Easy knife sharpener for beginner

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
A.S.

Re: Easy knife sharpener for beginner

Post by A.S. »

Get a KME and Sharpmaker. Both are easy to get the hang of. Sharpmaker for maintenance and KME for duller blades. It will save you so much time and frustration. Plus there are plenty of videos online for both.
JD Spydo

Re: Easy knife sharpener for beginner

Post by JD Spydo »

I highly recommend to start out with the Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker. But like I tell everyone I recommend it to I also think to make it a complete kit you should buy the other stones/rods you can by extra for it like the Diamond rods, The Ultra-Fine stones and the CBN stones too.

Also before you even so much as try it even on a cheap kitchen knife I encourage you to watch the instructional video at least 2 to 3 complete times before even attempting to use it. I'm not sure if the new 204 Sharpmakers still come with the instruction booklets but I do know that they come with the videos. If they do still come with the instruction booklet I also recommend you study that as well>> or at least the highlights of it.

But the video is very comprehensive and you should learn the basics in 2 to 3 viewings. The more you know about the tool the less mistakes you'll make. And don't start out with one of your $100+ Spyders >> learn to use it on everyday kitchen and other types of knives first. I would sharpen at least 2 to 3 cheap knives before I would even touch a high dollar blade.