Sage 5 tightness

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Atsoca

Sage 5 tightness

Post by Atsoca »

Hey guys,
Just got my sage 5 great knife but it's soooo tight
I tried adusting the pivot and a little lube on the pivot. No good...and the compression lock actually hurts my finger...I've been trying to break it in for 5 days now.
See there any tips or tricks? Or should I just send it in for service?...I don't have the box so I'm not sure if there factory would have a problem with it.
What do you guys suggest?
Thanks
dplafoll

Re: Sage 5 tightness

Post by dplafoll »

If you're comfortable doing so, and very careful, I would watch a disassembly video and take the knife apart for a good cleaning. Mine certainly benefited from doing so. Just remember, you don't automatically void the warranty by disassembling it, but you do if you damage it in the process.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I once had a PM2 that had tremendous lock stick. It too hurt my finger to disengage the compression lock. I ended up taking it back to the retailer and getting another one.
Lozoot

Post by Lozoot »

I had the same issue with mine when I received it a couple months ago. It definitely helped to take the whole knife apart and give everything a good cleaning and oiling. After that it took A LOT of adjustments to the pivot before it had an action that I was happy with, but it got there. The detent is still maybe a bit soft, but I can flip it open no problem and it now drops shut (am carrying my Sage today actually!)

Good luck!
Current Favourites: Kapara, Sage 5, Drunken, Chaparral G10/CF
Up Next: Fluted CF/S90V Native 5
Wish List: CF Lil Native
Atsoca

Post by Atsoca »

Just found the box for my sage 5 and decided to return it to Amazon... Hope the replacement is better.... We will see
Atsoca

Post by Atsoca »

New Sage 5 showed up today and it's a bit better...gonna tighten the pivot and work it in for a few hours and see how it goes.
I'm guessing that they are just tight and not as floppy.as my.pm.or.manix
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

My sage 5 doesn't drop shut like my para 3. But it is smooth, and will shut if I flick it a little. I haven't opened it up to clean it/polish washers or anything yet, but I probably need to. If I can get it to drop shut with no blade play like my p3 I'd be exstatic! But if I have to flick it I don't mind, because it's just so smooth!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Lozoot

Post by Lozoot »

Atsoca wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:36 pm
New Sage 5 showed up today and it's a bit better...gonna tighten the pivot and work it in for a few hours and see how it goes.
I'm guessing that they are just tight and not as floppy.as my.pm.or.manix
I have found that with mine - definitely not as fall-shutty as my para 3 or PM2, even after extensive cleaning and adjusting.
Current Favourites: Kapara, Sage 5, Drunken, Chaparral G10/CF
Up Next: Fluted CF/S90V Native 5
Wish List: CF Lil Native