Rynite Handles for Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Rynite Handles for Spyderco?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I would welcome any feedback from sal or anyone else who knows about this material: Rynite. I read that in the early 1980s and onwards Dupont Rynite was used on some knife handles. It is a thermoplastic polymer and was used around the same time or right before Dupont Zytel came into use.

Is this equal to FRN and other forms of fiberglass reinforced nylon or different in some respects as far as properties for knife slabs and handles go?

Here is some information on it:

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-serv ... ation.html

http://www.polyonedistribution.com/file ... Guide_.pdf

https://www.materialdatacenter.com/ms/e ... bcd065/818

I have heard that it is very comfortable to the touch and very durable.

When FRN and related materials were first introduced there was alot of bias against them in favor of more traditional biological materials like horn, wood, stag, and similiar materials but they have proven their value and durability.
zhyla

Re: Rynite Handles for Spyderco?

Post by zhyla »

Isn’t Rynite just PET with a brand name? Where did you hear someone talking about touching Rynite?
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The Gerber Bolt Action knife use Rynite for the handle. I traded it for another knife...wish I had the GBA now...
It was textured and felt warm to the touch. I dropped it one day, and the corner of the spine was dinged a little.
I sanded it with 220 grit abrasive in no time at all.

The LST was originally in Rynite and changed to Zytel/ FRN

Browning had the 440C Model 810 with Rynite scales and wood inserts, looked like a Buck 110.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:30 am
The Gerber Bolt Action knife use Rynite for the handle. I traded it for another knife...wish I had the GBA now...
It was textured and felt warm to the touch. I dropped it one day, and the corner of the spine was dinged a little.
I sanded it with 220 grit abrasive in no time at all.

The LST was originally in Rynite and changed to Zytel/ FRN

Browning had the 440C Model 810 with Rynite scales and wood inserts, looked like a Buck 110.
I was just going to mention some of these and you beat me to it! Haha! :D

Several companies have made knife handles from this over the years, and some may still be doing so. How this stuff stacks up to FRN and FRCP, I do not know. Does one handle heat better than others? I know some of these synthetics (like on some older Buck traditional folders) if you get it too close to a fire it will melt very easily. Does one scratch worse? Wear worse? I do not know.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050