What's your favorite Spyderco that's a little bit of a "hidden gem?"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flasharry

Re: What's your favorite Spyderco that's a little bit of a "hidden gem?"

Post by flasharry »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:09 pm
I might be the only one, but I regularly carry the Des Horn. Light and elegant, but that Wharncliffe blade does the job.
same here...
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I think the Chap LW for me. Not nearly as well known to people outside the Spyderco crowd compared to the Golden made models, Salts, Delica/Endura/Dfly and Tenacious.

But this is the smoothest Spyderco knife I have ever owned (out of probably close to a hundred that have come and gone) and the design is just perfect. Wafer thin, perfect blade shape, thin little slicey blade. The lockbar "issue" some people complain about is not that big of a deal. It did feel a little stiff at first compared to my Natives, but it became softer very quickly through use. It doesnt hurt my thumbs to depress at all. The FRN texturing is my favorite of all the FRN models. I can't wait for the Sage LW, and I really hope to see a murdered out black/black LC200N Salt version of both of these knives!

If you asked what is one knife every person should own. The Chap LW would be it.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:01 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:47 pm
Unfortunately some fine gentleman acquired it from me surreptitiously and without my authorization at a bar one night, but I had a little stainless Jester CE that was so handy. The perfect box opener. I'm tempted to snag one of the G-10 sprints to replace it but I procrastinate. That's one we don't hear about too much, right? Lol

P.s. Now that I think about it, that was my very first Spyderco! Poor little Jester...
I would recommend against the G10 Jester. It is not a bad knife, but after owning it and an SE FRN version, there is no competition. The difference between SE and PE on that small of a knife is magnified. SE turns it into a destroyer of worlds, where as PE is somewhat lackluster.

I usually prefer PE, just not this one.
wrdwrght wrote: Pretty much unheralded here, except by a few, but hiding in plain sight, the Caribbean.
Best knife Spyderco makes!

Now, what is my favorite hidden gem?

The Baby Horn, hands down.
Oh wow, I actually wasn't aware that it was plain edge, guess I didn't look at it very closely lol. So how were the G-10 scales size/carry/use wise, were they awkward or ungainly in any way?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Urban K390, Mantra, Advocate
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

I'll second the Rhino, been using mine about 1.5 weeks and it has impressed me heartily. Light, low-profile, distinct style, I like the clip (middle depth, not as shallow as many), incredibly smooth and well-made, and I can easily go between 3 and 4 full finger grip. It is my go to itty bitty.

Also give a shout-out to the Brouwer, it gets a lot of dirty looks for the mediocre clip, but the rest of the package is awesome. I put in the same running as the Native series (humpless), it splits the size difference between the 5 and the Lil', slim blade stock, great egros and classy has ****. Go-to mid-size, all rounder, gents/urban/tougher-than-it looks.

Not sure the Gayle Bradley 2 is hidden, but it's a beat-down all-star for me.

youmakemehole wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:04 pm
► Show Spoiler
^^^Especially if you have recently discovered that your most practical EDC blade style is a small/slim trailing point such as the one found on the Ikuchi. Not sure why there are so many fans of the Ikuchi but not for this lovable little guy? It is almost the same except it has a thicker more robust blade with better steel, and size/ergos that are near perfect for EDC. Is it because it isn't as pretty and has that horrendous stock clip? Literally you take teh Ikuchi, make it smaller more tough more practical and more ergo and you'd get:
► Show Spoiler
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:43 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:01 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:47 pm
Unfortunately some fine gentleman acquired it from me surreptitiously and without my authorization at a bar one night, but I had a little stainless Jester CE that was so handy. The perfect box opener. I'm tempted to snag one of the G-10 sprints to replace it but I procrastinate. That's one we don't hear about too much, right? Lol

P.s. Now that I think about it, that was my very first Spyderco! Poor little Jester...
I would recommend against the G10 Jester. It is not a bad knife, but after owning it and an SE FRN version, there is no competition. The difference between SE and PE on that small of a knife is magnified. SE turns it into a destroyer of worlds, where as PE is somewhat lackluster.

I usually prefer PE, just not this one.
wrdwrght wrote: Pretty much unheralded here, except by a few, but hiding in plain sight, the Caribbean.
Best knife Spyderco makes!

Now, what is my favorite hidden gem?

The Baby Horn, hands down.
Oh wow, I actually wasn't aware that it was plain edge, guess I didn't look at it very closely lol. So how were the G-10 scales size/carry/use wise, were they awkward or ungainly in any way?
It was a bit thicker, the weight was a non-issue. I found it slightly harder to get out of my coin pocket, combination of the g10 and the extra thickness. The main issue was the PE, it just wasn't right with that blade shape. On a Ladybug, you have a sharp point to start the cuts. With the Jester I start with the belly.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Super Leaf
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Rook'

kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I usually carry 2 knives. The Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189, in my watch pocket and a 3” or larger in the right front or rear pocket. The Dragonfly already has some mentions in the thread so I will pick another watch pocket knife. Since I carry 2 I will pick 2 gems, 1 small, 1 large. The Chaparral in Raffir Noble, and the Superleaf. If the Superleaf ever gets a 2 version, or a sprint in a steel I like I will buy one immediately. The Chaparral is awesome and the CTS XHP steel is underrated.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:24 am
I think the Chap LW for me.
I was going to say that, but then decided it wasn't really a hidden gem. More of just a gem.
PStone

Post by PStone »

For me it’s the Wolfspyder. A very tough little knife. :spyder:
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Amalgam
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

21B5F2F3-B661-4DAD-9484-76DCA49690D6.jpeg
My Vesuvius :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Has to be the Massad Ayoob for me. No bout adoudit... :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

HELP!!! What is this knife? I really dig that blade!
5-by-5 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:01 pm
Rook'

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:01 pm
HELP!!! What is this knife? I really dig that blade!
5-by-5 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:01 pm
Rook'

Rookie, basically a mini Police. I want to see a sprint in dark blue, ffg K390!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Honestly, I haven't found a Spydie yet that I don't really enjoy for one reason or another.. but as far as "hidden gems" go.. I'd say the Brouwer, the Wolfspyder, and most recently, the Lil Temperance 3. Absolutely fantastic knives, each of them.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
PStone

Post by PStone »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:22 am
Honestly, I haven't found a Spydie yet that I don't really enjoy for one reason or another.. but as far as "hidden gems" go.. I'd say the Brouwer, the Wolfspyder, and most recently, the Lil Temperance 3. Absolutely fantastic knives, each of them.
Wolfspyder got my #1 vote. I recently discovered the LilTemp3, and totally agree with you. Absolutely fantastic. Definitely gets the #2 “gem” spot of my collection. You’re also making me go look at Brouwers now. If you’re grouping it with these two, I’m pretty sure I will really dig it. My bday is in two weeks and that may be the one I get now. :spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think the G10 Manbug is a little gem. It looks classy and does the job it was designed to do very well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

There are plenty of these 'hidden gems' in Spyderco's history. Off the top of my head, the Temperance fixed blade.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram