Para 3 lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JaseRicco

Re: Para 3 lightweight

Post by JaseRicco »

Been following the Para 3 LW’s journey since the beginning and am very excited that they have started shipping. Hope my experience is as good as SpydieGirl88’s, though first impressions seem to be all over at this point...such is with any brand new drop I suppose.

I was able to grab a BNIB on trade over at Bladeforums, eagerly awaiting it’s arrival. :D
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

So jealous... Waiting on BladeHQ... Lol
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

I have 4 different G10 Para 3 models and they are my favourite models right now. I am going to first go to a brick and mortar store and handle a lightweight before I commit. I'm worried it may feel tip heavy. I really enjoy the balance of the G10 versions.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Mine came in yesterday from GPKnives. Man those guys are fast, Fast, Fast!!!

Was delighted to see it.

First impressions in hand oh Wow this P3LW really is extremely light.

Opened the knife and it felt solid, looked at the blade grind it was nice and even on both sides.

Now for the paper test. Nice but not as impressive as the recent NIB PM2 Cruwear with factory edge. Some knife steels from the factory are just super extra sharp. This was not one of them.

Factory edge is best described as more toothy than Cruwear but perhaps a bit less then LC200N

All this is to say a nice sharp little bugger. I approve.

Put it through some work breaking down cardboard and it is a little laser just breezes right through it.

Some plastics did good as well.

Cleaned it and did some food work here is where I noticed it could use a touch up with over ripe tomatoes being set out for the critters but still did a very respectable job.

The handle is superior to the G-10 versions more comfortable. It is the kind of knife that goes in your hand and your hand just fits and finds it’place.

Wire clip is perfect placement is perfect deep discrete carry may stone wash or acid etch to get rid of the shine but love the wire clip.

Sal says Eric is a better designer but the way this fits somebody was blindfolded and designed in the dark!

Perfect adaptation and perhaps superior to the original.

I am a very satisfied customer and look forward to the sprints if this me LW design without hesitation or reservation.

C’Mon Spyderco let’s have some Cruwear, some CTS-XHP, some M4, VG-10, LC200N ,V4 and aw heck why not satisfy the 52100, K390 and REX 45 crowds too we got a winner on our hands with this one and frankly the PM2 can go LW also.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Soooo sharp ....sliced the golds on its own! :cool:

James
Attachments
2019-04-28 09.17.28.jpg
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

It sure does! I like that knife!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Tims wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:14 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:27 pm
Mine does not arrive until Monday. So of course, I'm here to get my fix in the meantime! :D

I've been following this knife's journey, up until this point. For quite some time. I now have a question, that I'd love to ask Sal.

Why go with FRN on this model, and not FRCP? Like is being used, on another in-house built lightweight. The Manix 2 LW.
We know the material is in the building. We know FRCP has many advantages. I know, I love it on my Manix 2 knives. I just have to scratch my head, wondering what reason could be given.

After thinking on it long and hard. The only thing I can come up with, that could make sense. Is that if while designing this knife, and knowing ahead of time. That the washer on the non-metal side of the knife blade. Was going to be built into the scale. That FRN somehow has better wear and or 'slickness' characteristics, than FRCP?
No idea Steve but the Native LW’s have the moulded boss instead of washers and I think they’re frcp. I personally can’t tell much difference between frn and frcp and think a lot of the difference in texture has more to do with the mould than the material.

In any case, I’m happy with frn
Thank you, Tims.
Yes, you're right. About the mold having a direct impact on the texture/outcome of the scale finish. I'm sure this one will feel good in the hand. They always seem to get it right. But, I won't ever forget either. The first time I held a FRCP LW knife in my hand. I thought to myself. "Man, this is the way it should be!" - Then after time, and a lot of use comparing the two. My early sense, has been confirmed.

I guess that I'm looking more in the direction of the industry, and with Spyderco in particular. With my question to Sal. I try to get every 'new' type of Spyderco in my hands, as soon as I can. This LW Para 3, qualifies for that. So I can keep current, as to how the folding knife industry/Spyderco is evolving. This will be another catch-n-release for me. My heart lies with the larger Manix 2.

When thinking back, to hearing Sal say: "The FRCP is new, and offers more of what we want in a knife. It's tougher, stronger, has more color capability, and is not significantly more expensive. In fact, the strength was surprising when we broke the light weight Manix." - This is part of what goes through my head, as I scratch it. Thinking about a new, Golden made, FRN knife. If FRCP is superior, and has more/easier coloring options. Which I'm sure is correct. Why go back? Especially considering the facility in question, Golden. Has been choosing, and injecting FRCP, in the recent past. Maybe even as recent as last week?

Does this mean that future Para 3 LW varieties, will be less 'colorful', than they could have been with FRCP? Was FRN chosen, because of the smaller nature of this knife, and it's shorter spans? Has the FRCP price increased so much, in the passed 5 years. That it's not nearly as viable an option in 2019? Will the Manix 2 LW, be moved to FRN production?

Inquiring minds want to know! :D
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

The Native LW is FRN, and is available (or has been) in a number of colors.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I prefer FRN to FRCP, by a lot. It feels much better to me.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The FRN feels "softer" to me in hand. I'm not sure what the real difference is though, and I'd guess that functionally they are more or less interchangeable. I definitely know people who prefer one over the other, but to me it's mostly just "well, this knife is made from this material".
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

Mine came yesterday from GPKnives.

My first impression was it’s bigger than I thought it would be.

I really like it a lot and have carried it all day (after flipping the clip to the correct side)

I compared the feeling in the hand to the Lightweight Native 5 and Delica 4.

The Para 3 feels better in my hand than the Lightweight Native 5. I can get a 4 finger grip without using the choil. Something I can’t do in the Native 5. The edges on the Para 3 are more rounded and comfortable. They are the same thickness.

The Para 3 is bigger and thicker than the Delica 4. Also feels heavier but I didn’t check the actual weights. (EDIT: the Delica is actually 0.1 oz heavier)

I haven’t cut anything with it yet so no reviews on the sharpness or the steel.

I don’t flick my knives so no problems with the lock.

This will be my new work knife for a while. I like the deep carry wire clip. It disappears in your pocket.

I asked GPKnives to check the centering and the grinds before they sent it to me. Either they did or I got lucky. Mine is centered and the grinds on both sides are identical.

Tims

Post by Tims »

Well, from all reports it looks like it’s a home run, not a sad face in the place. Encouraging to see blade centering isn’t an issue for everyone.
I wish the postie would hurry up!
jacala

Post by jacala »

My Para 3 Lightweight is currently at LA Intl. Should be leaving soon--I hope !!
Anddddd I just received a Smock that I had on pre order at BHQ in early June 2018 !!!!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aquaman67 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:22 pm

The Para 3 feels better in my hand than the Lightweight Native 5. I can get a 4 finger grip without using the choil. Something I can’t do in the Native 5. The edges on the Para 3 are more rounded and comfortable. They are the same thickness.

That´s interesting! May I ask: What is your hand- / glove size?

I got rid of my Native, exactly because I did not like that I HAD to use the choil to get a four finger grip, while the handle itself in length COULD have offered enough space for that (a four finger grip) if it would have been shaped differently.

If now the Para 3 offers a good four finger grip also behind the choil, that would be a good thing.. (though I still wouldn´t buy one I guess, just since I have not much need for small knives and the little I have is covered by my Delica, Chap and BM Minigriptillian.)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:22 am
aquaman67 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:22 pm

That´s interesting! May I ask: What is your hand- / glove size?

I got rid of my Native, exactly because I did not like that I HAD to use the choil to get a four finger grip, while the handle itself in length COULD have offered enough space for that (a four finger grip) if it would have been shaped differently.

If now the Para 3 offers a good four finger grip also behind the choil, that would be a good thing.. (though I still wouldn´t buy one I guess, just since I have not much need for small knives and the little I have is covered by my Delica, Chap and BM Minigriptillian.)
I wear xl or size 11 gloves. I would say I have average size hands.

Since you have a Delica, the Para 3 handle is the same length. Whatever grip you can get on a Delica will be the same on s Para 3 without using the choil.
lunde

Post by lunde »

My overall favorite Spyderco knife is the PM2. Although I own 20 Para3 specimens with non-FRN handles, with six of them having Carbon Fiber handles, this new FRN-handled version feels like what the Para3 should have been from the beginning.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

If you have owned the bugout you know if you squeeze the scales together you can almost get them to touch. I tried squeezing the scales on my para 3 lw and they barely moved. My centering is perfect and the lockup is super solid. Very interesting how they achieved perfect centering with the use of one washer. The only minor things I noticed were the scales are a little bit sharp on the inner edge. This is going to sound dumb, but this is the loudest knife I own. The lockup is super loud. Idk maybe I'm going crazy. Anyway, Nice job spyderco!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Got notification mine will be delivered today...to my work address...and I'm on vacation doing house chores.

Yeaaa...I'll be taking a trip to work later :rolleyes:

SG, I totally get it haha! That's how I feel about my Gayle Bradley 2, lockup is very loud compared to any of my others...I love it! My wife, who is slowly warming up to the knives even knows the difference between the GB2 and the others :cool:

I'm hoping I'm as lucky as you with that lockup.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

So glad to hear the positive reviews of the para 3 lightweight. I'm all about weight savings, and have really tossed around the idea of picking one of these up. I currently have a para 3 in G 10, so those of you that have both if you had to give one up for the other which would it be?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I have owned 2 para 3 g10/cf models and sold them both bc I hated the clip position. The para 3 lw is everything I love in a spyderco knife and is a really great value
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb