Paysan

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lunde

Paysan

Post by lunde »

The Paysan is finally showing up on Spyderco's website.
lunde

Re: Paysan

Post by lunde »

I managed to snag one before they were out of stock.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Pics or it never happened.

Maybe next to a Scott Cook Lochsa ?
lunde

Post by lunde »

Photo likely on Wednesday. It shipped yesterday, and is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. And yes, I can show it next to one of my Lochsas.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

When you get it can you tell us how's the detent on yours

Detent problems @5:22 and stamped clip on a 500$ knife

https://youtu.be/Q--xiHZRCfU
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Thx for posting that. Saved me being extremely disappointed. That detent is a showstopper for me. Don’t care for super hard detents but he was barely trying and it was dropping out of the frame. And that is day one - it is only going to get looser over time. Had this pre-ordered for over a year and I am canceling and putting my money on something else. Maybe in a year I will look again and see if this was addressed. My hope is we hear this one is a one-off, but frankly for this price, and from a premier company such as this, a knife with that issue should never leave the assemblers workstation. And if that is by design, I hope there are enough folks out there who like their knives opening with barely any effort to make this knife sell well.

I am not gambling this much money on maybe it will or maybe it won’t.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

My guess is Spyderco will sell these mostly to fans of the brand or Rassenti. I doubt they'll win over a lot of ti integral fans who are brand agnostic.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

If I could afford one, I would buy it, try it out and if there were an issue (one YT “review” is the smallest sampling population possible and certainly subjective) I would send it to Spyderco and have them tune it. I would not jump all over the knife, design and company like it was a catastrophe.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
lunde

Post by lunde »

Well, good thing that I actually ordered two of them. I will be able to compare two specimens from the same batch.
lunde

Post by lunde »

For me, the pocket clip is a non-issue as that is the first thing that I remove. This is because I will have a Lifter's Leather belt sheath made for it, and have no need of a pocket clip. That's how I am carrying my Nirvana.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Didn't know detent really matters for a blade that will see little to no use?
Maybe should have a larger ball?
Wonder if removing the blade and bending lock bar a bit will make it stronger?
Don't think it would be wise to mess around with 500 knife though. Should have been corrected before manufacturing multiple blades though. Hope it's only an issue on a few samples. For a 4" blade heavy knife detent problems do sometimes arise.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Is the detent too light?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Mm1313

Post by Mm1313 »

I haven't had any issues with detent at all and I've been fidgeting the **** outta mine since I got it Friday... if I flick my wrist, like most knives it'll come loose but at least on mine I have not had this issue at all. Certainly isn't a stiff detent but IMO its middle of the line with how stiff it is. I'm in love with mine and personally think they did a **** of a job and I'm far from one of the Spydie or rassenti fanboys....

I cant say enough about the ultra smooth action and also it's only 4.8oz vs my rex45 PM2 that's 4.3oz. Even with it being an integral and having a thick blade, it's not heavy or cumbersome.....

Also my grinds are absolutely perfect and out of the 50ish Spydies I've had, this is out of the box by far the sharpest one ive ever received.

Any questions u guys have gimme a shout and I'd be happy to answer them.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Slash

Post by Slash »

Many people reporting lock issues. So, question is with the 2 that I just received making a clicking noise would most likely develop rock and or slip which are unacceptable. Should I try using it to find out? After which I wouldn't be able to return to supplier for refund as it's now used or hope that spyderco can do something about it? Problem with sending in to spyderco is doesn't the consumer have to eat the shipping cost?
As much as I like the knife, there is no reason to keep anything with lock issues. If it was a car I'm sure they would have to recall all of them.
Slash

Post by Slash »

I'll give the pencil lead trick a shot and post results.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Slash wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:57 pm
Many people reporting lock issues. So, question is with the 2 that I just received making a clicking noise would most likely develop rock and or slip which are unacceptable. Should I try using it to find out? After which I wouldn't be able to return to supplier for refund as it's now used or hope that spyderco can do something about it? Problem with sending in to spyderco is doesn't the consumer have to eat the shipping cost?
As much as I like the knife, there is no reason to keep anything with lock issues. If it was a car I'm sure they would have to recall all of them.
Just return them to the dealer. Yes you will probably have to pay for the shipping but such is life. You'll save yourself a headache. Let Spyderco iron out the problems or discontinue the model.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Got my Paysan yesterday and have been fondling it at my desk throughout the workday. What an impressive knife. Fit and finish is excellent, zero issues with lock stick. While the detent is on the weaker side it is more then adequate to do the job on my example. Now to get a couple weeks of pocket time in to complete the bonding process.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

I ordered mine a while ago and got it yesterday. It's my most expensive knife to date and I've been really looking forward to it. According to the vendor they got it directly from Spyderco and immediately shipped it, I have no reason to doubt them.

Unfortunately:
-The handle had hair in it
-The edge has tiny chips
-The blade is slightly uncentered
-It has the lock slip several others have complained about

Did Spyderco seriously **** up their second attempt at an integral after hyping it up for a year? I'll reach out to them and give them a chance to make it right, they can pay for shipping. This knife is literally disgusting... It's also kind of funny in an ironic way.

At the end of the day it's just another knife from a company that probably quit caring. Life could be worse.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:59 pm
I ordered mine a while ago and got it yesterday. It's my most expensive knife to date and I've been really looking forward to it. According to the vendor they got it directly from Spyderco and immediately shipped it, I have no reason to doubt them.

Unfortunately:
-The handle had hair in it
-The edge has tiny chips
-The blade is slightly uncentered
-It has the lock slip several others have complained about

Did Spyderco seriously **** up their second attempt at an integral after hyping it up for a year? I'll reach out to them and give them a chance to make it right, they can pay for shipping. This knife is literally disgusting... It's also kind of funny in an ironic way.

At the end of the day it's just another knife from a company that probably quit caring. Life could be worse.
Hi, Perhaps_OCD?
Welcome to our forum. I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment. We most definitely haven't quit caring. Please reach out to our Warranty & Repair department (mention this thread and my reply). We need to see your knife, but we'll make it right. You'll be in good hands with our crew. If you can private message me with your name, e-mail address and shipping address, I can give them a heads-up.

We hope you hang around. Our forum is filled with volumes of great information and our community is pretty special.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.