Dragonfly Wharncliffe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Strider

Dragonfly Wharncliffe

Post by Strider »

This combination never crossed my mind before...but I love it! Although my delica wharncliffe is not my favorite knife, it is probably my most used because it just gets stuff done. Will love having the little guy with me.
Evil D

Re: Dragonfly Wharncliffe

Post by Evil D »

I'm probably getting both new Dragonflies. I've been begging for a wharnie for years and I can't help but giggle at the waved version. They should just do the waved one in all black to add to the micro mall ninja effect. Seriously though there was a time when I used a Dragonfly a lot at a job and I often zip tied the blade so I can see a realistic use for a small waved utility knife. I would actually prefer both these knives be combined into one and have a waved wharnie. May as well make it a serrated Salt while we're at it and I'll be set.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Strider

Post by Strider »

certainly would not be opposed to a serrated version.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Yup. Will be getting one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Wharnie made me finally really want a DFly, looks very cool. But I'll wait if they'll make an orange one some day...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:00 am
The Wharnie made me finally really want a DFly, looks very cool. But I'll wait if they'll make an orange one some day...
Yep. I love the orange too! I have an orange dragonfly now.

In the latest Reveal, this is the knife I’m most interested in.

I wonder if I could swap the scales.....
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm definitely getting one too.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'll be looking forward to the PE and SE Salt versions! Blacked out hopefully!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I can’t wait.
- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Jazz wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:47 pm
I can’t wait.
Me either.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:47 pm
I can’t wait.
We know ;) :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i may have wanted one of these if i didn’t already have a se df2 salt and also carry a cold steel tuff lite with it at work. i’m already covered here, but it does look sweet.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:07 am
i may have wanted one of these if i didn’t already have a se df2 salt and also carry a cold steel tuff lite with it at work. i’m already covered here, but it does look sweet.
I know what you mean. For me the Wharnie DFly is a knife I solely want for it's cool looks and design, not cause I'd have any need for it. From a practical standpoint I like Endura size in my main EDC knives, and my small-knife-spot is perfectly covered by Chap and Delica.

But that DFly in Wharnie blade shape has something about it that makes me want to use one immidiately and just find things to cut just for the fun of it... ;)

As said, if they'll come out with an orange one, I doubt I could resist...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

wharncliffe-wise, I 'grew up' on that blade format with the Spyderco Kiwi. So this dragonfly is an easy decision for me. I find I use the larger Des Horn and even a Delica Wharnie a lot less than a smaller version like the Kiwi.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It will be a great backup knife for cutting anything and everything, opening things, cutting flaps... like a Delica wharnie, but in convenient coin pocket or clip to your shirt size.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I haven't owned a Dragonfly in several years. I think this is the one that will get me back into the model.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:37 am
'... They should just do the waved one in all black to add to the micro mall ninja effect.....
Im definitely getting that one modded by someone. Acid wash and who knows what else :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Gater

Post by Gater »

Are there plans for a SE Dfly wharncliffe?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Gater wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:03 pm
Are there plans for a SE Dfly wharncliffe?
That´s a good question, but if this one sells well (and my guess is it WILL) I would bet there will be a SE...

Actually I´d really like one in SE (and with orange handles). Why?: The DF Wharnie could become the first knife I´d regularely carry as a second knife. Not really for practical reasons, but just cause it´s so small and light and cool.

Since I almost always carry a quite large PE blade (Endura or Stretch mostly), it would be a logical choice to go for a SE blade, IF I´d really decide to carry two knives...
babtron

Post by babtron »

Ya know, when I saw the reveal of the Para 3 LW, I thought that would be the end all for me. I couldn’t think of anything else that I’d need, ever.

Until I saw this beautiful bastard. It just screams that little workhorse that’ll get any job done and literally the only EDC you need. I can’t wait!