Para 3 lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: Para 3 lightweight

Post by James Y »

The G10 Para 3 is my favorite approximately 3" -bladed Spyderco knife. I'll be interested to hear, as people gain more experience using the Lwt version for all kinds of chores, how it performs/compares.

I would love to see an LC200N version of the Para 3.

Jim
gigem95

Post by gigem95 »

I received my Para 3 LW today, and I am very impressed with the quality so far out of the box. Centering is almost spot on, absolutely no blade play, lockup is early and tight. My knife easily flicks open and drops closed, which I didn't expect right away. Neither of the two Native 5's I've had did this, and still don't. Of course, this may be due to the back lock vs the compression lock. The Para 3 LW came shaving sharp also, needing no touch up out of the box.

I have average sized hands for a man. Living in Houston, I don't have many winter gloves, but I do wear an XL golf glove, which seem to run a bit small. My fingers may be a bit on the slender side. I can barely get 4 fingers on both my Native 5 LW, and my Para 3 LW. The Para 3 has a tiny bit more handle showing, although neither has much at all.

Overall, I am quite pleased with this knife, and I'm looking forward to adding it to my EDC rotation and using it for a little while to see how it handles daily duties. The Para 3 lineup has quickly become my favorite by Spyderco, and I look forward to seeing what is next on the horizon.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I received my Para 3 Lightweight today as well and can also report nothing but a great first impression. Shaving sharp, solid lockup, nearly perfect centering, and the action was perfect right out of box! Opens very smoothly and drops shut, straight out of the box! :cool:

I'm not sure what I like better yet, the scales or the addition of a wire clip! The rounded edges on the FRN scales are a great ergonomic improvement over the G10 scales, in my opinion. It feels awesome in hand!
The wire clip really seats the knife deep in your pocket now and unless I just missed this detail on previous models, I also noticed a change in the shape of the wire clip, which I really like. The top is completely round now compared to being squared off. I'm excited to carry this one for a bit to get a better impression of the new scales and steel. :spyder:

Para 3 LW Clip on the left - Lil Native Clip on the Right
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I received mine today too. Nothing to complain about here. One thing I do find interesting is the toned down bidirectional texturing. I'm used to the extra grippy stuff. The Para ought to be a little easier on the pocket. So it's a fair trade off.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Got mine today. I find it to be just about what I hoped for. Nicely contoured scales like I have been hoping to see again after a series of slab sided FRN models. The only nit-picking I can do is that the inside edges of the FRN were a tad sharp. 5 minutes of light sanding and its more comfortable. I saw some people on Instagram crying about how Spyderco cheaped out with only using 1 washer- I had no doubts that it would be anything but smooth. I have to say its very, very smooth; almost as smooth as my well broken in G-10 P3. Kudos to Sal and Eric.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Good eye, Mushroom. I hadn't noticed the wire clip variation until your post.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
attila

Post by attila »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:47 pm

It looks like your Lil Native is chisel ground. Would you mind elaborating about that strange looking tip?

Thanks!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I just noticed this seki-like name badge, the manix 2 lw and Native 5 lw lack this
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

attila wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:58 pm
Mushroom wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/n13mdLQ.jpg

It looks like your Lil Native is chisel ground. Would you mind elaborating about that strange looking tip?

Thanks!
Yep, you're right, it is chisel ground! :D It's actually the serrated edge model, so it's still chisel ground along the whole edge.
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

araneae wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:51 pm
I saw some people on Instagram crying about how Spyderco cheaped out with only using 1 washer- I had no doubts that it would be anything but smooth. I have to say its very, very smooth; almost as smooth as my well broken in G-10 P3. Kudos to Sal and Eric.
Some people really don't have a clue. My guess is that decision had nothing to do with cost reduction. How much could one washer cost? The action on my P3LW is great. It was just short of free dropping when I took it out of the box (like some of my G10 P3s have been). I backed off the clip side pivot screw a tiny bit (1/8 turn?l and it was too loose. Tightened it up to about halfway to where it started and the action is exactly how I like it.

I've looked at mine a little closer and it's very nice. Edge bevels are even, centering is dead on, etc. I'll still carry my Native 5 LWs but the wire clip alone will earn this P3LW some extra pocket time.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Very pleased with mine. Looks extremely competitive at its price point!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Reading all these impressions is getting me excited! I love my G10 para 3, and my G10 and LW Manix 2s. I think I'll love my para 3 equally. Now if it will just arrive! Maybe I should call blade HQ and ask if they've even gotten them in yet. I'm really getting antsy for this knife!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Mushroom wrote:

My S110V UKPK has the same rounded top wire clip, but I never would have noticed it if you hadn’t brought it up here- good find!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mine is apparently lost in transit. Was supposed to be delivered to my work yesterday. The tracking number has no updates since departing from Albany (4 hours or so from here) on Monday morning at 3:45. Good thing I'm not short on knives and have a couple new ones to hold me over!

Really want this new contoured handle in my hands though!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

For those of you who have not seen it check out the latest Spyderco Byte. There is a great article on the Para 3 lightweight and injection molded technology and handles as well. Well worth the read. You can get it on the Spyderco website.

https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-by ... d21d6eedc8
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
elena86

Post by elena86 »

One question for those who own both : is it ground thinner behind the edge than the G10 variant ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:16 am
One question for those who own both : is it ground thinner behind the edge than the G10 variant ?
I doubt it but I'll try to measure mine tonight
mayong

Post by mayong »

Mine came yesterday and I'm happy to report that it's exceeded my expectations. Action is very fluid and it feels great in hand. Very much a fan of this lightweight revolution.

Paramilitary 2 LW, wru?! :D
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Mine arrived today! I was not expecting the action to be this smooth out of the box.. very nice! Loving the wire clip on this too! I'm very impressed with this knife, especially at the price point. Well done Spyderco!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Waiting for a LC200N all black version of it...