Sage 5 Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Sage 5 Lightweight

Post by Wartstein »

Edward_Scissorhands wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:07 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:02 pm
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:55 pm
carrot wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks! TBH, I like the look/shape of the Para 3 blade more than the Sage. Also, it's a little lighter. Wish the quality was a bit higher, but it's still not bad.

My main thing is, I don't like a lot of weight in my pocket. From the research I've done, it looks like it doesn't get much better than the Para 3 LW unless I want to get the itty bitty knives like the Dragonfly. About 2.4 oz seems to be the lower limit while still having a decent-sized grip and blade.
Chaparral FRN: 2.1 oz
Delica: 2.3 oz
And that despite both having full liners...

Both imho a lot better than the Para 3, starting with the reasonably thin blade stock, the much better use of the available grip area and so on...
I was looking at the Delicas, but I think I'd miss having the finger choil.
You really have to handle one if you get the chance!

I and others like to choke up on the Ricasso just like on a dedicated finger choil - for me this is perfectly safe, comfortable and gives me even more control than many choils do. Additionally the Ricasso-style places your hand closer to the edge in a regular, not choked up grip and offers a lot of space on the actual handle

But: Some people don´t like to choke up on that Ricasso... you´d have to try for yourself...

/ Chaparral: Just an amazing knife. And has the thin blade stock (2mm) a small knife "deserves" imho and makes it a superior cutter
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
carrot

Post by carrot »

I eschewed the Delica for a long time in favor of choiled knives, despite it being my first Spyderco.

I came back to it more recently and found that I truly valued many aspects that are easily overlooked in the face of newer, fancier models.

[*] it is light, yet sturdy; slim, yet hand-filling
[*] despite being very compact in pocket, it has a truly excellent full-sized grip
[*] lockbacks are safer to carry loose in pocket, as you might do if you carry too many knives
[*] I can own it in many colors besides black
[*] it's one of the few that come in amazing ZDP-189, besides many other incredible rare steels

And like Wartstein said, you can use the ricasso as a choil in a pinch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

carrot wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:31 pm
I eschewed the Delica for a long time in favor of choiled knives, despite it being my first Spyderco.

I came back to it more recently and found that I truly valued many aspects that are easily overlooked in the face of newer, fancier models.

[*] it is light, yet sturdy; slim, yet hand-filling
[*] despite being very compact in pocket, it has a truly excellent full-sized grip
[*] lockbacks are safer to carry loose in pocket, as you might do if you carry too many knives
[*] I can own it in many colors besides black
[*] it's one of the few that come in amazing ZDP-189, besides many other incredible rare steels

And like Wartstein said, you can use the ricasso as a choil in a pinch.

For me personally not just "in a pinch", but that will sure vary from person to person.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

Weight question... i got all those 7 Sage.
#1 weight 92g annonced at 91g
#2 weight 98g annonced at 99g
#3 weight 106g annonced at 100g
#4 weight 121g annonced at 120g
#5 weight 104 annonced at 105g
#6 weight 89g annonced at 88g
#7 weight 82g annonced at 77g supposed to be the lightweight version....
I use a starfrite™ scale digital with fresh batt.
#7 and #3 are 5g over annonced weight.... how comes?
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Wartstein wrote:
carrot wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks! TBH, I like the look/shape of the Para 3 blade more than the Sage. Also, it's a little lighter. Wish the quality was a bit higher, but it's still not bad.

My main thing is, I don't like a lot of weight in my pocket. From the research I've done, it looks like it doesn't get much better than the Para 3 LW unless I want to get the itty bitty knives like the Dragonfly. About 2.4 oz seems to be the lower limit while still having a decent-sized grip and blade.
Chaparral FRN: 2.1 oz
Delica: 2.3 oz
And that despite both having full liners...

Both imho a lot better than the Para 3, starting with the reasonably thin blade stock, the much better use of the available grip area and so on...
I've given Delicas to friends with smaller hands, and they like them. So, I get the appeal of the Delica. However, I can't get a comfortable grip on the Delica, and I can't use the ricasso as a choke up point. The Chap's choil and more neutral handle shape provide me with a very comfortable grip. I've also experienced clip wobble with the Delica, as I have with every other Spyderco I've owned that uses screws threading onto the liners to secure the hourglass clip. Wire clip movement doesn't bother me for whatever reason. I much prefer the Chap LW to the Delica for the thinner blade stock, better blade steel, better for me ergos, and wire clip; all at just a slight price increase over the Delica.

BUT my Sage 2 and Sage 5 LW are by far my favorite Spydercos.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:31 pm
Wartstein wrote:
I've given Delicas to friends with smaller hands, and they like them. So, I get the appeal of the Delica. However, I can't get a comfortable grip on the Delica, and I can't use the ricasso as a choke up point. The Chap's choil and more neutral handle shape provide me with a very comfortable grip. I've also experienced clip wobble with the Delica, as I have with every other Spyderco I've owned that uses screws threading onto the liners to secure the hourglass clip. Wire clip movement doesn't bother me for whatever reason. I much prefer the Chap LW to the Delica for the thinner blade stock, better blade steel, better for me ergos, and wire clip; all at just a slight price increase over the Delica.

OP: As said, what ugaargiy says shows that the Delica is a design that - even more so than any design anyway- really has to be handled and tried in order to find out if you like the ergos or not: I myself for example have not small, but L to XL hands and absolutely love the feel in hand of the Delica.

Ugaarguy, discussed before and with all due respect:
I just don't see how one literally CAN'T choke up on a Ricasso.. I totally understand, if one does not LIKE it or finds it -other than me - uncomfortable.
But my index finger is of course a lot wider than the Ricasso (so substantially extends over it to where the edge starts), and never, ever in many years of choking up on Endura and Delica ricassos, also in "harder" use and wet, muddy conditions, I had any problem whatsoever. It even feels more stable and controllable than some dedicated choils do...

So, again with all due respect: Why one "can't" just put the forefinger on that section of unsharpened metal (and then like it or not) is beyond me. Really no offense, I am just courious, but to me that sounds like someone saying "I can't put my thumb on a thumb ramp" instead of ",I don't like to put my thumb on a thumb ramp"..
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:31 pm
OP: As said, what ugaargiy says shows that the Delica is a design that - even more so than any design anyway- really has to be handled and tried in order to find out if you like the ergos or not: I myself for example have not small, but L to XL hands and absolutely love the feel in hand of the Delica.

I just don't see how one literally CAN'T choke up on a Ricasso.. I totally understand, if one does not LIKE it or finds it -other than me - uncomfortable.
But my index finger is of course a lot wider than the Ricasso (so substantially extends over it to where the edge starts), and never, ever in many years of choking up on Endura and Delica ricassos, also in "harder" use and wet, muddy conditions, I had any problem whatsoever. It even feels more stable and controllable than some dedicated choils do...

So, again with all due respect: Why one "can't" just put the forefinger on that section of unsharpened metal (and then like it or not) is beyond me. Really no offense, I am just courious, but to me that sounds like someone saying "I can't put my thumb on a thumb ramp" instead of ",I don't like to put my thumb on a thumb ramp"..
Choking up on the ricasso just isn't that comfortable. It's sharp, pointy, and not meant to cradle your finger as comfortably as Spyderco's knives which feature choils. It definitely can be done in a pinch, but in a world with so many beautiful knives choils, the Delica leaves some of us wanting.

I'm one of the folks who'd like Spyderco to put out a Delica 5 which takes its cues from the Byrd Meadowlark. I like the Delica a LOT, and recommend it to friends over Kershaw Leeks and Benchmade Griptillians. But I'd LOVE the Delica with a choil.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:14 am
Wartstein wrote:

Choking up on the ricasso just isn't that comfortable. It's sharp, pointy, and not meant to cradle your finger as comfortably as Spyderco's knives which feature choils. It definitely can be done in a pinch, but in a world with so many beautiful knives choils, the Delica leaves some of us wanting.

I'm one of the folks who'd like Spyderco to put out a Delica 5 which takes its cues from the Byrd Meadowlark. I like the Delica a LOT, and recommend it to friends over Kershaw Leeks and Benchmade Griptillians. But I'd LOVE the Delica with a choil.
Sure, but he said he literally CAN`T choke up on a Ricasso (not he does not LIKE it)

And: I personally find to do so more comfortable and more secure than on some dedicated choils '(not on all though).
And certainly for me the knife is more controllable when choking up on the Ricasso than on a choil (more leverage can be applied when the index finger is not TOO recessed like it is on many choils)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I love the Sage family and have all of the Sage's (2 of the 2) but no lightweight. If it had a different steel I might pick one up. Still waiting for the 3.5.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I've never owned a Sage of any varient but I'm going to have to get a LW to try.

I've been carrying my Para 3 LW almost daily at the office ever since it was released. I saw someone mention if you're a Native fan you'll really like the Sage over the Para. I'm excited to grab one of these and see if it will be able to kick the Para 3 LW from the pocket.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Picked one of these up. It's a wonderful midpoint between the Chap LW and the Para 3 LW. I've been carrying it the last few days and it's difficult to imagine recommending any knife other than this to your average non-afi user.

Classic ergonomics, clean lines and updated FRN (one of my fave aspects of the Chap LW), light and snappy.... this could be pretty much anyone's "one knife" and there'd be zero complaints.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

Got one of these 2 days ago myself, very impressed. Always had my eye on the regular Sage 5 but never liked carbon fiboer much, but I love FRN. My first Taichung model and fit and finish is superb as I had heard it would be. Pivot bushing is a great addition. I'm really impressed with the detent. Tuned nicely and has a really nice solid but non metal on metal feel when it sets in. Best fit to my hand of any model I've tried, even more than my delica.

We'll see after the honeymoon period ends, but this may well be my favorite Spyderco yet. If different steel options come down, this could be the first model I buy multiples of!
olywa

Post by olywa »

I hear you. This is my first Sage and every time I put it back in my carry rotation I get re-impressed.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi AHarbuck,

Welcome to our forum. Hope you enjoy your time here.

sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Wartstein wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:31 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Warstein, I neglected to reply to this earlier, but the thread bump brought it back to my attention. I can't choke up on the Delica ricasso. My definition of can't in this case is: I've tried it and I've come very close to cutting myself just trying the grip. It's more risk than I'm willing to take. So, I can't choke up on the Delica's ricasso because it presents too great a safety hazard for my fat fingers.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

He just says the same things over and over and over again in so many threads. This has to be at least the 30th thread I've read him talk about choking up on the **** ricasso.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

Some things that work for one person don’t work for others. Sharing our experience and knowledge is why we’re all here. I don’t think it’s worth getting excited about it.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Theldraskien wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:02 pm
Some things that work for one person don’t work for others. Sharing our experience and knowledge is why we’re all here. I don’t think it’s worth getting excited about it.
Yeah, so much of this is personal preference and some things just don't work for some people. We see a lot of threads here where people are asking for suggestions regarding different models and usually the recommendations are all over the place. I think it's important for those people to understand that, if a design interests them, they really need to try it to see if it'll work for them rather than basing their decision solely on a bunch of very different opinions

I guess I'm fortunate that I'm not very picky and my hand size seems to work with all the various models. I have a pretty good idea what I like (all of them haha) and I've kept almost every model I've purchased. I used to think forward finger grooves were the best thing ever but then I tried a Delica and realized I kind of like not having the finger groove too. Lately, almost every new model I've bought (Spyderco & other brands) has been without the forward finger groove. I still like the model I own that have it but it's no longer a must have for me.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Theldraskien wrote:
Not worked up, just tiring reading about SE blades, Chaparral, Stretch, Endela, backlocks all over the place every day in so many threads. It's on a loop.

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:24 pm
Theldraskien wrote:
Yeah, so much of this is personal preference and some things just don't work for some people. We see a lot of threads here where people are asking for suggestions regarding different models and usually the recommendations are all over the place. I think it's important for those people to understand that, if a design interests them, they really need to try it to see if it'll work for them rather than basing their decision solely on a bunch of very different opinions

I guess I'm fortunate that I'm not very picky and my hand size seems to work with all the various models. I have a pretty good idea what I like (all of them haha) and I've kept almost every model I've purchased. I used to think forward finger grooves were the best thing ever but then I tried a Delica and realized I kind of like not having the finger groove too. Lately, almost every new model I've bought (Spyderco & other brands) has been without the forward finger groove. I still like the model I own that have it but it's no longer a must have for me.
I hear ya bud. I feel bad for the new members that ask what knife they should buy! Always bombarded with 50 options haha. Of course everyone wants to be helpful and express what they like, but it's got to be very overwhelming.

-Rick