have to go to the homepage yourself
Attachments
Endela.png
Endura.png
Delica.png
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Re: Endela - less pronounced, less "pointy" finger grooves than Endura / Delica?!

Post by sal »

Very observant Wartein.

I designed the handle with less pronounced "finger placement" due to the complaints that I'd received about the Endura by some that it didn't fit, and I wanted to avoid that issue. There is still enough to avoid the "rolling" of a "stick" handle, but it might be more comfortable for some people.

sal
ABX2011

Re: Endela - less pronounced, less "pointy" finger grooves than Endura / Delica?!

Post by ABX2011 »

Great observation, looks like a winner.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

And I thought it was just "Smoke and Mirrors"!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

How many other companies are so responsive to their customers?

We ask and they deliver. It’s amazing!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:20 pm
Very observant Wartein.

I designed the handle with less pronounced "finger placement" due to the complaints that I'd received about the Endura by some that it didn't fit, and I wanted to avoid that issue. There is still enough to avoid the "rolling" of a "stick" handle, but it might be more comfortable for some people.

sal
No wonder I noticed the less pronounced finger placements: Really excited about the Endela, looked at the depictions a lot... ;)

As said, for my hands the current Endura/ Delica have a perfect fit, but still: Will we see the new, noticable flater shape of the Endela-handle also in upcoming, "cqi-ed" Enduras/Delicas?!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I'd really suggest to everyone who did not like the Endura/ Delica finger grooves to compare the first pic in my original post (Endela) to the second and third pic (Endura, Delica), best to be seen in the closed position:

Really a noticeable change, the Endela handle no longer has that "prongues" that potentially could be uncomfortable for some hands, and noticable less deeper grooves.
Could make all the difference for those having issues with the Endura handle...
Tims

Post by Tims »

It does seem that the spacing has remained the same which has always been my issue with the Endura/Delica, I’m sure for others too. The first space is too big for one finger and too small for two.
Not to worry, plenty of other models to keep me happy.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

As far as the Endela goes, I am unsure why we didn't just get a Stretch with a Straight spine. Folks have been requesting it for longer than I have been hanging out around here.

The Stretch handle is great and I think the blade shape was the issue for most folks and not the choil. The ricasso still takes up almost as much space as the choil and now it is just wasted space. I have a hard time imagining that I will prefer the ergos on the Endela over the Stretch. I am anxious to see them side by side because I could be missing something that I will only see when the knife is in hand. :) I am still definitely going to buy one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:46 am
As far as the Endela goes, I am unsure why we didn't just get a Stretch with a Straight spine. Folks have been requesting it for longer than I have been hanging out around here.

The Stretch handle is great and I think the blade shape was the issue for most folks and not the choil. The ricasso still takes up almost as much space as the choil and now it is just wasted space. I have a hard time imagining that I will prefer the ergos on the Endela over the Stretch. I am anxious to see them side by side because I could be missing something that I will only see when the knife is in hand. :) I am still definitely going to buy one.
Huge Stretch Fan here, but still I think the Endela is a whole different knife and both have their pros and cons over each other:

Dimension-wise (closed-, blade-, edge-length) FRN Stretch 2 and Endela are almost exactly the same (the latter being lighter)

But: While the blade-part of the Stretchs 50:50 choil is almost the same in size as the Ricasso on the Endela, the choil as a whole causes the hand to be further from the edge in a regular, not choked up grip on the Stretch

So if most times you want to use your knife in a regular grip, the Endela has it's advantages. Plus: There is more space on the actual handle behind the choil.

And I've said that several times already: Just for me personally choking up on the Endura-/Delica- Ricasso never was a problem, never unsafe and really comfortable enough...

That said: A straight spined Stretch would be cool, though I'd most likely prefer the current blade shape still (and Stretch 1 over Stretch 2).
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I like that they fashioned the ricasso area like the Delica and Endura making this knife true to its heritage.
It looks to me like the first finger ridge is so small that your finger could be on top of it without discomfort. I'm definitely getting one but I'll wait for a supersteel. I see no reason why this model would not be a huge success with its lineage.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Endela vs Stretch can be summarized as no choil vs choil.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:00 am
I like that they fashioned the ricasso area like the Delica and Endura making this knife true to its heritage.
It looks to me like the first finger ridge is so small that your finger could be on top of it without discomfort. I'm definitely getting one but I'll wait for a supersteel. I see no reason why this model would not be a huge success with its lineage.
I am pretty sure it will be a big success... in another thread I wondered and asked what on earth took Spyderco so long to come up with a model sized between Endura and Delica. Sal answered something like that indeed the Stretch was supposed to take that place and that did not work out as desired..
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I don't understand the problem to start with. I have large hands, and the points don't line up to my fingers, but it has never bothered me. When cutting with the Delica wharnie, which I do a lot, and hard, I usually hold it back about a finger width from the ricasso anyway, as well as numerous other holds for different cuts. It's rarely held in hand like you hold it to feel the knife's ergos. Also, it's real easy to sand them down a bit, or right off, if you want. I know it's just my opinion, and some knives really don't fit the hand at all... but they're not Spydercos.
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

Hi Darby, I just received a proto.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

sal wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:53 am

sal
Great news Sal! I am looking forward to it!

Sorry if it seems like I am piling on the Endela. :o I am a Stretch fan and am probably being a little defensive of it. :) I hope the Endela is a hit!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I can't wait for the Endela.I was dreaming for this knife in secret,so i'm really exited,and i hope there will be colors in the future..The Endura/Delica fit my hand like a glove,so less pointy is not an issue for me,but i'ts remarkable the attention with which Spyderco is catering to it's fans.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spyderwolf wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:58 am
I can't wait for the Endela.I was dreaming for this knife in secret,so i'm really exited,and i hope there will be colors in the future..The Endura/Delica fit my hand like a glove,so less pointy is not an issue for me,but i'ts remarkable the attention with which Spyderco is catering to it's fans.
Right, I ususally rotate between Stretch 1, Endura and now sometimes PM2, I can see the Endela taking it´s place in that rotation.
Colors? YES! I´d like a blue one... ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:53 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

sal
Another knife I absolutely HAVE TO try... oh man, Endela, Chief, and now straight spined Stretch (not to forget Manix XL which I just lately really got aware of in detail...) ;)

I know that there won´t probably an answer at this point in time, but nevertheless: Will the straight spined Stretch feature the longer blade of the current G10 version (3.57 " which I would prefer), or the shorter of the FRN / VG10 version (3.43") ?!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:10 am
I don't understand the problem to start with. I have large hands, and the points don't line up to my fingers, but it has never bothered me....
Same here. L to XL hands, both Endura and Delica are very comfortable for me. But I think the Endela will be as well, plus maybe for MORE people due to the less pronounced "pronges" between the finger grooves