corrosion on delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

corrosion on delica?

Post by lonerider1013 »

Corrosion on vg-10?

Looked at my delica today, noticed brownish color in the grooves on the thumb ramp.
sort of rubbed off but some remains,
Is this corrosion?
I could see it happening there as the recesses are protected from being touched and therfore it wouldn't get rubbed off, but the blade lockbar and livers are shiny as when new.
For that matter: does vg10 even rust?

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Wartstein

Re: corrosion on delica?

Post by Wartstein »

In my experience VG10 is quite rust resistant, but eventually CAN rust.
I stated that in a quite recent thread, let me repeat it here: VG10 only one time rusted on me, that was when I cut sheeps cheese, that was kept in a very salty liquid, with my Delica, did not wipe the blade off properly and stored the knife for a month or so.
Other than that: No problems at all, though I carry VG10 folders quite often in totally soken wet pockets or packs for a whole (rainy) day. Admittedly. I do NOT live near the sea or in any other salty climate.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I wonder instead if it was just crud that collected there? I questioned it being corrosion because the rest of the knife is so pristine. Thank you.
Lonerider
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As warstein said, VG-10 is quite rust resistant, but it can rust. Only time it ever happened to me was carelessness/laziness on my part. Namely rinsing the knife off after using it for food prep, shaking off the excess water, then closing the knife and putting it back in my pocket, A bit of electrolysis may also have been a factor. The knife had bronze washers and titanium liners, which I've heard can contribute to corrosion.

How long have you had the Delica? Have you ever looked at those grooves before? I ask because laser cutting can leave a brownish/bronzeish discoloration that is not always removed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Had it about a little over a year but at one point I was carrying it constantly. And I sweat a lot.
However I doubt it is from the manufacturing, my other delica (warnclif) doesn't have the discoloration and its the same steel. But I haven't carried it as much...
Tims

Post by Tims »

I’ve absolutely had corrosion on vg10. I get to it pretty quickly so I can’t comment on advanced stage rust. It’s pretty common for me in summer to have rust spots just from pocket/IWB carry.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have used it in the garden a lot and left plant goo on it and had some brown spots. They have so far buffed off easily enough.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:14 pm
I’ve absolutely had corrosion on vg10. I get to it pretty quickly so I can’t comment on advanced stage rust. It’s pretty common for me in summer to have rust spots just from pocket/IWB carry.
I do not read statements like yours for the first time (and I absolutely believe you of course, don't get me wrong!) and always wonder why this happens to some other people but not to me...
Honestly, I carry VG10 folders very often (Stretch, Endura, sometimes Delica): When running, mountaineering (and sweating!) the whole day in hot summer, on long hikes in pouring rain (and totally wet pockets), even when kayaking on lakes. I really don't "baby" my knives, often times even don't whipe them off, never oil the blades (on VG10 knives, I DO so on my D2 and 1095 fixed blades).
Never any rust problem at all...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tims

Post by Tims »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:15 am
Tims wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:14 pm
I do not read statements like yours for the first time (and I absolutely believe you of course, don't get me wrong!) and always wonder why this happens to some other people but not to me...
Honestly, I carry VG10 folders very often (Stretch, Endura, sometimes Delica): When running, mountaineering (and sweating!) the whole day in hot summer, on long hikes in pouring rain (and totally wet pockets), even when kayaking on lakes. I really don't "baby" my knives, often times even don't whipe them off, never oil the blades (on VG10 knives, I DO so on my D2 and 1095 fixed blades).
Never any rust problem at all...
Dunno mate, could just be body chemistry or what was already on the blade etc. No biggie though, VG10 has been good for me and all I could ask for in an edc steel
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I've had some rust spots on vg10 blades over the years, but It's rare. Once I started storing a chamois right next to my knives, it stopped.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

My oldest Spyderco is a ten year old combo-edge Delica in VG10. It was my primary carry knife for seven years. Over life's journey in my pocket it has been exposed to all sorts of corrosive elements. I've washed it with soap and water and shaken it dry before using to cut a steak. It's taken several trips through the clothes washer when forgotten in the pocket of my jeans. It has done a little of most everything short of scuba diving in salt water. In my experience, VG10 is very rust resistant. It is carbon steel, so it can rust. I just try to keep it clean and it dry as soon as possible after it is exposed to moisture. Whenever I think about it I apply a bit of lubricant to the pivot and lock areas. If you notice oxidation starting to form on your VG10, clean it up and start treating more like you would a simple high carbon non-stainless steel.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What then are some good materials you all recommend for those of us who have VG10 steel knives like the Delica, to quickly get rid of rust? The chamois cloth and also things like Metal Glo? I read there is Steel Glo and Metal Glo. What else can you add to this?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kwselke wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:44 am
My oldest Spyderco is a ten year old combo-edge Delica in VG10. It was my primary carry knife for seven years. Over life's journey in my pocket it has been exposed to all sorts of corrosive elements. I've washed it with soap and water and shaken it dry before using to cut a steak. It's taken several trips through the clothes washer when forgotten in the pocket of my jeans. It has done a little of most everything short of scuba diving in salt water. In my experience, VG10 is very rust resistant. It is carbon steel, so it can rust. I just try to keep it clean and it dry as soon as possible after it is exposed to moisture. Whenever I think about it I apply a bit of lubricant to the pivot and lock areas. If you notice oxidation starting to form on your VG10, clean it up and start treating more like you would a simple high carbon non-stainless steel.
Funny, your post could have been written by me... ;) My first Spyderco was a combo edge Delica also, still have it, and still use it, though almost exclusivly as my rock climbing knife, clipped with a carabiner to my harness these days (in that capacity it does a great job).

Like you I never had any rust problems (other than that little spots when I did not wipe of a very salty liquid for more than a month, see my previous post), though the knife really had to endure lot of wet enviroments.

In my experience VG10 can be seen as practically almost totally rustproof even in wet, but NOT (!) salty enviroments. I am really not entitled to give an opinion when it comes to sea climate and using VG10 in or near salt water, since I never have stayed in such enviroments for longer periods of time.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:37 am
What then are some good materials you all recommend for those of us who have VG10 steel knives like the Delica, to quickly get rid of rust? The chamois cloth and also things like Metal Glo? I read there is Steel Glo and Metal Glo. What else can you add to this?
Can´t help, sorry! The one single time I had rust on a VG10 blade I used very agressive steel wool to remove it. While that did work, my Delica still has well visible scratches on the blade from doing so. I do not mind that at all on that particular knife (it was my main EDC for one or two years quite a long time ago and is my rock climbing knife nowadays, so quite beat up anyways), but can not recommend steel wool of course to anyone who wants to keep the blade unscratched!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

With few expectations I think any blade steel has the potential to rust under the right conditions and only the degree varies. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I had an endura rust in a cabinet among a bunch of other new never used knives. It got cleaned and a new one replaced it. The only one it ever happened to. No biggy just became another user.
Glock27

Post by Glock27 »

The only time I've gotten corrosion on VG-10 was when using "Nickle Safe" ice machine cleaner and my Endura to scrape large calcium deposits....and didn't rinse thoroughly right afterword.
Phosphoric acid will etch it.

G27