Z-Cut Spyderco Food Prep Knife in BD1N!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thefly01

Re: Z-Cut Spyderco Food Prep Knife in BD1N!

Post by thefly01 »

Hey Sal,
Can we get another run of the Homemaker please?
David R

Post by David R »

sal wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:58 am
FYI,

We were the first company to introduce a Santoku to the Western world back in the 80's. Now everyone makes one.

Had no idea. This is very cool history.
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Can anyone enlighten me on the particular uses or advantages of the bullnose plain edge version of these knives? The serrated one strikes me as a very effective bread knife (among other uses), but as for the other... Skinning and boning maybe?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mzen,

Some people are afraid of points on knives.

sal
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

sal wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:59 pm
Hi Mzen,

sal
Wow... I certainly didn't see that one coming haha
But after giving it some thought, taking into account that I'm living in Germany at the moment and being aware of the stabbing epidemic that is going on in the UK, maybe a cheap, quality kitchen knife with a "non-murderous" blade shape would be a pretty big hit over there... You might be sitting on a goldmine :D

Speaking of which, and since it's related to the topic, would BD1N steel make the previously used MBS-26 obsolete? I've never used the older steel, but I know some folks were not too keen on it for whatever reason. It's mostly out of curiosity sake, it's always interesting to learn something new about different blade steels.

Your reply was much appreciated Sal, another reason why this forum is always such a pleasure to frequent. Keep up the good work.
Last edited by Mzen on Sat May 04, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I assumed at first that these would come in multiple sizes. Will there be larger ones offered in the future?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

sal wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:59 pm
... and others are afraid of sharp edges too, what a strange world. :p
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mzen,

MBS-26 is a proprietary steel made by Daido that punches far above its weight. BD1N is fairly new and we're doing a lot with it at this time. We'll make that determination comparing it to MBS-26 in the future after some real-world-testing.

Hey Peter, They tried to make serrations illegal in the UK because they "looked ghastly". :rolleyes:

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

jpm2 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:59 pm
I'll be trying out both edges.

Weird to me that some complain about blade length. I've cut up everything under the sun with a 3" blade, not that a longer blade would be more convenient at times.... but this one is 4+. The biggest knife I use with food is 6", but only because that's the shortest chef style knife we have. I've thought about grinding it down to 5".

I think most chefs are opposite and will use an 8" Chefs knife for even delicate tasks. I have two of the same 8" Chef's knives because that is what I use 99% of the time in the kitchen.

This looks similar to a Victorinox bread knife I have, except the Vic has an 8" blade. I was surprised how small the blade was on the Z-cut to be honest. I use my 13" F Dick probably more than my paring knife! :D

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I'm definitely looking forward to this series and won't complain if a longer bread knife were in the works
SalomonA

Post by SalomonA »

sal wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:58 am
FYI,

We were the first company to introduce a Santoku to the Western world back in the 80's. Now everyone makes one.

I deigned the first offset in the 80's as well. It was an 10" knife designed to compete with the Ginsu. We never got around t making it, just too busy. Now everyone makes one so the market is relatively served. We made the Z-cut to be an easily grabbed cutting tool for general purpose. Not necessarily culinary "arts".

sal
Do we have an estimated time for these being released? I've been itching to grab one for my kitchen.
sal

Post by sal »

We're waiting on packaging. Production knife manufacture has all of these problems that most don't see.

sal
fixall

Post by fixall »

Marulaghost wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:14 pm
I'm definitely looking forward to this series and won't complain if a longer bread knife were in the works
Yep. I hope these are a hit because I really, REALLY want an 8" - 10" Z-Cut bread knife. Yes please!!
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Really, really hoping for a 12" version over here, I know too many people who like giant sourdough loaves.
There aren't enough long bread knives in this silly world of 9" wooden blocks.
fixall

Post by fixall »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:46 am
Really, really hoping for a 12" version over here, I know too many people who like giant sourdough loaves.
Fillet knives and bread knives... For whatever reason, I found people rarely agree on the best length for those two knives in particular. I wonder if that has something to do with them not seeming to sell as well as Chef and Paring knives.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Honestly right now i just want the ones they're offering. Where are they?
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

fixall wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:29 am
JacksonKnives wrote:
Fillet knives and bread knives... For whatever reason, I found people rarely agree on the best length for those two knives in particular. I wonder if that has something to do with them not seeming to sell as well as Chef and Paring knives.
Chef's knives, some say, only became 8" as a standard because it was too expensive to ship them and make blocks with the old 11" blades.

Most people have smaller cutting boards these days as well, so 8" gets you pretty much all the board contact possible unless you buy a giant butcher block. I like a longer Chef's knife, but I get more benefit from a long slicer (since cutting board contact isn't the main purpose.)
fixall

Post by fixall »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:39 am
fixall wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:29 am
JacksonKnives wrote:
Chef's knives, some say, only became 8" as a standard because it was too expensive to ship them and make blocks with the old 11" blades.

Most people have smaller cutting boards these days as well, so 8" gets you pretty much all the board contact possible unless you buy a giant butcher block. I like a longer Chef's knife, but I get more benefit from a long slicer (since cutting board contact isn't the main purpose.)
I’m with you there! I use a 7” Santoku a bit, but my “go to” is a 10” Chef (that I hope to replace with the new Spyderco Gyuto). After ten years of working in restaurants, you become a little accustom to the longer blades. :)
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Zcut is in stock now at National Knives

https://www.nationalknives.com/search.p ... uery=z-cut
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I would be very interested in the Z-Cut knives offered in another length or two. My thinking would be another almost identical in shape, just 2-4” longer. Inexpensive, American made kitchen knives are a fantastic prospect, and I’m already planning on giving away a bunch of the current ones as gifts.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.