Para 3 lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tims

Para 3 lightweight

Post by Tims »

I’ve just ordered mine but reading around the forum I see theres a few in pockets already.

Would love to hear your thoughts on it. Particularly any comments on the action compared to the g10 version. Also, pics!
cycleguy

Re: Para 3 lightweight

Post by cycleguy »

Would also like to hear commentary re the BD1N.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've got one on the way. :spyder:
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Had the Para 3 LW PE in my pocket the last two days!
Our sample OOTB had the pivot cranked tight (couldn’t snap flick it closed using compression lock) and the blade 10-15% off center. The edge was hair whittling sharp with somewhat straight bevels ....not the large deep uneven grind towards the tip on one side... like some recent dealer exclusives! I disassembled the knife (took 5 minutes ) using three different Torx :T6 for stop pin screws, T8 for body screws, and T10 for the pivot. Not heavily caked with thread lock...very easy to get everything stripped down COMPLETELY!

I used 400 grit to sand the inside edges of the FRN scales as they were a little sharp, Very easy mod that took 2 minutes . Knife went back together very easily and has 75% of the action of the normal G10 Para 3. The knife slow rolls , Thumb /spidie flicks, and spydie drops with no issues. Getting the blade so there's no play makes closing the knife with the the "normal" compression lock wrist snap in more challenging. You can see that condition in most of the YouTube videos...especially GP knives.

That's the nature of the build with this knife and doesn't hurt its performance whatsoever as far as I can tell. The P3LW goes into my pocket with no problems and the clip seems to have decent retention. If your expectations are for a cheaper FRN knife with similar cutting ability, Ergos, and a compression lock...you won't be disappointed. If you think your getting the "solid" feel and stellar action of the G10 Para 3 for 91 dollars. ...you might be in for a let down. Love it so far.... :)

James

Can't tell you anything about the steel yet!
Tims

Post by Tims »

Extra330SC wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:32 pm
Had the Para 3 LW PE in my pocket the last two days!
Our sample OOTB had the pivot cranked tight (couldn’t snap flick it closed using compression lock) and the blade 10-15% off center. The edge was hair whittling sharp with somewhat straight bevels ....not the large deep uneven grind towards the tip on one side... like some recent dealer exclusives! I disassembled the knife (took 5 minutes ) using three different Torx :T6 for stop pin screws, T8 for body screws, and T10 for the pivot. Not heavily caked with thread lock...very easy to get everything stripped down COMPLETELY!

I used 400 grit to sand the inside edges of the FRN scales as they were a little sharp, Very easy mod that took 2 minutes . Knife went back together very easily and has 75% of the action of the normal G10 Para 3. The knife slow rolls , Thumb /spidie flicks, and spydie drops with no issues. Getting the blade so there's no play makes closing the knife with the the "normal" compression lock wrist snap in more challenging. You can see that condition in most of the YouTube videos...especially GP knives.

That's the nature of the build with this knife and doesn't hurt its performance whatsoever as far as I can tell. The P3LW goes into my pocket with no problems and the clip seems to have decent retention. If your expectations are for a cheaper FRN knife with similar cutting ability, Ergos, and a compression lock...you won't be disappointed. If you think your getting the "solid" feel and stellar action of the G10 Para 3 for 91 dollars. ...you might be in for a let down. Love it so far.... :)

James

Can't tell you anything about the steel yet!
Now that’s a reply! thanks for taking the time mate.

I’m a fan of the compression lock free drop open/close so a little bummed on your evaluation of that but not a big deal. I don’t mind a bit of side to side slop so I can live with that to get ‘er dropp’n.

Will be interesting to hear other peoples experience with blade centering
PineChaos

Post by PineChaos »

Tims wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:54 pm

I’m a fan of the compression lock free drop open/close so a little bummed on your evaluation of that but not a big deal. I don’t mind a bit of side to side slop so I can live with that to get ‘er dropp’n.

The single phosphor bronze washer is thicker than the built-in frn washer, it pushes the blade slightly off center. I'm sure they could have made the FRN thicker to make the centering "appear" perfect but probably wanted to keep the design as thin as possible. The important part is that the flats of the blade are square with the handles, which they are.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Tims wrote:

So let me get this straight...as long as your knife is fidget friendly, your totally fine with it having potentially dangerous, side to side play?? As long as you can flick it around, it's no big deal...safety doesn't matter?? :confused:

Sometimes I need to bite my tongue, but come on dude... that's ridiculous. Maybe play around with something less dangerous to curb your ADD if you're not even using it for what it was made for...cutting things.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:52 pm

So let me get this straight...as long as your knife is fidget friendly, your totally fine with it having potentially dangerous, side to side play?? As long as you can flick it around, it's no big deal...safety doesn't matter?? :confused:

I think we should keep it in perspective that a lot of the people who are buying knives for $100+ aren't using them very hard. A few boxes/packages here and there, maybe some food, etc...
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Tims wrote:
Extra330SC wrote:

I forgot to mention that the knife had a decent amount of lock stick if the blade was flicked out hard ! Slow rolling the knife into the opening position showed no such issue. Upon reassembly after sanding the scales. ..the lock is fine no matter how hard you open the blade. Also the top of the metal plate and compression lock tab are proud of the top of scale..while the G10 version is flush. (See picture) Just an observation as your finger should be in front of both when cutting...but could be an issue for some.

I really think anyone who likes the "feeling " of FRN or FRCP and enjoys using a compression lock will like this knife.

James
Attachments
2019-04-25 20.52.07.jpg
Tims

Post by Tims »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:52 pm
Tims wrote:

Sometimes I need to bite my tongue, but come on dude... that's ridiculous. Maybe play around with something less dangerous to curb your ADD if you're not even using it for what it was made for...cutting things.
Don’t bite your tongue mate, have at it :)

I’ve got dozens of knives to fit all situations, including hard use. I won’t be batoning bricks with this one. Slight horizontal blade play dangerous? That’s a new one to me.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Extra330SC wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:58 pm
Tims wrote:
Extra330SC wrote:

I forgot to mention that the knife had a decent amount of lock stick if the blade was flicked out hard ! Slow rolling the knife into the opening position showed no such issue. Upon reassembly after sanding the scales. ..the lock is fine no matter how hard you open the blade. Also the top of the metal plate and compression lock tab are proud of the top of scale..while the G10 version is flush. (See picture) Just an observation as your finger should be in front of both when cutting...but could be an issue for some.

I really think anyone who likes the "feeling " of FRN or FRCP and enjoys using a compression lock will like this knife.

James
I get some occasional stick with compression and axis locks if I throw the blade out a bit hard, I’ve just come to accept it as being the nature of those locks. I’ll hold my thoughts on the lock tab until I get it in hand, it mightn’t be an issue.

Again great info, thanks
Tims

Post by Tims »

PineChaos wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:19 pm
Tims wrote:

The single phosphor bronze washer is thicker than the built-in frn washer, it pushes the blade slightly off center. I'm sure they could have made the FRN thicker to make the centering "appear" perfect but probably wanted to keep the design as thin as possible. The important part is that the flats of the blade are square with the handles, which they are.
As long as the blade’s not rubbing on the scales, all good. Like potentially deadly horizontal blade play, off center blades by design is a new one.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Tims wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:39 pm
PineChaos wrote:
Tims wrote:

As long as the blade’s not rubbing on the scales, all good. Like potentially deadly horizontal blade play, off center blades by design is a new one.
Can you explain more about “potentially deadly horizontal blade play”? I don’t understand.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Tims

Post by Tims »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:43 pm
Tims wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:39 pm
PineChaos wrote:
Tims wrote:

Can you explain more about “potentially deadly horizontal blade play”? I don’t understand.
Tongue in cheek mate. See TkoK83Spy’s reply above about the dangers of blade play
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Mine does not arrive until Monday. So of course, I'm here to get my fix in the meantime! :D

I've been following this knife's journey, up until this point. For quite some time. I now have a question, that I'd love to ask Sal.

Why go with FRN on this model, and not FRCP? Like is being used, on another in-house built lightweight. The Manix 2 LW.
We know the material is in the building. We know FRCP has many advantages. I know, I love it on my Manix 2 knives. I just have to scratch my head, wondering what reason could be given.

After thinking on it long and hard. The only thing I can come up with, that could make sense. Is that if while designing this knife, and knowing ahead of time. That the washer on the non-metal side of the knife blade. Was going to be built into the scale. That FRN somehow has better wear and or 'slickness' characteristics, than FRCP?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Absolutely awesome. Perfect out of the box. Image
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Tims

Post by Tims »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:27 pm
Mine does not arrive until Monday. So of course, I'm here to get my fix in the meantime! :D

I've been following this knife's journey, up until this point. For quite some time. I now have a question, that I'd love to ask Sal.

Why go with FRN on this model, and not FRCP? Like is being used, on another in-house built lightweight. The Manix 2 LW.
We know the material is in the building. We know FRCP has many advantages. I know, I love it on my Manix 2 knives. I just have to scratch my head, wondering what reason could be given.

After thinking on it long and hard. The only thing I can come up with, that could make sense. Is that if while designing this knife, and knowing ahead of time. That the washer on the non-metal side of the knife blade. Was going to be built into the scale. That FRN somehow has better wear and or 'slickness' characteristics, than FRCP?
No idea Steve but the Native LW’s have the moulded boss instead of washers and I think they’re frcp. I personally can’t tell much difference between frn and frcp and think a lot of the difference in texture has more to do with the mould than the material.

In any case, I’m happy with frn
Tims

Post by Tims »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:54 pm
Lucky bugger, mines still somewhere in the sky between the US and Australia.

Hows the action and centering?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Tims wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:16 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:

The best of any para anything I've owned
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Tims

Post by Tims »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:17 pm
Tims wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:16 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:

The best of any para anything I've owned
Music to my ears, fingers crossed my example is as good as yours