Consistent edc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Re: Consistent edc

Post by anycal »

Bought the Gerber Covert in 1994 or 95. Used until 2015, rotated occasionally with Case slipjoints, which I kept loosing or getting confiscated at the airport (happened 3 times).

These days, it would be the PM2. I have a bunch of them, so perhaps that is not fair. Of the other :spyder: , it is the Native 5 G10 M4. I probably had that knife on me for 3 months when I first got it, every day. Of course it was supplemented by others in that period. I am not a barbarian!

Peter
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Carried either a medium or large Old Timer Stockman from 7 years old through into my early/mid twenties. Not always the same exact one because I lost quite a few as a kid but they were pretty much the only knives I carried during that time. It was what both my father and grandfather carried so I did too. I carried a knife everyday even as a kid and even at school. It wasn't a big deal then.

At some point in my early/mid twenties a friend gifted me a Benchmade 3550 which I carried everyday for about ten years. I also picked up a first generation Leatherman Wave which saw tons of carry time during those ten years too. I had always liked knives but they were not a hobby then. After carrying it for all those years my friend showed an interest in that knife so I gifted it back to him. I then needed a new knife so I picked up a Para2 and a Delica4. The rest is history. Now I am a hoarder.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

As knife technology moves forward I try to always remind myself that for almost twenty years I got by with a Western fixed blade, a Buck 110, a couple stockmen and a pile of SAKs. I though I was a knife enthusiast then! Between modern technology and the internet things have really escalated! That said, if all I still had was those knives of my youth (which I still have) I would be getting by just fine.

BTW, where is my Maxamet Military? :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

I had a Benchmade Panther and Spyderco Ladybug I carried for somewhere around 10+ years back in the 90's. Now a days I have several Delica and PM3 models that end up in my pocket each day.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My Endura 4 and Delica 4 usually team up with my Rebar at work, or a SAK anywhere else.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I rotate my edc knife pretty frequently and based on various factors, including carry environment, intended use, etc. I enjoy the variety that comes with different models, steels, handle materials, etc.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:25 am
I rotate my edc knife pretty frequently and based on various factors, including carry environment, intended use, etc. I enjoy the variety that comes with different models, steels, handle materials, etc.
I just realized that I didn't actually answer the OP's question..

The longest I've ever carried the same knife for was about 6-7 years. It was a Gerber FAST Mini. There was some of college and a stint working as a counselor in a group home during this period of my life.. the knife was tiny and very discreet in those environments. I still have it. I take it out every now and then and it really makes me appreciate my Spydies!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Been carrying a spyderhawk SE H1 since it was released. Carried my rit dyed black one for years until I replaced it with the new orange model. Also been carrying my native 5 LW since about 2015. I rotate other knives into the carry but those 2 are pretty constant. Especially the Spyderhawk. I take that thing everywhere I can carry a knife legally. Even if I'm just lounging around the house it'll be clipped to my side. I recently started carrying a SAK of some form because of the utility and small package. Never got around to edcing a real multi tool for long.

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on what you mean by "a certain knife". Come August, I'll have had the same Spyderco burgundy Micarta Jester on my key ring for 16 years. Come June, there will have been a Spyderco Kiwi in my watch pocket for 16 years but, on any given day, it may be any one of more the that 60 that I own and carry. As for a larger folder, it's been "mostly" one Spyderco Stretch or another since it first came out in late 2004, but there have been times I've carried something else and there are currently days, like yesterday, when I have to carry something smaller to comply with a nearby city's laws.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

During 1969-2010, I carried a SAK multitool consistently, maybe two or three models over the duration.

Since 2011, I have carried a Spydie (or three) inconsistently, meaning I grab whichever one (or three) in my steadily-growing collection happens to strike my fancy.

Some days, I choose big, others small. Some days, I want stainless, other days patina. Some days, I need edge-retention, others toughness. Some days, I gather different designs or steels and apply them to the same task to learn their differences.

Such is the rhyme and reason of my Spyderco habit.

But some SAK is never far out of reach.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
AshK

Post by AshK »

Good question! On reflection, I've mostly carried Spydercos over the years. I carried an original Police model for about three years before I wore out the lock with way too many aggressive openings. Lesson learned! It was replaced with an original fully serrated Endura, which I carried for about five years (and I still have it to this day - it's still sharp and rock solid, albeit a bit beaten up).

The Endura was replaced with a MeerKat when I moved to a country that wasn't big on knives like the Endura. I carried that little gem pretty much daily from 2005 to 2014. It's also still going strong.

My current main EDC is a Manix 2, which will be on rotation with the Yojimbo 2 that just arrived.
VG10

Post by VG10 »

Serrated Ladybug for nearly 5 years. Bought lots of other cool Spydercos, but the bug was so small, I'd carry that, too.
Lozoot

Post by Lozoot »

I carried a small kershaw scallion for years (5+) before I really started to learn more about knives. At the time, I thought the assist was an indicator of a high end knife haha.

Now I have about 13 spydercos and I typically rotate around seven of them for every day use.
Current Favourites: Kapara, Sage 5, Drunken, Chaparral G10/CF
Up Next: Fluted CF/S90V Native 5
Wish List: CF Lil Native