Bd1n = better version of 14c28n?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baron Mind

Bd1n = better version of 14c28n?

Post by Baron Mind »

I was reflecting on how much I enjoy sharpening my knives in 14c28n, and the new para 3 in bd1n came to mind. I was wondering how similar they were, so I did a quick comparison on my knife steel app.

The main differences are that bd1n has
.3% more carbon
2% more chromium,
and an addition of .5% molybdenum.

That should result in a higher volume of chromium carbides/nitrides(?), a higher obtainable hardness, and I'm not sure if the moly contributes any carbides, or if it's for further grain refinement, or what other effects it may have. Anyone who is more knowledgeable than myself please in.

Anyhow, my suspicion is bd1n will retain the ease of sharpening, and ease of high levels of sharpness, while gaining some wear resistance, even greater edge stability, and possibly take an even crisper edge. If you're not solely in the market for super high wear resistance, I think bd1n should be a really solid performer. Not a budget steel, but more in the family of CruWear and 52100, not in corrosion resistance, but in everything else.

Depending on the heat treat, this could be a really exciting steel. I'm looking forward to seeing some Rockwell testing done on these new models.
Deadboxhero

Re: Bd1n = better version of 14c28n?

Post by Deadboxhero »

Baron Mind wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:40 pm
I was reflecting on how much I enjoy sharpening my knives in 14c28n, and the new para 3 in bd1n came to mind. I was wondering how similar they were, so I did a quick comparison on my knife steel app.

The main differences are that bd1n has
.3% more carbon
2% more chromium,
and an addition of .5% molybdenum.

That should result in a higher volume of chromium carbides/nitrides(?), a higher obtainable hardness, and I'm not sure if the moly contributes any carbides, or if it's for further grain refinement, or what other effects it may have. Anyone who is more knowledgeable than myself please in.

Anyhow, my suspicion is bd1n will retain the ease of sharpening, and ease of high levels of sharpness, while gaining some wear resistance, even greater edge stability, and possibly take an even crisper edge. If you're not solely in the market for super high wear resistance, I think bd1n should be a really solid performer. Not a budget steel, but more in the family of CruWear and 52100, not in corrosion resistance, but in everything else.

Depending on the heat treat, this could be a really exciting steel. I'm looking forward to seeing some Rockwell testing done on these new models.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77098&hilit=Sal+can+we+get+BD1N

Good info here
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

It feels good to like an inexpensive steel, for once.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

BD1N is like a 440 steel, 14C28N is like 13C26 or AEB-L. In other words, BD1N has reduced toughness but higher wear resistance when compared with 14C28N. If that is the same as better, then you will like BD1N better. If you like 440C better than AEB-L then you will like BD1N better than 14C28N.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
CoolBreeze135

Post by CoolBreeze135 »

Good thoughts. I'm interested for sure. I'm value-oriented, so I really like the bang/buck that Spyderco seems to hit with the lightweight models. I'm also really into trying new steels (I don't do any type of scientific testing or anything). I like 14C28N, so this may be another good steel for me.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Baron Mind wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:40 pm
I'm not sure if the moly contributes any carbides, or if it's for further grain refinement, or what other effects it may have. Anyone who is more knowledgeable than myself please in.
It boosts the corrosion resistance of the steel, and it goes hand in hand with the nitrogen. It particularly boosts pitting resistance, even small amounts of moly have a very significant effect. As another example, besides slightly higher chromium content, the addition of moly into S110V explains its net superior corrosion resistance compared to S90V.

I'm looking forward into getting the Para 3 lw and put it though some good usage, hopefully next month once I get my knife budget back in check :D