About that Smock blade cutout thingy..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

About that Smock blade cutout thingy..

Post by Evil D »

I wonder if that could be sharpened into one big serration?

🤔

I'm not sure I could live with the handle but at least that part of the blade would still cut. Someone make this happen.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paulwa

Re: About that Smock blade cutout thingy..

Post by paulwa »

Gonna have to second this one, that “integral gut-hook” would be awesome (though maybe not too practical).

If I had the skills, I’d do something similar to an extra/old Ouroboros I have... don’t think I’d risk it on a new Smock.

Cool idea, D,
- Paul
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

That would work if you are going for a real finger cutter.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Looking at it, should be possible but the heel of the blade would end up very fragile. Also the choil is very useable despite concerns. Personally I avoid cutting with that portion of blades on knives that are sharpened all the way back anyway, hate getting crud in my pivots.

Somewhat related, I was able to turn a Spey blade on this Roughrider into a guthook/clamshell package opener with a bit of a spatula thingy. Making the choil into a “Veff” serration shouldn’t be any harder than that.
8D25A930-4B35-466B-B832-72C55F04205A.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
ferider

Post by ferider »

Ouch. I cringed thinking about it (as I do use the choil).

But should be possible, even DIY with some basic equipment ... it's quite thin already.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

spyderg wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Somewhat related, I was able to turn a Spey blade on this Roughrider into a guthook/clamshell package opener with a bit of a spatula thingy. Making the choil into a “Veff” serration shouldn’t be any harder than that.8D25A930-4B35-466B-B832-72C55F04205A.jpeg
That is really cool ^
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:16 pm
spyderg wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Somewhat related, I was able to turn a Spey blade on this Roughrider into a guthook/clamshell package opener with a bit of a spatula thingy. Making the choil into a “Veff” serration shouldn’t be any harder than that.8D25A930-4B35-466B-B832-72C55F04205A.jpeg
That is really cool ^
Thnx! Originally my plan was to turn the Spey into an awl but when I got it, I realized it wasn’t going to work with the position of the nail nick and the height it sat at so I came up with this instead. It works great. I just couldn’t see much use in a third blade, the knife has a clip main, and a sheepsfoot so the spey, for me, was useless. But I had to have the knife cause it’s got a caplifter too!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?