Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which one/s is/are the best? Pick up to 2 choices!

Smock
27
29%
Ikuchi
36
39%
Turtles
29
32%
 
Total votes: 92

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 3162
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby steelcity16 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:01 pm

voted turtles...turtles are dope af
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:04 pm

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:01 pm
voted turtles...turtles are dope af
+1
:)

User avatar
youmakemehole
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:42 am

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby youmakemehole » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:30 pm

spyderg wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:48 pm

The lock is fantastic. Mine takes a little more force to disengage than my para2 (tension on the lock bar is a bit more) but is easier to press the button than digging a fingertip in so it ends up far easier to use. However I have never accidentally disengaged the lock on the Smock or my custom SK23. I’m a lefty by the way and my custom is lefty. Both work great in right or left hand.

As far as the choil is concerned I love it. The way I use it is middle finger tip in the choil, thumb at the Spydie hole and index over spine near the tip for precise cutting. Other than that I hold it with my index in the groove behind the pivot and thumb up on the jimping. That gives me plenty of control,( I am very confused as to why some folks say they are too far from the cutting edge like that? I guess maybe with tiny hands it’s a problem?). Anyways, back to the choil, I really like that the cutting edge is out and away from the pivot area, that way I don’t get crud in my pivot. The Smock has enough cutting edge for my edc tasks and enough handle for my lrg-xlrg hands.

I’m curious about the Ikuchi but the wire clip is too much a deterrent for me and as I mention it ends up a $300 knife if I get a clip that I can actually use so I’ll have to wait to satisfy that curiosity if I ever do.
Hey since you've brought up the fact you have the SK23 as well, would you mind also sharing any major differences between the two? Curious in particular to anything along the lines of perhaps any major character/design defining features of the SK23 that Spyderco might have mistakenly missed or gotten wrong, as well as on the other hand any improvements in the Smock over the SK that stood out to you? Just based off a brief glance from a while ago I think one thing I might've liked better on the SK was it's more proper flat-edged wharnecliffe blade.

As an owner of an Ikuchi, I can also tell you your fears are not unwarranted, I'd say especially with how it deploys, you may find your fingers squeezing on the wire clip more often and with more force than you typically would on any other folder. I've had to bend back my clip a few times already in the span of maybe just a month or so(I do fidget a lot with it though). I plan on getting one of those Ripps pocket clips pretty soon... and yeah they arent cheap either, they start somewhere between 2x-3x the price of a MXG/Casey Lynch clip. IMO its all going to be worth it though, if I had to do it all over again, I'd do the same thing. Unless you live somewhere with ridiculous shipping costs I think $300 is a bit of an exaggeration. The knife itself is $130 shipped if you live in the US and the clip is going to be about $65. The knife is seriously like borderline sorcery. You will likely have to fully experience it to understand...cliche i know.. but there just isn't anything like it that has ever existed and I really doubt there will be anything like it ever created again either. 2 biggest highlights for me are its EDC factor and blade. Almost surreal how light and slim it is and how well it carries, and the blade will poke and cut just about anything anywhere at whatever angle you please.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal

User avatar
spyderg
Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Middle of Canada

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby spyderg » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm

youmakemehole wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:30 pm
spyderg wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:48 pm

The lock is fantastic. Mine takes a little more force to disengage than my para2 (tension on the lock bar is a bit more) but is easier to press the button than digging a fingertip in so it ends up far easier to use. However I have never accidentally disengaged the lock on the Smock or my custom SK23. I’m a lefty by the way and my custom is lefty. Both work great in right or left hand.

As far as the choil is concerned I love it. The way I use it is middle finger tip in the choil, thumb at the Spydie hole and index over spine near the tip for precise cutting. Other than that I hold it with my index in the groove behind the pivot and thumb up on the jimping. That gives me plenty of control,( I am very confused as to why some folks say they are too far from the cutting edge like that? I guess maybe with tiny hands it’s a problem?). Anyways, back to the choil, I really like that the cutting edge is out and away from the pivot area, that way I don’t get crud in my pivot. The Smock has enough cutting edge for my edc tasks and enough handle for my lrg-xlrg hands.

I’m curious about the Ikuchi but the wire clip is too much a deterrent for me and as I mention it ends up a $300 knife if I get a clip that I can actually use so I’ll have to wait to satisfy that curiosity if I ever do.
Hey since you've brought up the fact you have the SK23 as well, would you mind also sharing any major differences between the two? Curious in particular to anything along the lines of perhaps any major character/design defining features of the SK23 that Spyderco might have mistakenly missed or gotten wrong, as well as on the other hand any improvements in the Smock over the SK that stood out to you? Just based off a brief glance from a while ago I think one thing I might've liked better on the SK was it's more proper flat-edged wharnecliffe blade.

As an owner of an Ikuchi, I can also tell you your fears are not unwarranted, I'd say especially with how it deploys, you may find your fingers squeezing on the wire clip more often and with more force than you typically would on any other folder. I've had to bend back my clip a few times already in the span of maybe just a month or so(I do fidget a lot with it though). I plan on getting one of those Ripps pocket clips pretty soon... and yeah they arent cheap either, they start somewhere between 2x-3x the price of a MXG/Casey Lynch clip. IMO its all going to be worth it though, if I had to do it all over again, I'd do the same thing. Unless you live somewhere with ridiculous shipping costs I think $300 is a bit of an exaggeration. The knife itself is $130 shipped if you live in the US and the clip is going to be about $65. The knife is seriously like borderline sorcery. You will likely have to fully experience it to understand...cliche i know.. but there just isn't anything like it that has ever existed and I really doubt there will be anything like it ever created again either. 2 biggest highlights for me are its EDC factor and blade. Almost surreal how light and slim it is and how well it carries, and the blade will poke and cut just about anything anywhere at whatever angle you please.
$300 is unfortunately not an exaggeration. Going price in Canada is $180, plus shipping and taxes puts it at $200. A Ripps clip after shipping and exchange,(assuming no duties or import fees) is $100.
I really like the design of it and if it came with a useable clip I’d grab one. Now I certainly see why they used the wire clip on the knife, it’s a good fit on the handle and discreet carry for a gentleman’s knife is the way to go but I simply can’t use em, I’ve got thick calloused hands but wire clips hurt. Also they move around and bend on me.

I love me a nice wharncliffe but I’m very happy with the blade shape on the Smock, to be honest it’s more useful for me. I think the Smock is the perfect combination of Kevin’s two folders, SK23 and SK45. The one thing that stands out to me is the Smock is a longer knife, but the SK is thicker so it evens out for carryability. Both feel great in hand, I’d say the Smock feels a little more locked in.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?

User avatar
MichaelScott
Member
Posts: 2700
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:42 am
Location: Southern Colorado

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby MichaelScott » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:45 pm

I like The Ikuchi’s wire Clip.
What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger. Except infantry. Infantry will kill you.

“Gentlemen, bring out your men.” — T. J. Jackson, Second Manassas, 1862

http://acehotel.blog

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:56 pm

I do too and have not experienced any of the things currently discussed as potential negatives concerning the wire clip.

I have said it before and will say it again the Ikuchi is a model that if you miss it now at an awesome low price it will be a secondary market price grab later you will kick yourself over for not getting now.

The design is extremely well thought out and gives more cutting power than is readily apparent.
:)

Cali HogHead
Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby Cali HogHead » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:08 pm

Owning both of them, I find it difficult to compare them. The first thing that caught my attention on the Smock that hadn't until I had it in hand, was the fact that the pivot area is very blocky when the blade is deployed. That's not something that can be remedied easily due to the flipper mechanism. It didn't change my opinion of the knife, I enjoy it tremendously.

The Ikuchi on the other hand, is sleekness embodied. It shoots out like a rocket with the slightest pressure on the flipper wheel. There is seemingly some production issues with the tip being just slightly too exposed, and others have a sharp flipper. My example can cut you if you run your finger with too much pressure by the tip while it's closed. My flipper wheel jimping is excellent though. Also, it's a bit of a task to disengage the comp lock as well.

All in all, both amazing and unique designs!

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:14 pm

Cali HogHead wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:08 pm
Owning both of them, I find it difficult to compare them. The first thing that caught my attention on the Smock that hadn't until I had it in hand, was the fact that the pivot area is very blocky when the blade is deployed. That's not something that can be remedied easily due to the flipper mechanism. It didn't change my opinion of the knife, I enjoy it tremendously.

The Ikuchi on the other hand, is sleekness embodied. It shoots out like a rocket with the slightest pressure on the flipper wheel. There is seemingly some production issues with the tip being just slightly too exposed, and others have a sharp flipper. My example can cut you if you run your finger with too much pressure by the tip while it's closed. My flipper wheel jimping is excellent though. Also, it's a bit of a task to disengage the comp lock as well.

All in all, both amazing and unique designs!
Exact experience with the Ikuchi here and firmly agree with your assessment of it.
:)

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 1111
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby koenigsegg » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:20 pm

Had a Smock but wasn't in love with the ergos or layout of the handle near the pocket clip. I personally wish the choil had more purchase like a PM2 or Urban and was more defined. I get that they're prob just copying the SK23(?) but that's my opinion on owning it. So I sold it and bought the Ikuchi.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:11 pm

koenigsegg wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:20 pm
Had a Smock but wasn't in love with the ergos or layout of the handle near the pocket clip. I personally wish the choil had more purchase like a PM2 or Urban and was more defined. I get that they're prob just copying the SK23(?) but that's my opinion on owning it. So I sold it and bought the Ikuchi.
Wow! Okay Smock is out of the purchase lineup, Thanks!
:)

User avatar
MichaelScott
Member
Posts: 2700
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:42 am
Location: Southern Colorado

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby MichaelScott » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:08 pm

koenigsegg wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:20 pm
I get that they're prob just copying the SK23(?) but that's my opinion on owning it.
It is not a copy. Spyderco made certain changes for their own reasons. As I said before, I will reserve judgement until I handle a Smock.
What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger. Except infantry. Infantry will kill you.

“Gentlemen, bring out your men.” — T. J. Jackson, Second Manassas, 1862

http://acehotel.blog

User avatar
youmakemehole
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:42 am

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby youmakemehole » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:06 am

spyderg wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm

$300 is unfortunately not an exaggeration. Going price in Canada is $180, plus shipping and taxes puts it at $200. A Ripps clip after shipping and exchange,(assuming no duties or import fees) is $100.
I really like the design of it and if it came with a useable clip I’d grab one. Now I certainly see why they used the wire clip on the knife, it’s a good fit on the handle and discreet carry for a gentleman’s knife is the way to go but I simply can’t use em, I’ve got thick calloused hands but wire clips hurt. Also they move around and bend on me.

I love me a nice wharncliffe but I’m very happy with the blade shape on the Smock, to be honest it’s more useful for me. I think the Smock is the perfect combination of Kevin’s two folders, SK23 and SK45. The one thing that stands out to me is the Smock is a longer knife, but the SK is thicker so it evens out for carryability. Both feel great in hand, I’d say the Smock feels a little more locked in.
Thats unfortunate... theres always the option of running it clipless, come to think of it the form factor on the Ikuchi would probably be real nice like that actually. Also, you can include international listings on ebay searches and have prices converted to CAD, I've done the opposite with some Canadian listings before and I was able to just pay the extra shipping on top of the discounted Canadian price.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal

User avatar
spyderg
Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Middle of Canada

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby spyderg » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:59 am

youmakemehole wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:06 am
spyderg wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm

$300 is unfortunately not an exaggeration. Going price in Canada is $180, plus shipping and taxes puts it at $200. A Ripps clip after shipping and exchange,(assuming no duties or import fees) is $100.
I really like the design of it and if it came with a useable clip I’d grab one. Now I certainly see why they used the wire clip on the knife, it’s a good fit on the handle and discreet carry for a gentleman’s knife is the way to go but I simply can’t use em, I’ve got thick calloused hands but wire clips hurt. Also they move around and bend on me.

I love me a nice wharncliffe but I’m very happy with the blade shape on the Smock, to be honest it’s more useful for me. I think the Smock is the perfect combination of Kevin’s two folders, SK23 and SK45. The one thing that stands out to me is the Smock is a longer knife, but the SK is thicker so it evens out for carryability. Both feel great in hand, I’d say the Smock feels a little more locked in.
Thats unfortunate... theres always the option of running it clipless, come to think of it the form factor on the Ikuchi would probably be real nice like that actually. Also, you can include international listings on ebay searches and have prices converted to CAD, I've done the opposite with some Canadian listings before and I was able to just pay the extra shipping on top of the discounted Canadian price.
I could probably do like I did for my Smock and order from DLT, I saved about $15 and got mine a couple weeks before they started popping up in Canada, but then I run the risk of getting tagged with big duty fees and it would end up costing even more.
I don’t see how I’d carry it clip-less. As compact as it is, it’s still too long to carry loose in pocket. I find as soon as a knife hits 4” closed, it won’t work loose in pocket. Also the only type I trust loose is a slipjoint or backlock with strong tension holding it closed.
Like I said, perhaps one day, maybe in trade or on the secondary but not full (Canadian)price. Plus I can’t get enough of the Smock anyway! Honestly it just works for me. All of the things folks seem to dislike are things that I love about it, the cf over g10, the clip position, the choil, the blocky section of the handle, the cutting edge being far from the handle, did I miss anything? The only thing I might change would be the steel, not that I have a problem with s30v but I want Cruwear everything!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?

kodai78
Member
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:14 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby kodai78 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:41 am

I voted Smock, ‘cause I haven’t bought an Ikuchi yet. This application of the compression lock is awesome. The Smock’s blade shape works well for every day cutting chores. I would prefer a black wire clip like the one on the Schempp Bowie. It has an excellent flipping action. Much better than the Positron. I would buy a second one in another stainless steel if it becomes available especially if the wire clip and full CF were included.
:spyder: Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santorum, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 8972
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby bearfacedkiller » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:00 am

If we were talking about the candy Turtles then it would be a no-brainer. Man, I love those things.

Neither knife appeals that much to me but both offer a new feature. The opening wheel on Ikuchi is super cool so I vote Ikuchi.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 1392
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:06 am

ferider wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:37 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:34 am
I did not have a closer look yet on how the release button of the comp. lock is constructed, but could it be that it REQUIRES some kind of choil, cause otherwise the infolded blade would collide with the release button mechanism?
It does. Not a drawback for us who like choils though, and it's not too sharp (for me at least) to use.

I like choils as they allow hard use of a knife (Pivot relief). In fact, in the ocean of available great flippers, choils are few and far in between. One of the reasons why I use Spydercos.

Roland.
I disagree. This design may require it, but the Autonomy 2 is a button lock and it has no choil.

Personally, I much prefer the Ikuchi(Turtles more than both).
The Smock is oogly.

User avatar
youmakemehole
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:42 am

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby youmakemehole » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:05 pm

spyderg wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:59 am
I could probably do like I did for my Smock and order from DLT, I saved about $15 and got mine a couple weeks before they started popping up in Canada, but then I run the risk of getting tagged with big duty fees and it would end up costing even more.
I don’t see how I’d carry it clip-less. As compact as it is, it’s still too long to carry loose in pocket. I find as soon as a knife hits 4” closed, it won’t work loose in pocket. Also the only type I trust loose is a slipjoint or backlock with strong tension holding it closed.
Like I said, perhaps one day, maybe in trade or on the secondary but not full (Canadian)price. Plus I can’t get enough of the Smock anyway! Honestly it just works for me. All of the things folks seem to dislike are things that I love about it, the cf over g10, the clip position, the choil, the blocky section of the handle, the cutting edge being far from the handle, did I miss anything? The only thing I might change would be the steel, not that I have a problem with s30v but I want Cruwear everything!
Right on, I say as far as folding knives go, just do what makes you happy nothing more nothing less! I personally carry 1 model around clipless and thats the Sage 2. I believe it's around the same size as the Ikuchi, just taller. I find that if the knife has a very smooth and consistent exterior when its folded, loose pocket carry isn't really that bad! Ikuchi would be even moreso than the Sage 2 for me. I dont think I'd enjoy carrying something like a PM3 or Autonomy 2 which would be opposite of what I'm describing, the jutting angles overall bumpiness would not be good for my pocket things and also not feel great on my hand when it reaches in there.

On a side note - LETS GO TEAM TURTLE!!! I will be taking away the change vote option later tonight guys so just a heads up for everyone here.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal

koenigsegg
Member
Posts: 1111
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby koenigsegg » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:26 pm

youmakemehole wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:06 am


theres always the option of running it clipless, come to think of it the form factor on the Ikuchi would probably be real nice like that actually.
Do you carry a compression lock knife loose in your pocket currently? Sounds scary to me, they seem to open up on me when I don't want them to
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390

User avatar
Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 5490
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby Spydergirl88 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Yeah I winced too
Team Wire Clip
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

JohnAPA
Member
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Postby JohnAPA » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:14 pm

That choil..........


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Accutron, Ankerson, bgcameron, Bing [Bot], blues, Doeswhateveraspidercan, Evil D, Google [Bot], grubetown, helix99, kirilpetkov, Majestic-12 [Bot], NickShabazz, Spydergirl88 and 32 guests