Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which one/s is/are the best? Pick up to 2 choices!

Smock
30%
Ikuchi
39%
Turtles
31%

Total votes: 97

ferider

Re: Vote: SMOCK v.s. IKUCHI

Post by ferider »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:34 am
I did not have a closer look yet on how the release button of the comp. lock is constructed, but could it be that it REQUIRES some kind of choil, cause otherwise the infolded blade would collide with the release button mechanism?
It does. Not a drawback for us who like choils though, and it's not too sharp (for me at least) to use.

I like choils as they allow hard use of a knife (Pivot relief). In fact, in the ocean of available great flippers, choils are few and far in between. One of the reasons why I use Spydercos.

Roland.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ferider wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:37 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:34 am
I did not have a closer look yet on how the release button of the comp. lock is constructed, but could it be that it REQUIRES some kind of choil, cause otherwise the infolded blade would collide with the release button mechanism?
It does. Not a drawback for us who like choils though, and it's not too sharp (for me at least) to use.

I like choils as they allow hard use of a knife (Pivot relief).

Roland.
I thought so, but never had a look at the actual construction, so thanks for the insight!

/ My personal "choil-journey" is a long and winded one... ;) I came from really liking Spyderco DESPITE their knives often feature pronounced finger choils (which I really DID NOT like at the time) to "choils don´t bother me too much" to now I like choils in many models (not in all though).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Correct. That choil is more so for the button lock, but can be used as a finger choil as well. Would be awesome if there was some way around it and have that much more available cutting edge! Regardless, it's still awesome :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:44 am
Correct. That choil is more so for the button lock, but can be used as a finger choil as well. Would be awesome if there was some way around it and have that much more available cutting edge! Regardless, it's still awesome :cool:
In that case I just have to ask you: Would you prefer the Smock coming with a "traditional" comp lock and in return a lot more cutting edge, or would you still choose the current, "release button version"?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have often been fooled by how a knife looks rather than how it works for me: balance, grips, overall ergonomics, cutting and slicing performance, operation (opening, closing, unlocking, security when carried). Clips are replaceable or removable so they don’t make much difference to me.

I was meh… about the Ikuchi when it was announced. Appeared too thin, no apparent ergonomics in the handle, strange flipper mechanism (I grew to dislike the standard follow-the-leader flipper designs), long pointy blade. But, as I usually do, I cast such reasoning aside and grabbed one soon after they were released, and I am glad I did. Once I held it and used it the knife was transformed. Everything just works together to make an outstanding everyday tool for me. It is capable of delicate slicing as well as more brutal cutting jobs. I have had it in my pocket since it arrived.

The Smock. Never seen one for real. They disappeared like rain puddles on a hot Texas day. I watched Nick’s disassembly video and was pleased and amazed at the originality of Kevin’s design and Spyderco’s implementation. The blade shape somehow resonates with me. But, as with the Ikuchi and other knives, I need to have one in hand before I can evaluate whether it would be a good knife for me.

So, I will abstain for now..
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:49 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
In that case I just have to ask you: Would you prefer the Smock coming with a "traditional" comp lock and in return a lot more cutting edge, or would you still choose the current, "release button version"?

NOPE! That button release is fantastic. I'd love to see it on more models in the future.

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:49 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

NOPE! That button release is fantastic. I'd love to see it on more models in the future.
Thanks! Guess I´ll have to give that new lock type (or better "pimped" comp lock...) a try eventually... :rolleyes:
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Owning 2 Ikuchi I think that says allot.

The Smock is a knife of interest. Wonder when we will see them available for purchase at Blade HQ or GPknives again?

The side button for the compression lock however neat and unique of an idea that is does not strike me as a particularly secure method to retain a blade. Anyone owning one of these who can chime in on that? Does it take a fair amount of pressure to disengage?

I will buy one of these someday if for nothing else than collect-ability even if the side button is not practical it is still neat.
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

TMNT all the way...but seriously, the Ikuchi is great. Slim, functional, cuts like a laser and carries like a dream. Would love to see a sprint run in Rex 45 or Cruwear with G10. Smock is a pass for me based on aesthetics and choil. Would have rather seen a straight comp lock vs. the button and a better (i.e. wire) clip.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

The Ikuchi deserved a better photo... Spydergirl88 I hope you don't mind, I wasn't able to find anything half decent anywhere else.

Recap of the the score action up until this point: The Smock has been holding its lead since the start, but with the Ikuchi consistently trailing close behind.. At this point it is still either team's game.. Team Turtle, lagging a bit from the beginning, has begun to catch up fairly recently.. An impressive feat considering it holds close to 0% of either teams cutting ability, according to the analysts! Slow and steady wins the race, and time will tell if our early sprinters can also stand the test of endurance.

Appreciate everyone's thoughtful input and questions, keep em coming!!
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

In the turtles defense, a snapping turtle can break bones...I don't think the Smock nor Ikuchi are capable of this feat!

#teamturtle

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

I own neither but I've handled both.

Smock does nothing for me visually or ergonomically. Don't see the appeal personally outside of the new take on the lock.

Ikuchi is pretty cool. I wish it used a regular opening hole, but I like everything else about it. Might pick one up some day.
:unicorn
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Smock does nothing for me visually or ergonomically. Don't see the appeal personally outside of the new take on the lock.

Ikuchi is pretty cool. I wish it used a regular opening hole, but I like everything else about it. Might pick one up some day.
What were your impressions of the button implementation of the CF Lock? was it prone to easy triggering by mistake? I am asking because I will either put money towards this or a Manix XL.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I vote for the Smokuchik.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:28 pm
Vivi wrote:

What were your impressions of the button implementation of the CF Lock? was it prone to easy triggering by mistake? I am asking because I will either put money towards this or a Manix XL.
I had no issues with the lock, it was the rest of the knife that did nothing for me. Ergonomics felt pretty poor for my hand, it's got a fairly low saber grind, huge choil that takes away cutting edge while being too sharp to use as an index choil safely, pretty small overall, etc.

To me it feels like a tech demo to showcase the new lock style. I don't understand why they didn't use an internal stop pin and offer a full cutting edge....maybe I need to watch the take down video.

Either way those are pretty different designs! I'd try to handle them first if you can.
:unicorn
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Turtle claws are very sharp and they cannot rust! #teamturtle
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:54 pm
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:28 pm
Vivi wrote:

I had no issues with the lock, it was the rest of the knife that did nothing for me. Ergonomics felt pretty poor for my hand, it's got a fairly low saber grind, huge choil that takes away cutting edge while being too sharp to use as an index choil safely, pretty small overall, etc.

To me it feels like a tech demo to showcase the new lock style. I don't understand why they didn't use an internal stop pin and offer a full cutting edge....maybe I need to watch the take down video.

Either way those are pretty different designs! I'd try to handle them first if you can.
Thank you.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Owned both... Sold the Smock and won’t ever sell the Ikuchi, so that’s my input. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

To quote the zombie kid:
I like turtles!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:53 am
Owning 2 Ikuchi I think that says allot.

The Smock is a knife of interest. Wonder when we will see them available for purchase at Blade HQ or GPknives again?

The side button for the compression lock however neat and unique of an idea that is does not strike me as a particularly secure method to retain a blade. Anyone owning one of these who can chime in on that? Does it take a fair amount of pressure to disengage?

I will buy one of these someday if for nothing else than collect-ability even if the side button is not practical it is still neat.
The lock is fantastic. Mine takes a little more force to disengage than my para2 (tension on the lock bar is a bit more) but is easier to press the button than digging a fingertip in so it ends up far easier to use. However I have never accidentally disengaged the lock on the Smock or my custom SK23. I’m a lefty by the way and my custom is lefty. Both work great in right or left hand.

As far as the choil is concerned I love it. The way I use it is middle finger tip in the choil, thumb at the Spydie hole and index over spine near the tip for precise cutting. Other than that I hold it with my index in the groove behind the pivot and thumb up on the jimping. That gives me plenty of control,( I am very confused as to why some folks say they are too far from the cutting edge like that? I guess maybe with tiny hands it’s a problem?). Anyways, back to the choil, I really like that the cutting edge is out and away from the pivot area, that way I don’t get crud in my pivot. The Smock has enough cutting edge for my edc tasks and enough handle for my lrg-xlrg hands.

I’m curious about the Ikuchi but the wire clip is too much a deterrent for me and as I mention it ends up a $300 knife if I get a clip that I can actually use so I’ll have to wait to satisfy that curiosity if I ever do.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?