I gave my best knives away. Now what?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: I gave my best knives away. Now what?

Post by Wartstein »

VG10 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:41 pm
I got my Stretch today. Really beautiful. For some reason, it just looks really nice when it's closed. I think it's the proportions and the stainless clip. I think a lot of larger G10 knives like the Shaman make me worried about dropping them. The Stretch has a somewhat fine point, but I don't feel worried about dropping it. It's light and grippy. When I hold it it just seems to say, 'Hey, I cut things. Don't worry about it.' Emphatic A+.
Glad (but not surprised at all ;) ) that you like it!
And a very good characterisation of the ingenious Stretch 1 design at the end of your post!

Since this has been discussed a lot lately I don't want to go in depth again, but let me say: The Stretch 1 should have been a lot more successfull in my view and I am sure it would have been, had more people actually got one in hand and really used it. Most versatile EDC folder ever imho..

And I am no steel expert, but even I can tell that HAP 40 is great stuff. I happen to like the concept and looks of the cladding too.

As for the point/tip: You're absolutely right, fine enough for delicate work, but I never had any tip damage on my Stretches though I really use them for quite everything a knife should be used for
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Crux

Post by Crux »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:37 pm
VG10 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:46 pm
Doesn't have to be a Sprint. I just liked my Cru-Wear Para 3.
Nice guy that I am, I just heard where there's going to be some Rex 45, M390, and 204P para3's next week. I'll send you a PM.
Say what?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VG10 wrote:
I got my Stretch today. Really beautiful. For some reason, it just looks really nice when it's closed. I think it's the proportions and the stainless clip. I think a lot of larger G10 knives like the Shaman make me worried about dropping them. The Stretch has a somewhat fine point, but I don't feel worried about dropping it. It's light and grippy. When I hold it it just seems to say, 'Hey, I cut things. Don't worry about it.' Emphatic A+.
Still A+ after (presumably?) some carry time?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Crux wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:19 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:37 pm
VG10 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:46 pm
Doesn't have to be a Sprint. I just liked my Cru-Wear Para 3.
Nice guy that I am, I just heard where there's going to be some Rex 45, M390, and 204P para3's next week. I'll send you a PM.
Say what?

:eek: :confused: Inquiring minds want to know! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yeaaaaa...I don't believe that for second.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
VG10

Post by VG10 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:08 am
VG10 wrote:
Yup. Sharpening maybe a bit tricky. I'm using a sharpmaker with extra fine rods. How do you sharpen?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VG10 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:11 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:08 am
VG10 wrote:
Yup. Sharpening maybe a bit tricky. I'm using a sharpmaker with extra fine rods. How do you sharpen?
Great! I knew you'd like it, Stretch 1 plus HAP40, hard to beat... ;)

As for sharpening: Just the basic sharpmaker (brown and white (fine, not even extra fine) rods plus a leatherstrop. (Very seldom a small work sharp guided field sharpener). No problems. But I never let my knives get really dull and don't aim for extreme (hair whittling) sharpness (most likely I am not good enough at sharpening to achieve that anyway, even if I tried).

That said: Of course it takes noticeable longer to sharpen my HAP40 knives than my VG10 ones...