Don't get cut with a ffg blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

Don't get cut with a ffg blade

Post by lonerider1013 »

Don't get cut with a ffg blade... As I foolishly did while sharpening my Delica. The same reason this type of blade is a good cutter well yeh that's why you want to avoid being cut by it.
Anyway they use this stuff like superglue now it's funky.
But be careful sharpening.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
BigGrove

Re: Don't get cut with a ffg blade

Post by BigGrove »

Are you referring to cyanoacrylate? Tissue adhesives like Dermabond have been available for 20+ years.

Agree preventing the accident in the first place is the best policy. Would you care to share how your accident occurred as a lesson for others?
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

Don't be me and cut yourself with a butter knife.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

It was foolish, I was touching up a blade using the bare ceramic on the bottom of a mug rather than a proper sharpening tool. The hand holding the mug was too close to the top, and the knife slipped right into it.

It's silly actually using knives I don't think I've ever got cut before, except maybe as a kid. Tools, saws, chisels, yeh, but not knives. First time for everything I guess.

But if anyone was wondering, full flat grind blades cut very well even on the receiving end.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Dumbest knife thing I ever did was at work, my pm2 slipped out of my hand while closing it and instinctively I grabbed for it before it had a chance to hit the concrete floor. It stabbed my palm on my left hand. Took a while to get that one to stop bleeding, luckily I didn't hit any tendons or anything major.

I don't bother trying to catch falling knives anymore, lol. Or maybe more importantly, I'm more aware of not dropping them in the first place :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Pics or it didn't happen. :)

Just be happy it wasn't serrated. At least a cut from a sharp plain edge heals nicely.

My father said they were issued super glue in Vietnam. I carry some in my first aid kits.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
krsmitty

Post by krsmitty »

Super glue works like a champ...Friend of mine was helping me put up some plywood over the windows for the last hurricane here in Tampa, FL. The plywood has these serrated spring clamps to hold them in place. While putting up the plywood he sliced his knee open on one of the clamps...bleeding like a stuffed pig. It looked like stitches to me. He asked if I had any super glue and slowly glued the cut closed. Worked like a champ!!! Never broke back open...it healed real good after about a week.
Last edited by krsmitty on Fri May 03, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

About 6 years ago I was teaching a class, and I had an X-acto knife come uncapped in my pocket. At first I thought it was just something pinching my leg, but after I looked down and saw blood spreading through my pants I realized what had happened.

I stopped the class, went to the bathroom, took my pants down and realized I had a fairly large (maybe 2 or 2 1/2 inches) gash.

One of the students in the class was a recon marine sergeant, and he popped in with "no problem, we can just fill it with superglue and hold it shut, and you'll be fine."

No freakin' way was I going to do that. I called my wife (who is an M.D.). She came over to my office, looked at the gash in my leg, and the first thing she said was "do you have any superglue?"

In the end, the marine held the gash closed after my wife poured superglue into it.

I now stock unopened tubes of superglue in all my emergency kits.
krsmitty

Post by krsmitty »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:13 pm
About 6 years ago I was teaching a class, and I had an X-acto knife come uncapped in my pocket. At first I thought it was just something pinching my leg, but after I looked down and saw blood spreading through my pants I realized what had happened.

I stopped the class, went to the bathroom, took my pants down and realized I had a fairly large (maybe 2 or 2 1/2 inches) gash.

One of the students in the class was a recon marine sergeant, and he popped in with "no problem, we can just fill it with superglue and hold it shut, and you'll be fine."

No freakin' way was I going to do that. I called my wife (who is an M.D.). She came over to my office, looked at the gash in my leg, and the first thing she said was "do you have any superglue?"

In the end, the marine held the gash closed after my wife poured superglue into it.

X2 you beat me to it...lol
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Superglue... Cheaper than the medical stuff, and works better too! I've used it loads of times. I don't usually cut myself though, usually... Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

TomAiello wrote:

I've heard of using superglue for stopping bleeding, and it's use in Vietnam, but you put the superglue INTO the cut? And not just over/on top of it? That's what always confused me about it's use, one doesn't need to avoid getting the glue in the cut? I'm probably just dense lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Are you all 100 percent sure the super glue option will have no adverse effects such as infection to the wound?

Here is some data I found:

https://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/superglue

https://morethanjustsurviving.com/super-glue-for-cuts/

https://www.healthline.com/health/super-glue-on-cuts

https://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/home ... st-aid-kit

Full Flat Grinds have earned my respect and acceptance for sharpness, toughness, and strength, there with the Saber Grind.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I wonder that too. Into or onto? Sounds toxic.
- best wishes, Jazz.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It definitely worked for me. I still have the scar to prove it. And my wife is an actual Medical Doctor, with a board certification, and she was the one who did it. Either she doesn't really like me as much as I'd hope, or it really is a good thing.

It's definitely not toxic.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:28 pm
I've heard of using superglue for stopping bleeding, and it's use in Vietnam, but you put the superglue INTO the cut?
She pretty much put it in and then had him squeeze it shut with the superglue inside. That glued the two sides of the wound together.

Apparently your body can break it down, so it bonds the skin together and then gets processed by your natural systems.

I realize it sounds crazy. It certainly sounded crazy to me, and I definitely wasn't willing to let my student do it to me based on his "hoo-rah" medical training. Which made me sound pretty silly when my legit med school graduate wife told me that was exactly what she was going to do.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
I've heard of using superglue
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Don't superglue animal bites, that definitely increases infection rates, even if you irrigate it well.

It works well on clean, incised wounds (like knife wounds!). Irrigate thoroughly, then hold the wound edges together and paint the superglue over the top of the wound. You may have to do more than one coat. The stuff is brittle after it dries, so if over a joint or body part that has a lot of motion, it may crack off. Avoid closing wounds with super glue that are more than 6 hours old or heavily contaminated with debris.

A reasonable alternative in many cases is Butterfly bandages, which have been around forever, or Steristrips. Personally, at home I tend to use the adhesive part of Bandaid Sport Strips. It is like an adhesive foam rubber and sticks like crazy, but is also flexible!
krsmitty

Post by krsmitty »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
TomAiello wrote:

I've heard of using superglue for stopping bleeding, and it's use in Vietnam, but you put the superglue INTO the cut? And not just over/on top of it? That's what always confused me about it's use, one doesn't need to avoid getting the glue in the cut? I'm probably just dense lol
In this instance, he closed the wound then applied the super glue. He would do about a 1/4" at a time. Close it, glue it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I"ve sustained some pretty mean cuts even with hollow grind blades too. But I will admit that about the worst and deepest cut I ever gave myself was close to 10 years ago and I posted it here on this forum. I did it with my ZDP-189 Caly Jr. Luckily I was working for a retired medical doctor at the time and he was right there and able to bandage it up really good. He said he had never seen such a clean cut since he had worked in surgical clinics.

When that cut healed it actually healed pretty fast and that doctor told me because of that blade being straight razor sharp thus making a really clean, precise incision it was similar to a surgeon opening you up. There is a scar there now but you really have to look for it.

Oh yes the ZDP-189 Caly Jr was a full flat grind like most of the other Caly Jr models were.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:25 am
I"ve sustained some pretty mean cuts even with hollow grind blades too. But I will admit that about the worst and deepest cut I ever gave myself was close to 10 years ago and I posted it here on this forum. I did it with my ZDP-189 Caly Jr. Luckily I was working for a retired medical doctor at the time and he was right there and able to bandage it up really good. He said he had never seen such a clean cut since he had worked in surgical clinics.

When that cut healed it actually healed pretty fast and that doctor told me because of that blade being straight razor sharp thus making a really clean, precise incision it was similar to a surgeon opening you up. There is a scar there now but you really have to look for it.

Oh yes the ZDP-189 Caly Jr was a full flat grind like most of the other Caly Jr models were.
Wow JD I am so glad you were able to get that wound closed and healed! Does this mean the Caly 3.5 Light Weight will most assuredly have similiar cutting power?