H1 Edge Test

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: H1 Edge Test

Post by Bloke »

In my experience PE H1 seems to performs best with a coarse edge.

I’ve used my Tasman PE HB for quite a while now gilling and cleaning fish with an edge straight off SharpMaker diamond rods, no micro bevel and find (when I remember to) it responds well to stropping on stiff leather and chrome oxide. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:51 am

I’ve used my Tasman PE HB for quite a while now gilling and cleaning fish with an edge straight off SharpMaker diamond rods, no micro bevel and find (when I remember to) it responds well to stropping on stiff leather and chrome oxide. :)
I'll second that.

It seems PE H1 gets a smooth and glassy feeling edge after slicing abrasive materials. It will still push cut ok, but will lose that slicing aggression pretty quick with a polished edge.

Experimenting with different grit finishes on PE H1 is what led me to preferring lower grit edges for my EDC's. Before that I'd always go with a high polish. Seems to me that running H1 at those lower grits and giving it some micro teeth helps prevent it from losing slicing aggression so quick.
:unicorn
loamy47

Post by loamy47 »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:14 pm
Bloke wrote:

I'll second that.

It seems PE H1 gets a smooth and glassy feeling edge after slicing abrasive materials. It will still push cut ok, but will lose that slicing aggression pretty quick with a polished edge.

Experimenting with different grit finishes on PE H1 is what led me to preferring lower grit edges for my EDC's. Before that I'd always go with a high polish. Seems to me that running H1 at those lower grits and giving it some micro teeth helps prevent it from losing slicing aggression so quick.
Interesting... Maybe when I need to sharpen this knife I'll keep this thread going and compare how it does with a more toothy edge compared to the polished edge it has now.
loamy47

Post by loamy47 »

Update: So far from yesterday and today, I carved some more, cut up some packages, and stripped some wire. While the edge is still sharp, it is indeed getting that "glassy" feeling, losing its aggression, but still very sharp. It almost feels better at cutting things like paper or those blister packages, but for anything that is thicker than that, it doesn't have the aggression to really bite into it anymore. I've never really felt an edge like this, it usually seems to be the other way around where a knife can saw through cardboard and the like, but can't make a delicate and effortless cut through thin plastic or paper.

Next time I sharpen it, I'll definitely be putting a more coarse edge on it, if only to see how it compares.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Just got my very first h1 ...pe dragonfly. I like the dragonfly for just having a knife that is not bulky, you forget its there, especially good when cycling or hiking or otherwise outside in lightweight shorts or slacks where a big heavy knife would be noticeable. Got the h1 version after having the vg10 because I heard all about how it won't rust, even in sweaty shorts or a cycling jersey pocket, and also when I do go to the beach, it'd be nice!
Sadly went back to my pm2 today, (hey it's cool too) but intend to edc the dragonfly in h1 daily until I can afford a full size salt 2 or whatnot. i'll let you know how it goes. Have to cut a lot of cardboard and packing straps at work sometimes. FYI, it came shaving sharp out of the box!
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:59 pm
FYI, it came shaving sharp out of the box!
loamy47

Post by loamy47 »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Just got my very first h1 ...pe dragonfly. I like the dragonfly for just having a knife that is not bulky, you forget its there, especially good when cycling or hiking or otherwise outside in lightweight shorts or slacks where a big heavy knife would be noticeable. Got the h1 version after having the vg10 because I heard all about how it won't rust, even in sweaty shorts or a cycling jersey pocket, and also when I do go to the beach, it'd be nice!
Sadly went back to my pm2 today, (hey it's cool too) but intend to edc the dragonfly in h1 daily until I can afford a full size salt 2 or whatnot. i'll let you know how it goes. Have to cut a lot of cardboard and packing straps at work sometimes. FYI, it came shaving sharp out of the box!
Welcome to the thread! It'll be nice to have someone else's input on how it's going too! I'm excited to see how it goes for you and how your experience differs from mine.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Edge retention on my PE salt is not that great

But it’s still the knife I carry almost everyday for the past 5 years because of everything that Evil mentioned above
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:10 pm
lonerider1013 wrote:
FYI, it came shaving sharp out of the box!
Hahahaha....crap beer came out my nose.
The reason its funny.... well if you're a cyclist you know why its funny!

You can always be counted to make one smile! Thank you!
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I'll let you know. So far it's only been used to cut packing straps and open food wrappers. The packing straps sometimes give boxcutters trouble but never a spyderco. This one was no exception.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:30 pm
Hahahaha....
Avid cyclist ... :p
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I also use a coarse edge on my PE H1 knives. Usually just use the DMT black/extra coarse and call it a day.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:

Do you think a coarse stone is best, or is a medium better?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:43 am
Bloke wrote:

Do you think a coarse stone is best, or is a medium better?
Hey Doc, I'd be lying if I were to say which is best as I simply don't know and I haven't experimented.

That said, the knife performs much better than I had expected (sharpened as above). It cuts aggressively and seems to hold it's edge surprisingly well. :cool:

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :)
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Just got my Salt 2! Watching "the abyss" to celebrate this awesome water knife lol (hey it was that or waterworld...)
Only used it a few times so far but one thing I noticed is the entire blade is curved even by the pivot, it's like there is no flat its all belly. Pretty cool!
Lonerider
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

So, after some days carrying / using the H1...(salt 2 and dragonfly tho these comments apply mostly to the salt 2)
It stays sharp pretty well enough to cut most things but loses a degree of sharpness with use. I noticed that after opening boxes etc it wasn't "as sharp" as before. Today I had to cut some overhanging thorn bushes on a bike ride so they wouldn't wack me next time I rode there and the hard skin on the plant was tough to cut it wouldn't bit at first. When I got home tested it on paper, it was dull enough to notice the difference but it still cut things like cardboard. But... I ran it lightly over some ceramic (the bottom of a mug) and it was like stropping it, it went back to shaving sharp.
The only other big note is that although it may not rust, it does seem to show wear, there are visible striations on the blade from slicing through things sundry and various.
Overall though I am very happy with it so far, my only complaint about the salt 2 (this doesn't apply to the dragonfly for some reason)is the action is a little stiff, perhaps this is because it lacks washers?
One interesting note is the blade of the salt 2 has no true flat, it curves at both ends like the rocker on a rocking chair. Also tho the sheepsfoot/off center point makes it difficult to poke something accidentally, it is very easy to deliberately use it, which means you get the safety benefit of the lack of a traditional point while maintaining a very functional point nevertheless. Also because the point is in line with the front edge you get as similar functionality to as wharncliffe in terms of point or tip cutting (ironic as a wharncliffe is all flat edge and this is all curved).
Only other observation is the clip feels different, maybe it is a different material than the standard Delicas?
Very happy with it, though, and like the orange, the yellow is friendly and easy to see in low light.

Lonerider
vivi

Post by vivi »

I believe salts use Ti clips and regular Spydercos use steel.
:unicorn