Para 3 lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aquaman67

Re: Para 3 lightweight

Post by aquaman67 »

Vivi wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:32 pm
aquaman67 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:23 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:02 am
aquaman67 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:31 am

I wear xl or size 11 gloves. I would say I have average size hands.

Since you have a Delica, the Para 3 handle is the same length. Whatever grip you can get on a Delica will be the same on s Para 3 without using the choil.
Thanks for your reply! But to be honest: I can't believe thar the Para 3 offers the same length of usable grip area behind its choil as the Delica grip does:

I have a PM2 and a Delica, the Delica clearly offers MORE usable grip area in length than the PM2 (behind the choil).

So, since the Para 3 is smaller than the PM2, how could it ever offer the same amount of usable grip area (not choked up) as a Delica, when even the PM2 does not?!

To be clear:
On PM2 and Para 3 the usable grip area is between the front guard and "rear guard" (=the "hook" at the rear end of the handle).
On the Delica you can comfortably use the whole length of the handle.

So I strongly figure that the Para 3 only offers a 3 or 3.5 finger grip behind the coil for XL hands... but, admittedly, I never handled one.

I’m comfortable calling this a four finger grip
That grips looks uncomfortable. Do you ever use it?
Yes

More than I thought I would. I thought I would like to use the choil like I do on the Native 5. But the regular grip is comfortable to me.

One reason I bought the Para 3 was the choil. Lack of a choil is one thing I think is missing on the Delica. I like the choil on the Native 5. But with the Para 3 either way works and it feels fine without using the choil grip.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I ordered mine tonight. I have a number of knives on the block. I have grown to really like the Para 3 and I think the light weight model will suit me even better. Thanks for all the posts about this knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Lots to love about the Para3 this one in particular kills it with a better handle and an awesome steel that is easy to get shaving sharp.

It is also very light weight. This ticks off 3 major points. The compression lock is very secure and well implemented also.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:10 pm
Not abrasive at all can be carried in business casual slacks without fear of abrading the pocket material far smoother than G-10 the clip contacts a smooth disk on the handle with the spydie :spyder: logo.
Thanks for the info! The reason I asked is because I stopped carrying my Native 5 Lightweight because its clip/handle contact point started shredding my cargo pocket by clipping and pulling it out only a couple of times. The Para 3 LWT looks and sounds like it has a better clip/handle contact point.

Jim
Doeswhateveraspidercan

You are welcome own both this is better
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Got my Para 3 LW today. What a great knife! I've always been a huge fan of wire clips and FRN, so this ticks a lot of boxes. Especially with the deep carry wire clip placement. Smooth action, and the lockup is nice and loud. Have had this clipped IWB to a pair of mesh shorts all day and I don't even notice it. This is going to make a great lightweight work knife. And that price makes it that much better! Looking forward to testing out BD1N as well!

I've heard there are at least 10 dealer exclusives already requested in this model, and I think I'll be buying most for how great of a value these are! REALLY looking forward to a Salt version as well!!

Great job Eric and team!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

still waiting blade hq :(
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

You and me both. I would cancel and order elsewhere, but I'm cheap and don't want to lose my 5 dollars! Lol!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Wright.88 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:15 pm
Would love a Para 3 LW with a 2.5mm blade.
This is the one change I would make to this knife as well.. Otherwise, I'm loving it!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:15 am
Wright.88 wrote:
This is the one change I would make to this knife as well.. Otherwise, I'm loving it!
Not sure if a comp. lock would really work well with such thin bladestock - ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:29 am
T_MAC686 wrote:
Wright.88 wrote:
I believe the first comp lock folder, the Vesuvius, was around 2-2.5mm thick.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:32 am
Wartstein wrote:
T_MAC686 wrote:
Wright.88 wrote:
Ok, thanx for the insight. I figured, that maybe the comp. lock would require a certain amount of "contact area" where it contacts the blade, and 2.5 could be a bit narrow for that. But never really looked at a comp. lock in detail.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Vivi wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:32 am
Wartstein wrote:
T_MAC686 wrote:
Wright.88 wrote:

Yea I have read about the Vesuvius, definitely one of my “grail” knives.. I have the Centofante 3 and love that too, but it would be awesome with a compression lock (not that the back lock is bad, love those too!) I think it would also benefit from an adjustable pivot or torx construction
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

For the evolution of the design and what I perceive to be the intended (designed for) use, I think the blade stock is fine.
Last edited by MichaelScott on Sun May 05, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Is there going to be a partly serrated blade version of the Para3 LW ?

I am on the fence about buying a fully serrated version of this and would much prefer a PS blade. PS Blades in my experience are the best of both worlds.
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

I picked up one of these in plain edge at a brick and mortar store close to me here in Canada this morning. They got stock in on Tuesday. I handled one for quite a while before I decided to purchase it. I have 4 G10 versions in different steels so I didn't really need it and It certainly wasn't instant love for me. After only a few hours of fondling (not real use yet) here are my thoughts that are barely worth $0.02 but here you go.

Pros:
Although I prefer regular over wire clips this deeper carry is much better than the G10 version.
The whole clip vs. laynard hold positions are better than the G10 version (I wish they would redesign this portion of the G10 version).
Handle contouring feels better in my hand compared to the G10 version.
Action on my specimen feels comparable to my G10 versions.
Price.

Cons:
The thick blade stock combined with the almost linerless handle creates a balance point more forward of the G10 version. Not a lot but I prefer the G10 in this regard.
My one personal knife OCD is perfect blade centering when closed and I had to go through 4 samples to find one I was pleased with. I have never had to do that with the G10 versions I bought. Maybe just my bad luck this time around.
Feels cheaper than the G10 version. Probably because it is. So this is really a Con as well as a Pro. Kind of you get what you pay for between the two different versions.

If I had other blades in BD1N, I likely would have taken a pass because I really like the overall quality feel of my G10 versions in comparison. I bought this one primary so I could experience this particular steel at a reasonable price point.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I've participated in, and have read all of this thread, as far as I can tell, and have seen no mention of the printing on this blade yet. Has anyone else here noticed that it's different? Has Spyderco mentioned this publicly, somewhere, and I have just missed it?

I get at least 2 Spyderco knives a month, so I'm pretty current, and have never seen printing like this before.
When tilting the blade back-n-forth in the light. I see a blue/green sort of reflection. It looks very nice, and have to think that they either got a new machine, and are now getting this look by accident. Or, got a new machine to print/etch like this on purpose, to help with the fight against clone knives, going forward.

Thoughts?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Funny you say that, because when I was looking at mine compared to my other Para 3 models, I too thought the print looked a little different. I just chalked it up as my others having been cleaned up with Flitz a few times, that maybe that made them look a bit different. You could be onto something here though, I never compared it to my other models.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:59 am
I've participated in, and have read all of this thread, as far as I can tell, and have seen no mention of the printing on this blade yet. Has anyone else here noticed that it's different? Has Spyderco mentioned this publicly, somewhere, and I have just missed it?

I get at least 2 Spyderco knives a month, so I'm pretty current, and have never seen printing like this before.
When tilting the blade back-n-forth in the light. I see a blue/green sort of reflection. It looks very nice, and have to think that they either got a new machine, and are now getting this look by accident. Or, got a new machine to print/etch like this on purpose, to help with the fight against clone knives, going forward.

Thoughts?
I just compared mine (with and without magnification) to my first run Para 3 G10 and it looks the same to me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tjsblade wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:37 am

Cons:
The thick blade stock combined with the almost linerless handle creates a balance point more forward of the G10 version. Not a lot but I prefer the G10 in this regard.
Main reason why I would always choose the upcoming Sage 5 LW over the Para 3 LW. Never considered the balance point though to be honest, just that especially such a small knife is better suited by a thin, slicy blade like the Sage offers imho.