Eric Glesser breaks down the Para 3 LW!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

Eric Glesser breaks down the Para 3 LW!

Post by Catamount123 »

Very nice video:

https://youtu.be/Bq0c5JqCtU4

I'm not sure how to embed it, if someone else does, that would be great.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
SpyderSeth

Re: Eric Glesser breaks down the Para 3 LW!

Post by SpyderSeth »

https://youtu.be/Bq0c5JqCtU4
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Uh oh... Nick Shabazz's future disassembly video already has competition.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Hah, very nice! I'm glad to see these kinds of videos being made by the makers themselves. I'll probably still make my own, for tradition's sake, but it's great to see!
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
sonarsessions

Post by sonarsessions »

That's an awesome video and I really appreciate how much info has already come out before the knife's release. One thing that has to be brought up though, as I know this is something a few people have mentioned (and i apologize in advance if it was answered already), but with the edge running all the way back, why are so many spyderco models not built with a sharpening notch at the rear of the blade (for sharpening purposes)?
"All good, just different." :D

Current Spyderco's: C240CFP Smock CF S30V, C11PBK Saber Grind Delica 4 Black VG10, C101PBN2 Manix 2 Brown CTS XHP, C28PBK2 Dragonfly 2 FRN Black VG10, C223GP Para 3 Black G10 S30V, C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 British Racing Green ZDP-189, C28ZFPGR2 Dragonfly 2 Zome VG10, C41PBK5 Native 5 FRN Black S35VN, C101PDBL2 Manix 2 Dark Blue S110v, C94PDBL UK PenKnife Lightweight Dark Blue FRN S110V, C41PDBL5 Native 5 Dark Blue S110V, C11FPWCBK Wharncliffe Delica 4 Black VG10, C10PSFG Endura 4 Foliage Green Combo VG10, C11FPBN Flat Ground Delica 4 Brown VG10
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

sonarsessions wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:03 pm
One thing that has to be brought up though, as I know this is something a few people have mentioned (and i apologize in advance if it was answered already), but with the edge running all the way back, why are so many spyderco models not built with a sharpening notch at the rear of the blade (for sharpening purposes)?
Watch the video starting at 8:54. Eric talks specifically about this.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Watching with great interest!

EDIT: Just finished, I'm really excited for the Para 3 LW and looking forward to more content from Eric!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sonarsessions wrote:
That's an awesome video and I really appreciate how much info has already come out before the knife's release. One thing that has to be brought up though, as I know this is something a few people have mentioned (and i apologize in advance if it was answered already), but with the edge running all the way back, why are so many spyderco models not built with a sharpening notch at the rear of the blade (for sharpening purposes)?
I totally respect your wish for sharpening choils, but I guess many (including myself) don't like those. And you could always add a choil if you like, but not really remove one without severely reducing the blade height...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

sonarsessions wrote:
In addition to what Eric said, the subject has been discussed and debated here a few times before IIRC. As Wartstein said, some people like a sharpening notch, and other people don't. I believe Spyderco went the way they did as it's easy enough to add one with diamond needle files, but you can't put material back if you don't want the notch.

I use both benchstones and the Sharpmaker, and I've never really found the lack of a notch an impediment to thinning out the edge all the way back to the plunge line. If I need to, I just use the corner of a coarse stone in that area to thin it out. When cutting through bunched up plastic pallet wrap, cordage and plant material, I've found a sharpening notch can cause hangups.

On knives that have them, I have followed the good advice of people on this forum and sharpened them to be like a single serration scallop to avoid those hangups.

There are a few Spydies that have them - I think the Centofante does. Alistair Phillips has a good how-to on Youtube showing how to add one to the Kapara too.

Great 'Paramilitary 3' video by the way. :D ;) :cool:
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I really liked Eric's video. It was super informative about both the choices made in the designing of this knife, and answering a few questions that i could say he could have gotten away with not answering (such as in regards to the lack of a sharpening choil, the two additional holes on the blade, and the interchangeability of knife blades and scales)
I like that he was honest about the interchangeability thing. The transparency is something few companies display and it shows you all care.
I ALSO LOVE THAT THREAD LOCK TECHNIQUE!
That looks so much easier than dabbing it on a screw you're holding onto dear life for.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

If you can't beat the unnecessary disassembling crowd, join them I guess.. Cue plastic bags with more or less complete part collections dropping in at HQ soon. And up the production of spare screws.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Eric called the model a Para Military 3 a few times in the video. Is it not just Para 3?
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Robbob wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:04 am
Eric called the model a Para Military 3 a few times in the video. Is it not just Para 3?
I think it is just para 3.
There's to identify it as not being a product changing (i.e playstation becomes playstation 2) but rather it's own product from the start (PSP)

But the fact is that all these knives pretty much share a design language and naming nomenclature to an extent where it's really easy to just blurt out the paramilitary name.
Unless spyderco has changed the name of the para 3 to PM3 I'd think it would be easy for Eric to have this happen (the paramilitary has been selling for far longer than the para 3)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The official name of the knife is the Para 3.

By Spyderco's naming convention, a "Para Military 2" is a second generation of the "Para Military" model. Since the Para 3 is smaller and physically different than the Para Military 2, it needed a different name. The "3" in "Para 3" reflects its edge length--3 inches.

The challenge will come if and when we do a second generation of the Para 3. Will it be the "Para 3-2?" The "Para 3 Squared?" Only time will tell...

Stay safe,

Mike
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Mike: What's wrong with the old British/Jaguar naming standard 'MkII' :) I mean, Sal himself is fond of car terms/parallels (Spyder in Spyderco)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I've wondered for a while whether Spyderco would implement the compression lock without a true liner. Neat to see it happen.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:11 am
The challenge will come if and when we do a second generation of the Para 3. Will it be the "Para 3-2?" The "Para 3 Squared?" Only time will tell...
Para 3b
Para 3.2
2 Para 3
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Para 3 MkII
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Para 4 would make sense with the precedent already established.
That way the abbreviation could make it confusing with the current P4

If the PM2 ever got heavily revised (no idea how) than i could see things getting worrisome perhaps.
PM3 and para3 isn't ideal
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Para 4 would make sense with the precedent already established.
That way the abbreviation could make it confusing with the current P4

If the PM2 ever got heavily revised (no idea how) than i could see things getting worrisome perhaps.
PM3 and para3 isn't ideal