I gave my best knives away. Now what?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VG10

Re: I gave my best knives away. Now what?

Post by VG10 »

I wish they'd come out with a cruwear shaman.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

VG10 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:13 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:59 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:51 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:07 am

The answer is Caribbean.
Maybe... but the OPs personal understanding of "midsize" seems to be more in the Native categorie (for me that´s "small", for some others the Native is already "large", to each their own of course)
He was also looking at PM2s, which are the same size as the Caribbean(just not as good :P)
hmm....HMMMMMMM...Carribean....
Indeed!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
VG10

Post by VG10 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:46 pm
Maybe too large for your preferences (though smaller than a PM2 when closed while having even a tad more blade), and the burnt orange scales are not for everyone, but still I'd suggest: Stretch 1 in HAP40 steel. Imho probably the best all around EDC folder to be found.
Oddly, this is where I'm leaning now.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VG10 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:15 am
Wartstein wrote:
Maybe too large for your preferences (though smaller than a PM2 when closed while having even a tad more blade), and the burnt orange scales are not for everyone, but still I'd suggest: Stretch 1 in HAP40 steel. Imho probably the best all around EDC folder to be found.
Really?! :) I am sure you wouldn't regret it...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

VG10 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:07 pm
You are not alone in that wish. I really like my cruwear para3, and wouldn’t mind having a pm2 in cw.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

VG10 wrote:
Yes sir! A Cruwear Shaman with micarta scales is what we are all holding our breath for!!
VG10

Post by VG10 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:09 pm
VG10 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
I did it. Found one on eBay.

Now the long version. Having given away my favorite two large knives (to me, a pm2 is huge), I started compulsively scraping eBay for things that would maybe help me stop feeling knife poor. My brother loves that Cruwear Para 3, but frankly that one hurt the most, so I started looking for an exclusive or a sprint run.

In the process of all of this, I saw a Delica 4 that was a little beat up and older (2008) and fully serrated (which I really enjoy on Spydercos) for $35 plus shipping. I figured it was cheap, and I'd still buy something fancier. I got it in the mail and immediately fell in love, and started looking for an Endura. (Side note: I sharpened the Delica 4 SE on the Sharpmaker with uf rods and it's scary sharp.)

There was only one problem: I've really warmed up to the finger choils on my Native 5 lw and my Para 3. I thought to myself, if only there were an Endura with a finger choil.
I was looking over this thread, and I saw your post. I bounced between the Hap40 Stretch and the ZDP-189 Stretch 2. Anyway, your last post pushed me over the edge and I did it. :) :) :)
VG10

Post by VG10 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:54 pm
VG10 wrote:
Yes sir! A Cruwear Shaman with micarta scales is what we are all holding our breath for!!
I am going to buy it so hard.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VG10 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:58 pm
Wartstein wrote:
VG10 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Now the long version. Having given away my favorite two large knives (to me, a pm2 is huge), I started compulsively scraping eBay for things that would maybe help me stop feeling knife poor. My brother loves that Cruwear Para 3, but frankly that one hurt the most, so I started looking for an exclusive or a sprint run.

In the process of all of this, I saw a Delica 4 that was a little beat up and older (2008) and fully serrated (which I really enjoy on Spydercos) for $35 plus shipping. I figured it was cheap, and I'd still buy something fancier. I got it in the mail and immediately fell in love, and started looking for an Endura. (Side note: I sharpened the Delica 4 SE on the Sharpmaker with uf rods and it's scary sharp.)

There was only one problem: I've really warmed up to the finger choils on my Native 5 lw and my Para 3. I thought to myself, if only there were an Endura with a finger choil.
I was looking over this thread, and I saw your post. I bounced between the Hap40 Stretch and the ZDP-189 Stretch 2. Anyway, your last post pushed me over the edge and I did it. :) :) :)
(pm-ed you)

Great! Hope you´ll enjoy the Stretch 1, imho probably the best EDC folder ever, especially in HAP 40. Closed it is really not much longer than a Delica (though wider of course), but offers a lot more blade in an exceptionally usefull shape.

As for the finger choil on the Stretch 1: I hope it will be enough of a choil for you. In length it is really exactly shaped like the one on the PM2, but the PM2 choil is deeper, and so it might feel more secure to some than the choil on the Stretch 1. The Native choil definitely is more pronounced than the one on the Stretch 1.

If a deep and very pronounced choil is a priority for you, the Stretch 2 might be an even better choice. But the "price you pay" is a shorter blade in an overall longer package.

Last point: If you can live with the burnt orange scales (I personally happen to like that color!!) I personally think the HAP 40 version is a better choice for a general EDC folder than the ZDP 189 version. Though I have to say once more: I am not a steel expert by any means.

Maybe you´d like to report back later! how you like the Stretch
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

I'm really happy with my Sliverax as my go-to blade -- but I love flippers. No sprints that I'm aware of, though.
VG10

Post by VG10 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:52 pm
VG10 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:58 pm
Wartstein wrote:
VG10 wrote:

(pm-ed you)

Great! Hope you´ll enjoy the Stretch 1, imho probably the best EDC folder ever, especially in HAP 40. Closed it is really not much longer than a Delica (though wider of course), but offers a lot more blade in an exceptionally usefull shape.

As for the finger choil on the Stretch 1: I hope it will be enough of a choil for you. In length it is really exactly shaped like the one on the PM2, but the PM2 choil is deeper, and so it might feel more secure to some than the choil on the Stretch 1. The Native choil definitely is more pronounced than the one on the Stretch 1.

If a deep and very pronounced choil is a priority for you, the Stretch 2 might be an even better choice. But the "price you pay" is a shorter blade in an overall longer package.

Last point: If you can live with the burnt orange scales (I personally happen to like that color!!) I personally think the HAP 40 version is a better choice for a general EDC folder than the ZDP 189 version. Though I have to say once more: I am not a steel expert by any means.

Maybe you´d like to report back later! how you like the Stretch
I did notice the choil before I bought it. If I don't like it, it'll go back on ebay, but I think it'll be good. I'll report back.
VG10

Post by VG10 »

So far, I have ordered three knives: Shaman M4, a plain old Endura 4 SE, and the Stretch Hap40. The only one that has arrived is the Endura, and I absolutely love it. Never realized. I just thought it would be a big delica. Knife Christmas will continue through the week. Knife Chanukah maybe?
VG10

Post by VG10 »

So far, endura A+. Shaman B- because I don't feel I can carry it anywhere socially, and I'm affraid to ruin the value of it. We'll see if I like the stretch. If it's like an endura with a finger choil, it'll be good.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VG10 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:37 pm
So far, endura A+. Shaman B- because I don't feel I can carry it anywhere socially, and I'm affraid to ruin the value of it. We'll see if I like the stretch. If it's like an endura with a finger choil, it'll be good.
Looking forward to your grading of the Stretch HAP 40. Carrying mine today PLUS an Endura with Micarta scales (for I´ll have to cut a lot of cardboard and want to compare those two side by side once more), both are A+ for me definitely... ;)
Attachments
Stretch Endura.jpg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VG10 wrote:
P.S.: Have you looked at the upcoming Chief? Could be an Endura with choil in some way. Practically same closed length, but still more blade, even a bit more edge plus a very comfortable looking choil.... though G10, S30V, no thumb ramp and a lot more expensive of course.
VG10

Post by VG10 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:21 pm
VG10 wrote:
P.S.: Have you looked at the upcoming Chief? Could be an Endura with choil in some way. Practically same closed length, but still more blade, even a bit more edge plus a very comfortable looking choil.... though G10, S30V, no thumb ramp and a lot more expensive of course.
You know, I love the Japanese knives, but the price of them seems to have gone up, and the American Spyders I've had have had really good QC. The American ones seem like a better and better deal as time goes on. I did see that chief in a marketing email from bhq. I like the thumb ramp, but the whole Native series ergos are really great and practical.
VG10

Post by VG10 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:18 pm
VG10 wrote:
Looking forward to your grading of the Stretch HAP 40. Carrying mine today PLUS an Endura with Micarta scales (for I´ll have to cut a lot of cardboard and want to compare those two side by side once more), both are A+ for me definitely... ;)
Hold the phone. When was there a micarta Endura?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VG10 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:47 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:21 pm
VG10 wrote:
You know, I love the Japanese knives, but the price of them seems to have gone up, and the American Spyders I've had have had really good QC. The American ones seem like a better and better deal as time goes on. I did see that chief in a marketing email from bhq. I like the thumb ramp, but the whole Native series ergos are really great and practical.
So what you are saying is that you like the Chief (as an American made knife) over Endura / Stretch (Japanese made)? As said, in dimensions it´s quite close to the Endura, in overall shape (choil, no ramp...) and materials (S30V, G10) not so much. You can look at all the new Spydies, including the chief, in the very first thread on this forum (Announcments: Spyderco 2019 Reveal Volume 2) as you most likely will have noticed anyway.

I never had any issues with my Japanese made Spydercos (amongst those several Enduras and Stretches) I have to say. Especially my HAP 40 Stretch and Endura are excellentely made when it comes to fit and finish.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VG10 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:18 pm
VG10 wrote:
When was there a micarta Endura?
Never, I guess... ;) ...Aftermarket scales! (look at the pic in my previous post)... I´d have chosen another color and a bit more contouring, but I got the knife used as it is. Still really like and carry it a lot, despite it´s my only Spydie with the grind a bit off. The pretty smooth Micarta is even less of a pocket destroyer than FRN (which DOES rip the rims your pockets eventually).
VG10

Post by VG10 »

I got my Stretch today. Really beautiful. For some reason, it just looks really nice when it's closed. I think it's the proportions and the stainless clip. I think a lot of larger G10 knives like the Shaman make me worried about dropping them. The Stretch has a somewhat fine point, but I don't feel worried about dropping it. It's light and grippy. When I hold it it just seems to say, 'Hey, I cut things. Don't worry about it.' Emphatic A+.