Sage 5 Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Theldraskien

Re: Sage 5 Lightweight

Post by Theldraskien »

People get passionate about their interests and honestly I’d rather hear what really interests people than just a bunch of knife pic threads and what’s in the mail.

On topic - how do you guys find the Sage compares to the Native?
sal

Post by sal »

glocknurse wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:16 am
I was really interested in this knife when reporting from the Amsterdam show said the weight was 1.85oz., now BladeHQ has the weight listed as 2.70oz. I'm still interested, just not as much. Has anyone heard which weight is correct?

Hi Glocknurse,

Welcome to our forum.

I just weighed mine. 81.1 gms = 2.86 oz.

Hey AlexBouic, Ailevin,

Welcome to our forum. Sorry for the late welcome.

sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Theldraskien wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:38 pm
People get passionate about their interests and honestly I’d rather hear what really interests people than just a bunch of knife pic threads and what’s in the mail.

Sounds like you need to be in on this thread in case you've missed it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79554&start=1260
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:25 pm
He just says the same things over and over and over again in so many threads. This has to be at least the 30th thread I've read him talk about choking up on the **** ricasso.
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Theldraskien wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:02 pm
Some things that work for one person don’t work for others. Sharing our experience and knowledge is why we’re all here. I don’t think it’s worth getting excited about it.
Not worked up, just tiring reading about SE blades, Chaparral, Stretch, Endela, backlocks all over the place every day in so many threads. It's on a loop.
I am sorry that you don´t like my posts no more, Rick!

But without meaning to be offensive, I think what you´ve got to realize: This forum is not about you or how many posts and threads you (or other very active members) normally read.
Both you and me are among the members who probably posted the most content related to the time we´ve been active here (you over 3000 posts since the end of 2018, me over 4000 since mid 2018). Plus: Presumably we read a lot or most posts since 2018.
So I could absolutely say the same about you; I keep reading about the same knives and preferences of yours over and over again, I see you posting the same knives over and over again. But that´s just fine with me, and the way it just goes if one both writes and reads a lot here. (And I like that you and others share their passion for certain aspects, show their "character" and discuss what they like)

But there are a lot more people, who are maybe new to the forum, or just occasional lurkers, or don´t spend much time here and only read selected threads or just if they themselves are quoted in a post.
And, though it may sound ironic: My goal and approach here is not to make sure that I stop discussing or giving advice about stuff I am passionate about as soon as I assume that Rick "TkoK83Spy" (or some other very active member) should have taken in what I like ;)
I rather discuss stuff when it comes up, and give advice when I think it helps - for many it will be the first time they read about it, for some rather active members (like you) it will be a repetition.

But if it brings you joy to deliberately read my posts (you know, you don´t have to ;) ) and use them to let some steam off afterwards: Feel free to do so, I am happy to provide! :)

Have a nice day,

Gernot
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Theldraskien wrote:

Never had a Sage, but a Native 5 LW.
That being said:

- Both have the for a small (if "choiled") folder perfect handle shape: No (PM2-ish) "hook" at the end of the handle, but instead maximizing the grip area there by making the downside of the handle (and by that the grip area) as long as possible. I like that a lot.

- I like comp. locks in smaller knives, but the backlock of the Native is maybe Spydercos best executed backlock, so that´s a plus for the Native for me

- Still I´d go with the Sage 5: Slightly thinner blade stock, and (important for me personally in a small folder) 10% more actual edge. Plus, totally subjective and non-rational: The Sage just has something about it that makes me want to grab it and cut something immidiately - more so than then Native (though I liked my Native 5 a lot when I had it, don´t get me wrong)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

So, yeah I’m enthralled with this little knife. Would love a run in foliage or ranger green with a good tool steel. A guy can dream...
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

sal wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:07 pm
Unadan wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:22 am
Sal can we expect some sprint run/exclusive runs of the Sage 5 LW in different colors/steels? Thx. A Sage 5 LW in K390 would be pretty cool.
Anything is possible.

I'm carrying one today. I wouldn't mind one in K390.

sal
What are your impressions on the Rex 121 sage 5 lw that you’ve been carrying?
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

Theldraskien wrote:

Sage is my preference. Thinner, slicker blade and better grip comfort for me. Native is a solid platform. If you're looking for a small but more thickly ground blade and don't mind the back lock, it's a good choice.
Jim
Matus

Post by Matus »

Native 5 strikes me more a smaller, but heavier duty knife, while Sage wold be for me more of an EDC knife. Both are great.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...