The Truth About The Ikuchi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

The Truth About The Ikuchi

Post by MichaelScott »

This is really beginning to bug me. It’s creepy and I wonder if I may have somehow slipped over the edge.

This knife will not stay out of my pocket.

I’m reaching for my keys, maybe my phone or spare change and there it is. Didn’t feel it there. Must be some kind of weird engineering stealth thing.

Gotta slice that tomato, open that package, pry out a splinter and there it suddenly is, open and ready for work.

This is beginning to seem like a dark and twisted conspiracy thing but I’m trying to just learn to live with it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
GiftedMisfit

Re: The Truth About The Ikuchi

Post by GiftedMisfit »

I feel like it's more then an Ikuchi thing.. it's a Spyderco thing.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
brj

Post by brj »

Nah, it's more of an Ikuchi thing (much more than the usual Spyderco one).
The amount of magic/voodoo Paul imbued in this one must really be staggering...
Same thing happened here, the darn thing is somehow glued to my pockets no matter where I am/what I wear.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

One man's Ikuchi is another man's smock.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:27 am
Not really. The Smock looks like it was designed by Starship Troopers while the Ikuchi sprang from the mind of Kurosawa.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Superb knife!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:25 am
GiftedMisfit wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:27 am
Not really. The Smock looks like it was designed by Starship Troopers while the Ikuchi sprang from the mind of Kurosawa.
OK. That was off the wall. I actually liked Starship Troopers, the book and movie. I don’t think it is particularly relevant to equate the two knives, coming as they are from such different design philosophies.

Their differences are readily apparent even if one has not experienced both. I’m not claiming one is better than the other, just that I am surprised at how useful and easy the Ikuchi is to me.

Team Innovation
anycal

Post by anycal »

For me, if the Ikuchi came earlier in my rabid knife acquisition period, I would definitely have a less knives.
Peter
Terp61

Post by Terp61 »

I absolutely love mine! It’s in my pocket right now. The blade does rest a bit high when closed, but even if I run my finger down the liner there’s no bite. It’s a nice one, for sure.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I’ve heard some people saying online that the compression lock is difficult to access and disengage.

Do you all find that this is the case?

I’m curious because I’ve wanted one since it came out but this is the only flaw (if there is a flaw at all) that is stopping me.

Any input is greatly appreciated thanks everyone.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:35 pm
I’ve heard some people saying online that the compression lock is difficult to access and disengage.

Do you all find that this is the case?

I’m curious because I’ve wanted one since it came out but this is the only flaw (if there is a flaw at all) that is stopping me.

Any input is greatly appreciated thanks everyone.
I don't find it to be especially difficult.

I think the argument can be made that because lockbar access cutout is much smaller, it is "more difficult than [insert other comp lock knife]" to disengage. You do need to be more direct about the placement of your finger on the Ikuchi's lockbar than with other comp lock knives.

Still, I wouldn't call it "difficult" (unless maybe the person operating it had some dexterity issues..). It might feel a little off at first, but I think with some practice you'd get the hang of it no problem. :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Don´t want to derail the thread, but since it was started by Michael Scott, who passed away last November: Could be a good opportunity to remember him! He was a really nice and helpful guy.

/ On the lockbar - thing: I never had an Ikuchi, but a Kapara which also has a rather small cutout (plus a smooth handle): In "normal" use no problem, but if it gets cold and/or wet, a larger cutout (and grippier handle) is (are) nice to have.
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bloke & I were talking about the sad loss of Michael only yesterday ... he was one of the good guys, for sure.

I have big hands and thick fingers, and release the Ikuchi lock very easily with my middle finger nail, holding the knife above that between my forefinger and thumb.

My Ikuchi took a little while to break in, but was worth it. A sticking plaster on my flipper finger helped...
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:13 pm
Don´t want to derail the thread, but since it was started by Michael Scott, who passed away quite recently: Could be a good opportunity to remember him! He was a really nice and helpful guy.

/ On the lockbar - thing: I never had an Ikuchi, but a Kapara which also has a rather small cutout (plus a smooth handle): In "normal" use no problem, but if it gets cold and/or wet, a larger cutout (and grippier handle) is (are) nice to have.
I didn't know Michael has passed. So sorry to hear. He was indeed a good guy. My sincere condolences to his family and friends!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:15 am
Wartstein wrote:
Don´t want to derail the thread, but since it was started by Michael Scott, who passed away quite recently: Could be a good opportunity to remember him! He was a really nice and helpful guy.

I didn't know Michael has passed. So sorry to hear. He was indeed a good guy. My sincere condolences to his family and friends!
This was in November already and Alex/ Bloke informed us in the off topic section:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=88064

And yes, it is sad. He was a good guy.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:

I didn't remember this thread being posted originally and on my cellphone I can't see who started the thread, it only shows who posted last so when I opened the thread and saw his name at the top I had a moment of shock thinking he was somehow back. The last two years I've buried my mother, grandmother, aunt and uncle, and father-in-law all in just over a year of time from each other. I've been around death so much in my life that I have a sort of realistic acceptance of it, but it's never easy. I remember reading some of Michael's posts when he would mention cancer, knowing that the day would eventually come that he wouldn't be here anymore. I also remember some of his posts seeming harsh at times and knowing exactly why he would get that way. I really admired how he pushed on with his knife collection and trying to sort out what he wanted to carry and why. I had a pretty serious health scare once when I thought my time had come and I can relate to how you just have to focus on anything that isn't your illness, any positive distraction you can cling to helps to keep you going. It's funny how something as simple as a pocket knife can help in the worst of times.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
archangel

Post by archangel »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:15 am
Wartstein wrote:

Same here. Somehow this sad news must have slipped through when I was browsing the forum. My condolences.

Michael's "reduce to the max" approach to a perfect Spyderco collection was highly admirable. I had the greatest respect for this, especially in his circumstances.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...