Consistent edc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cowboyfromhell

Consistent edc

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

How long did you exclusively carry a certain knife? Myself, I went 10+ years with the same knife before I made a change. I'm currently testing my first spyderco-- a PM2 sv30 bk g10...me likey so far.
Naperville

Re: Consistent edc

Post by Naperville »

I rotate through abt 10 to 15 knives in my collection and make use of Spyderco, Bastinelli, Hinderer, Zero Tolerance and Winkler Knives.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

About 9 years for me. Small Kershaw flipper.

Those days are gone. Now it's hard for me to go for one month. :rolleyes:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've got 16 great Spyderco knives, and 12 of them that I rotate as edc knives. Sadly, I have a difficult time carrying the same knife for more than 2 days at a time because of the variety I have. I always tell myself to carry the same knife for a week straight, then another the following week, etc...but I never end up doing it :o
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:46 pm
How long did you exclusively carry a certain knife? Myself, I went 10+ years with the same knife before I made a change. I'm currently testing my first spyderco-- a PM2 sv30 bk g10...me likey so far.
What knife was it that you carried for 10 years? How did you like it (pros / cons)

I carried a Gerber Gator starting at the age of 15 or so for about 4 or 5 years :eek: before I knew anything about knives. It was marked 650 on the blade and I still can’t figure out what the mystery steel is. I stopped using it when it became dull because for whatever reason three people including my self attempted to sharpen it and were unable to do so successfully. Other than that it did well for me but I can’t say it was anything special.

I also carried a Kershaw Blackout for about 6 years (still knowing nothing about knives) and I really liked it, I used it a lot and eventually the spring became weak and it would not open properly. I’m sure Kershaw would have fixed this issue but I never bothered with it. I still enjoy Kershaw knives to this day. (maybe I should send that Blackout in after all :rolleyes: )
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:56 pm
Cowboyfromhell wrote:
What knife was it that you carried for 10 years? How did you like it (pros / cons)

I carried a Gerber Gator starting at the age of 15 or so for about 4 or 5 years :eek: before I knew anything about knives. It was marked 650 on the blade and I still can’t figure out what the mystery steel is. I stopped using it when it became dull because for whatever reason three people including my self attempted to sharpen it and were unable to do so successfully. Other than that it did well for me.

I don't know how old your knife is, but my Gerber Gator is 420HC.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:55 pm
I've got 16 great Spyderco knives, and 12 of them that I rotate as edc knives. Sadly, I have a difficult time carrying the same knife for more than 2 days at a time because of the variety I have. I always tell myself to carry the same knife for a week straight, then another the following week, etc...but I never end up doing it :o

Yeah, I've tried that too. I made it for a couple weeks, then just kind of quit. :rolleyes: :D
- Connor

SG89

Post by SG89 »

A lil native comp lock ever since they were released, first the satin then the DLC. Bury me with this knife I say. It's the one in my avatar.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:09 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Cowboyfromhell wrote:

I carried a Gerber Gator starting at the age of 15 or so for about 4 or 5 years :eek: before I knew anything about knives. It was marked 650 on the blade and I still can’t figure out what the mystery steel is. I stopped using it when it became dull because for whatever reason three people including my self attempted to sharpen it and were unable to do so successfully. Other than that it did well for me.

I was gifted mine in about 1991 when did you get yours?
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think ever more than a couple years unless you count an old Gerber EAB that I think I carried for about 5. I also have a cheap tap-open style box knife I got at a job back in 2000 that still gets used and was a daily carry for a good 15 years.

I think the longest I've carried a Spyderco without rotating is about 18 months.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I carried a kershaw clash and amazingly never lost it or broke it. Even as a painting contractor I always resisted the urge to pry open the paint cans with the tip. Once happened to me when I was 13, I snapped the tip off my best knife at the time-- buck xlti folder circa 1992---I was heartbroken and swore I would never buy another knife to collect. Fast forward 27yrs and WHAM!! All of a sudden this new found love and appreciation for folders. I gave my 15 yr old daughter my 10 year old kershaw and bought a USA made kershaw leek blackwash on the spot! This quickly led to a spyderco pm2 s30v bk g10, then a blurple s110v PM2, then para3 digicam dlc, plus 4 more spyderco just this week alone!!
Last edited by Cowboyfromhell on Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Currently, I have a number of knives that I keep in rotation, carrying each one for undetermined amount of time. Sometimes I'll switch after a day, sometimes a few weeks. I'm definitely not consistent about it. If anything I carry could be considered "consistent" it would be the Squarehead and Lil Native.

Before my collection was what it is today, I carried the Spyderco Cat exclusively for a little over two years straight. Ended up losing it, but intend on replacing it eventually.
Thats the longest I've carried any one knife consistently.
-Nick :bug-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:18 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:09 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Cowboyfromhell wrote:

I was gifted mine in about 1991 when did you get yours?

Oh, just a year or two ago. It's the fixed blade version. Nice knife.
- Connor

p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I recently sold off a few knives, and I haven't really bought anything else. I carry a Sage 2. I love it. I have a few other knives that are not legal to carry where I live, but they have sentimental value. I won't ever sell them, but they also won't get carried a lot. I don't think I'll be adding another knife to the rotation anytime soon. I've been tempted, but I think I am good.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

When I first got into Spydercos after a long unsuccessful flirtation with other brands, I think I always had a Delica and a Dragonfly on me. Afterwards I had a haphazard “rotation” but always one Spyderco or another.

Lately, I usually have two Spydercos but one is always the Ikuchi.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've carried certain designs exclusively for 5+ years. Pacific Salt, Police 3 and Military.

These days I carry a Police 4 most days, and a Pacific Salt when I want a rust proof knife or want the lighter weight.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i carried a sog flash ii for seven years. it was perfectly adequate, but the clip was always catching on things and pulling from my pocket. i would lose if for a week and find it hanging from my seatbelt or a backpack strap. i must’ve lost that knife a hundred times and each time i hoped it was gone so i could justify an upgrade. finally, my wife bought me a zt0350, which was a far more robust knife. it’s awesome and built like a tank. i carried it for a couple years and then got something cheaper and thinner, the kershaw thermite. junk. i moved on to the esee zancudo for a while. that is a great knife. i still love it (and the avispa) even though i almost never carry them.
when i found out i was moving to hawaii, i bought a pacific salt. it was my reintroduction to spyderco. i still buy other brands occasionally, but my spyderco knives rule my edc. my favorites are the pacific salt, manix 2, yojimbo 2, and native salt. if i could comfortably carry all four daily, i would. its so hard to choose each day, but the pacific salt is the most often carried and always paired with one of the others listed.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:55 pm
I recently sold off a few knives, and I haven't really bought anything else. I carry a Sage 2. I love it. I have a few other knives that are not legal to carry where I live, but they have sentimental value. I won't ever sell them, but they also won't get carried a lot. I don't think I'll be adding another knife to the rotation anytime soon. I've been tempted, but I think I am good.
I've been carrying a Sage 2, almost exclusively, since I got one just after they after they were discontinued. It's pushed everything else out of my pocket. However, I am probably going to get a Para 3 LW to try to replace it, just because I don't want to risk losing Sage 2, and I'm not sure I can (want to) wait for the Sage 5 LW.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

2 -3 years for me. but i will be carrying one longer very soon. i have a para 3 first run and it will be the longest i have carried continuous.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

The Byrd Cara Cara 2 was probably my most carried knife. After discovering and following all the various forums in late 2011, the Cara Cara 2 was my first purchase. Before that, I had carried Gerber's, Winchesters, etc.

Since purchasing the Byrd, I have tried alot of other knives but always gravitated back to Spyderco designs. I've only had a few: Cara Cara 2 lw, Byrd Rescue 2, Meadowlark 2 lw, Tenacious, Delica Gen 1, Dragonfly 2 lw, Native 5 lw (later gifted to my wife after losing her Meadowlark), and my current carry, the Cutlery Shop exclusive Endura.

I don't "rotate" knives, I'm just always on the hunt for the perfect edc system.