My experience with the Caly3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

My experience with the Caly3

Post by Doc Dan »

Now that we know a new Caly is coming out, at some point, I was reminded why I love this design so much. Years ago I was carrying a Leek, a fine enough knife that many people feel is the best slim pocket knife for the money. I liked the overall design, it is slim and inconspicuous when dropped into a pocket. My problem is that it is an assisted opening knife that relies on a weak detent and a safety lever to keep it closed. No matter how tight I would torque down that screw on the safety, it would still come off and the knife would open in my pocket. I always was fearful when reaching into my pocket for something that I would (and did) find a nasty surprize. So I started to hunt for a replacement.

My priorities were that the knife had to be a back lock with a bias to close, good steel, and the same dimensions as the Leek. I did not realize this, but when I discovered the Caly3 by happenstance, it was exactly, down the line, what I was looking for. The same dimensions all around as the Leek. The same slimness, good steel, back lock with bias to close, everything was there. Plus, there was no detent or safety to worry about. So, I ordered one.

My carbon fiber Caly3 laminated ZDP-189 arrived and I was literally blown away (not my first Spyderco, however). The fit and finish were simply amazingly well done. The action was so smooth that it felt more like a compression lock. The feel in the hand was like an extension of my own hand. The knife looked great, as good as some more expensive knives I have owned. It is a real treasure, to this day. This knife is a real testament to Spyderco quality and the knife making ability of the Japanese in that plant.

I did not buy another because I was hearing reports of QC issues coming out of the factory for a while, but I am hoping that the new release will be just as fine of a knife as my current Caly is. I am looking forward to this knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tims

Re: My experience with the Caly3

Post by Tims »

The Caly 3.5 Lightweight is my most anticipated knife this year. Fingers crossed it’s all I’ve been hoping for.

Regarding your Leek, did you ever use the blade lock to prevent it opening in pocket?
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

The Caly 3 is one I keep coming back to. F and F is excellent. Ergonomics are excellent. My only knock on it is the feel of some vertical blade play when I'm doing heavy cutting which I think is common on lockbacks.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like the Caly 3, but the full sized Calypso works even better for me. Great series of designs.
:unicorn
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Skidoosh wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:37 pm
The Caly 3 is one I keep coming back to. F and F is excellent. Ergonomics are excellent. My only knock on it is the feel of some vertical blade play when I'm doing heavy cutting which I think is common on lockbacks.
Mine has no such issues. I hope they go back to this quality level.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:52 pm
I like the Caly 3, but the full sized Calypso works even better for me. Great series of designs.
Yes, the original Calyso, the large one, is a great knife. I do not have one. The Caly3 is better for dropping down in the pocket of my suit pants or whatever, as a pocket knife because of the size.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Tims wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:21 pm
The Caly 3.5 Lightweight is my most anticipated knife this year. Fingers crossed it’s all I’ve been hoping for.

Regarding your Leek, did you ever use the blade lock to prevent it opening in pocket?
Yes, I said that. I tried to even tighten the screw all the way down so it could barely move the lock and still it would come off from time to time. If someone were to copy that design and make it a back lock instead of an assist liner lock, it would be really an awesome knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’ve loved the Caly series basically since I started buying Spyderco knives all those years ago. But yes, I’ve stopped buying Japan made Spyderco knives as the price has risen and the samples I’ve gotten my hands on have come down in quality. It just wasn’t a good use of my knife money when I could buy something made in Golden or Taichung. I too am looking forward to the Caly 3.5 LW but I’m hoping it’s made in Golden or that the QC in Japan has gotten better.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Tims

Post by Tims »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:13 pm
Tims wrote:

Yes, I said that. I tried to even tighten the screw all the way down so it could barely move the lock and still it would come off from time to time. If someone were to copy that design and make it a back lock instead of an assist liner lock, it would be really an awesome knife.
Apologies mate, for some reason I read your post as tightening the pivot
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Tims wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:32 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:13 pm
Tims wrote:

Apologies mate, for some reason I read your post as tightening the pivot
No worries at all. I hope I did not sound terse.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
attila

Post by attila »

My Calys cause mixed emotions for me. So, just the other day I did a comparison between my Native 5 and Caly 3s (HAP40 and SB). I really like the design and aesthetics of the Calys, but they are the most imperfect Spydercos I own. The Native 5, on the other hand, is nearly perfect in construction and mechanism, but lacks an intangible quality that the Calys have.

Fit and finish are okay. From a distance, they look great, but upon close inspection of the internal milling, jimping, G10 edges, etc., I see strange inconsistencies that indicate that these are at least partially hand made. I'm okay with these things that give the Calys personality. The Native has none of these imperfections, and therefore, little personality.

The major issues with my Calys, however, are that the blades are far from being centered (the SB is warped too) and both Calys have vertical blade play (lock rock?). I know centering is not important to many here, but for me, it's like if my car kept pulling strongly to the right and no alignment could fix it. It's a terribly annoying feature that could make an otherwise great car not fun to drive. The vertical blade play is another of the same sort of disappointment. Every cut through anything more substantial than a few sheets of paper results in this symptom.

Despite these imperfections, I still really like the Caly design. I just wish they had the lock and build quality of the Native.

The above observations and thoughts make the possibility of the Caly 3.5 LW being a Golden model very exciting!!!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

For those of you who long for a Caly with Golden Co quality and tolerances, try the new Heinnie G10 UKPK... It hits the spot!

Locks are overrated! :p
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:31 am
For those of you who long for a Caly with Golden Co quality and tolerances, try the new Heinnie G10 UKPK... It hits the spot!

I have been on the fence about this knife. I like it, but there are other things coming that I want more. I have taken a strong look at the new BD1N as I have heard the newer knives have decent back spring tension.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:31 am

Hear, hear!

I had the Hap40 Caly sprint for a while, but there was just something about it that never fully clicked with me, so on to another home it went. I got a lot of love and use out of my S110V UKPK as well, but ultimately it felt just a bit too lightweight. Enter the HH UKPK and man am I in love. Not really sure there's anything a LW Caly could give me that I don't already have (well, maybe some cool Sprint colors and steels....), and agreed for this form factor the strong backspring and good knife-sense is all I need, no lock required :cool:
~andrew
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I really liked my Caly 3 sprint except I felt it was pretty heavy for the size and I decided that I don't like laminated blades. A Caly 3 LW in K390 sounds like just the ticket!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have 2 Caly 3 HAP40 sprints and a Caly 3.5 ZDP CF. Fit and finish are fine on all 3. Lock up is solid too. I like the ergos and blade shape of the Calys but they don't get carried much for some reason. I guess there's just too much competition in my collection. Even my UKPKs get carried more.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

One hears so many good things about the Caly series on this forum. I really wish I could get my hands on a SuperBlue sprint but I reckon that's not likely lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I have a brand new in box original G-10 Caly 3 in my safe. I also have a user and I love that knife. I prefer the 3 over the 3.5 so I may just wait to see if a Lightweight Caly 3 comes out.