Am I missing something?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
krsmitty

Am I missing something?

Post by krsmitty »

Hello...first time poster.

Started out with a few of the Spyderco "clones". Thought they were great knives for the $15-20 price range. Moved up to purchasing a Tenacious and Persistence, again great knives for the $40-50 price range. As an OpFocus member thought I would take the advantage of the 50% off and purchased a PM2. Again, a great knife with some good features. But, not seeing the $100 plus cost over my Tenacious. As my subject states...Am I missing something?

Thanks...
Evil D

Re: Am I missing something?

Post by Evil D »

If things like steel performance and country of origin matter to you, then yes you're missing something. If you don't really care about those things then you're probably better off sticking with a Tenacious.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The compression lock is much stronger than a liner lock. S30V has higher corrosion resistance, and much longer edge retention, than 8Cr13MoV. The increased edge retention (AKA wear resistance) of S30V means it's going to be harder to grind than a basic steel like 8Cr13. S30V also requires a more complex hear treat and more expensive equipment to accomplish that heat treat. So, you have a more labor and time intensive blade steel, combined with the much higher worker wages in the USA vs China.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

So essentially you're missing S30V and a compression lock along with every thing required to make them.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Welcome to the forum!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The Tenacious is a great knife and a real bargain, no doubt about it.

But the PM2 is in another league. As everyone has said, the lock and the steel are the differences. Only you can decide if they are worth it to you.

And you may feel it worthwhile to pay something extra for a quality product made in Golden, Colorado.
David R

Post by David R »

Edited to retract my comment. I didn't address the "clones" aspect of this question and should have.
Last edited by David R on Wed May 01, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum krsmitty!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

If you are a serious knife user, you will notice a difference.

FYI, most people here are not serious knife users. They just like spyderco knives. Evil D is an actual user and you can value his advice. There's a few others too. A tenacious can do almost anything you want to do, unless you have a job that requires a lot of cutting. I have a job like that, but I'm one of the few. Most people here just appreciate build quality, smoothness, looks, etc. I do as well, but I look at every model from a utility standpoint. I look at ergonomics and apex stability. My next purchase will likely be a Caribbean sheepsfoot.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

USA
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:17 pm
... My next purchase will likely be a Caribbean sheepsfoot.

I've been thinking about getting a Caribbean myself. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts, if/when you do get one.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
krsmitty

Post by krsmitty »

Good points...
I have to agree on the blade steel. Put the Tenacious to good use the other day and was surprised as to how fast it became dull. Granted, it took less than a minute on the Sharpmaker to get it sharp again. Liked the liner lock for how easy it was closing the blade with it.

Even though I have over 30 knives, I do not consider myself a serious knife user, but you will never find me without one in my pocket. I have everything from Tac-Force ($10) to a Microtech Ultratech ($200).

I will look at other Spyderco's though. My next 2 are a Sliverax and a Manix 2.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would say yes, you are missing something, but the truth is that value is very subjective.

Personally, I do not think that the Tenacious is a good value. Many folks however think it is a good value. I wouldn't buy one. My buddy had an Ambitious and a Tenacious and I was not overly impressed. When it comes to Spyderco's folders I see the law of diminishing returns kicking in somewhere over $150. Once you start climbing over that you start getting less added value for each dollar spent in my opinion.

That is however just one man's opinion and I may or may not be a "serious" knife user. :rolleyes: ;)
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

What you're missing is the idea of diminishing marginal returns.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Hi welcome.

Yes there is a lot you are missing but if it is not apparent to you when using a PM2 versus the Tenacious then the things that matter to others probably will not matter to you at all and in a way that is good, your bank account will remain healthier. :) Avoid the :spyder:
Spyders Bite at all costs, it is too late for me.....
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

Do you need a Rolex to tell time? No.

Some people just like nice things.

Others don’t see the point.
ferider

Post by ferider »

You can drive from A to B in a Camry.

Or in a Mercedes AMG *63.

Most AMG owners will never take their car above 90 miles/hour, in the US at least; or keep it in the garage most of the time.

Savvy ? :)

And welcome to the forum.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pelagic wrote:
I'm one of the few.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:

FYI, most people here are not serious knife users. They just like spyderco knives. Evil D is an actual user and you can value his advice. There's a few others too. A tenacious can do almost anything you want to do, unless you have a job that requires a lot of cutting. I have a job like that, but I'm one of the few. Most people here just appreciate build quality, smoothness, looks, etc. I do as well, but I look at every model from a utility standpoint. I look at ergonomics and apex stability. My next purchase will likely be a Caribbean sheepsfoot.
lol
:unicorn
PStone

Post by PStone »

Pelagic wrote: