Hello from Croatia!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pantagana23

Hello from Croatia!

Post by pantagana23 »

Hello guys,

As I can't seem to find a subforum for starters, I might as well say hello here.

If I missed it, please move the topic.

Anyway, electronics engineer from Croatia here, and my knife collection started years ago with Police (I believe I've seen it in Die Hard back then :D ).

Next was Salt I, as I needed someting smaller and more EDC friendly, plus I live and work in marine conditions (Police got rust just standing in the closet). Well, after this you can see the rest of my small collection.

Even though I hate these knives for being extremely wide, it's opening holes and complete design is just so user friendly that somehow I always come back to it.

Currently EDC-ing Dragonfly, and dreaming of a blue M390 version coming soon from Sal :D

Will lurk a bit more, and try to contribute where I can.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Hello from Croatia!

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome to the forum!

You have got a nice collection going. How do you like that Native Salt? I've been tempted to buy one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hi pantagana! Welcome to the forum!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Hi Pantagana23. Welcome to the forum!

You've chosen some great knives there!
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum!

One or two of my Spydercos on each trip and me ;) have been to your beautiful home country quite a few times (I live in Austria, so somewhat close). Especially liked hiking and mountaineering in the Northern Velebit national park (so I am NOT another one of those Austrian tourists who are just crowding your beaches the whole day long in summer... :D )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pantagana,

Welcome to our forum. Hope you enjoy your time here.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hello!
anycal

Post by anycal »

Hello there. Nice collection.

Been to that neck of the woods when it was still Yugoslavia, camping at Rjeka and Split bunch of summers as a kid. My brother has a place on Vis.
Peter
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

[Waves hello from the US west coast]
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Welcome to the forum. I really love Croatia. It's our (my wife and I) favorite vacation spot. Beautiful country!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Welcome!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Welcome new Spyder Friend :spyder: ! Nice collection!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Crux

Post by Crux »

Croatia, home of the Springfield Armory's XD/XDs series handguns. Welcome to the forum.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Hi pantagana
You'll have to tell us what you think of each model!
If you feel like some of these models are occupying too much pocket space (i actually find mine to be quite accommodating) than i might suggest a chapparral. It's so thin it'll vanish in your pocket)
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:43 am
Welcome to the forum!

You have got a nice collection going. How do you like that Native Salt? I've been tempted to buy one.
Hello Dan,

I don't know how you carry your knives, but my usualy carry pocket is back left (lefty here :D ), so the knife is just a bit too thick.
Compared with Salt 1, which was my go-to before, it's 30% thicker, and has square angles on the handle.
As for characteristics, can't tell you much, as I haven't used it for anything else but opening boxes or letters so far.
Design wise, IMO it's 3 steps ahead of Salt.

One thing to consider: even though, when looking at tests, it gets really good retention results, a couple of days back I noticed a bent tip when I took it out of pocket. So far, the only steel which I found with bent tip was 420, so I have mixed feelings now. When you look at corrosion resistance, all soft steels get great results, but bend, instead of chip. Then I'm wondering how did they get such good edge retention results (talking about Cedric&Ada tests on YT).

Anyway, it's my go-to knife when going to sea trials or similar, for EDC I'm currently using Dragonfly because of a much slimmer line.

Just a suggestion: if you're going to get it, buy a deep carry clip.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Marulaghost wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:29 pm
Hi pantagana
You'll have to tell us what you think of each model!
If you feel like some of these models are occupying too much pocket space (i actually find mine to be quite accommodating) than i might suggest a chapparral. It's so thin it'll vanish in your pocket)
Well, since you asked:
Police - huuuuge knife. I believe I carried it only twice in pocket. In Croatia, when you take out a 4 inch blade out of your pocket, you're either a killer or a criminal, plus this was a first gen which couldn't switch clip to the other side so it's looking pretty in my closet now :D
Salt 1 - my all-around knife. Carried it for almost a year and a half without even thinking of buying something else. There was something about that feeling that I don't care if it will be dropped in the sea, motor oil, or sweaty hands because I know it won't rust. Cut everything from newspapers to half inch cables with it. Love the oversized spyderhole.
Native - successor to Salt. Will see how it holds up. It's getting a bit less pocket time because it's wider than Salt, so I feel it in back pocket. Not much use so far.
PIngo - my better half got me this one, after I subtly commented that it was only 30 dollars on ebay but will not buy a knife because I already have a bunch :D Cool little knife, but a bit awkward to open knives with two hands when you get used to opening and closing with just one.
Dragonfly - current office EDC. Not looking like a redneck when I use it, and can do most tasks.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Welcome :D
You've gathered up quite the starting collection there!
pantagana23 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:01 pm
Even though I hate these knives for being extremely wide, it's opening holes and complete design is just so user friendly that somehow I always come back to it.
There are quite a few of models with a more narrow profile and I'm sure many of us have a few good recommendations!
Is there anything you need in such a knife?
Does it need to be H1/LC200N?
Certain blade shape/length you want it in?
Grind and lock type preferences?

Enjoy your stay here! :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Dobrodošli. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome, bro, and I really like your Dragonfly scales. Is that just the green G10 one? In the pic I see lines. Probably just the pixilation or something. You'll get used to the blade widths after a while. Now that I use Spyderco, all other brands feel weird to me.
- best wishes, Jazz.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049