Bent tip on my Para 3 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
babtron

Bent tip on my Para 3 LW

Post by babtron »

Hey guys,

Long story short, I accidentally dropped my Para 3 LW on laminate wood flooring. I wasn't paying attention, and it got caught on the flap of my cargo pocket on my uniform and fell to the ground. The impact flung it up and actually opened the blade, then back down on the tip I'm guessing since upon inspection, I found the tip bent. To my surprise, it didn't break like I have experienced with S30V. I guess it shows the toughness of B1DN right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've never dealt with a bent tip before, only broken ones. It still stabs decently into paper and what not so I'm not too worried about it. I was wondering if there was anything special I'd have to do. I'm guessing this will sort of even out after several sharpenings, correct?

In a semi unrelated topic, the Para 3 LW is absolutely amazing. My specific example was drop shut basically out of the box. Absolutely love this thing! I can't see myself EDCing another knife, ever. ****, I can't see myself using another knife other than this guy, ever. Perfection.
Tims

Re: Bent tip on my Para 3 LW

Post by Tims »

Time to reprofile that bad boy, drop that bevel some and you’ll never even know.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It appears a very minor bend. I suspect a sharpening on the Sharpmaker will make it quickly disappear.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I would try a strop first. No need to remove steel prematurely.
daninghram

Post by daninghram »

I very carefully would try drawing it back a little, push it back on a piece of brass maybe. then sharpen the rest out.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've had the exact same thing happen with the tip of my Dragonfly Salt SE, which I dropped on a hard linoleum floor tip-first from about 3.5 feet. The very tip was bent similar to your knife's, only a little more severely. I used a pull-back/pull-away motion on the SM's white rod, *very gently/lightly*. Strangely enough, the tip straightened right up, with no sign that it had ever been there, and with no weakness. I don't know if BD1N will react the same as the H1, but on my knife, I had almost expected a tiny piece of the tip to "break off" while trying to straighten it, but it didn't.

Jim
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Albatross wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:20 am

Wouldn't a bent tip just gouge the leather?
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:37 am
Albatross wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:20 am

Wouldn't a bent tip just gouge the leather?
Not in my experience. I've stropped that kind of damage out before, with no issues.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

That is not going to strop out, Don't even waste the time or gouge your leather.

That's a no big deal fix on a good stone with a steady hand.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:55 am
I know that steels like K390 and Maxamet respond best to certain stones. What would a good stone for BD1N be? Something as simple as a King stone?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:07 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:55 am
I know that steels like K390 and Maxamet respond best to certain stones. What would a good stone for BD1N be? Something as simple as a King stone?
Yes, Nothing crazy. I have been using a Naniwa professional 1k (chosea) on mine.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
babtron

Post by babtron »

Thanks for the replies guys! I’m not really worried about it right now since I still have pretty sharp tip. Sounds like I can just sharpen it out on my stones when the time comes so I’ll probably just go ahead and do that. Maybe I’ll try and do the method with the SM rod if just sharpening doesn’t take care of it.
jacala

Post by jacala »

Not to sound flippant , but can't you just give it a quick touch up with a stone ?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

When things like that happen, I try to draw it back by stropping as previous suggested on a bit of flat brass, polished granite, hardwood ... as best I can. In most cases that little bit ends us snapping off anyhow but you can get lucky.

I wouldn’t try to sharpen/reprofile till I had either straighten that little bit, snapped it off trying to straighten it or ground it away first. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Had the same thing happen on my LC200N Native5. Didn't even try to push it back. Even though the steel is soft, it went through a plastic deformation. The only normal way to get it back would be if you heat it up first, but considering the knives are heat treated, don't know what it would do to the blade.

After putting it on the stone, the tip broke off, and after 10 mins it was as good as new
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

It happens once in a while, that looks like it would sharpen out easily.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

A knife that gets used is going to get little dings. Use it much, and it will eventually get some dings that can be seen without the aid of magnification. Enjoy using the knife every day, and when it gets blemishes, as it surely will, then enjoy the craftsmanship and artistry of restoring the edge to perfection.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I bought a Native 5 carbon fiber factory second with the very tippy tip broken off. A few minutes on my Wicked Edge and you’d never know.

That can be fixed. If nothing else you can send it back to Spyderco for sharpening.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

aquaman67 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:40 pm
I bought a Native 5 carbon fiber factory second with the very tippy tip broken off. A few minutes on my Wicked Edge and you’d never know.

That can be fixed. If nothing else you can send it back to Spyderco for sharpening.
Yeah they'll take so much steel off you'll never know it was bent haha
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
babtron

Post by babtron »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:29 am
It happens once in a while, that looks like it would sharpen out easily.
I plan on using it a lot tomorrow while cleaning out my garage. I'll give it a touch up on my 302M + diamond strop and and see how it looks after. I'm pretty sure from looking at it, if not this sharpening, a couple more it'll be sharpened out. I don't want to remove too much metal while it's still rather functional.