Tips for UF bench stone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

Tips for UF bench stone?

Post by ZMW »

My UF Bench Stone arrived the other day and I have just begun to fiddle around with it. But, it is unlike any other stone I have worked with and am curious if there are good tips or tricks you guys have?

For example, I was cleaning the powdered steel off the stone with a regular papertowel and water like I do on the medium stone, and after I noticed the stone felt gritty when I was running my knife over it. I felt it, and the papertowel seems to leave micro pieces of bundled up paper towel on the stone and that was messing me up. On the Med stone, never had that issue.

It also feels like I am sharpening my knife on a piece of glass. A couple times there was almost a very mild nails on chalk board type of screech it gave off. That example is a little extreme as it was not that bad, but that is the best way I can describe it.

1-2 knives came off duller from that stone then from the med/fin - which I know is my user error. Practice is needed... Any tips or suggestions with the UF Bench Stone?

Thanks!
RazorSharp86

Re: Tips for UF bench stone?

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Rubber erasers work well on this stone.
However, a rust eraser is probably best for cleaning waterstones, but also does exceptionally well. You can buy a rust eraser on Amazon. It’s a product made in Japan (at least my version is).

The UF benchstone is one of my favorites. It polishes fairly well, and is great when used to touch up an edge.
If I set a bevel at a low angle on a thin blade (ie. Kitchen knife), then I can upkeep the edge via the UF stone for months..! Real impressive stuff. Especially considering it requires no flattening or any water at all.
Loads up fast and it hinders performance, but cleaning it every few sessions is quick and easy.

Enjoy!
vivi

Post by vivi »

They clean easily with bar keepers friend and a scouring pad.

My advice is to don't ever use this stone on a knife that has no ability to shave arm hair. UF stones are for rfining an already sharp edge, not getting them sharp in the first place.
:unicorn
Ric

Post by Ric »

I use them mostly for the finish.
Just a few passes.
Like stroping...
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

The large white nylon pencil erasers work the best on UF, F, and Medium stones. I've used the Spyderco stones for years and tried everything under the sun until I bought a three pack of these erasers at Target. It really only takes 3-5 SECONDS to clean off the stone by rubbing the eraser across its surface... and I think I paid $1-2 for the pack and I'm still on the first one after a couple of years of use.
FK

Post by FK »

Zatx,

Thanks for the tip,,,, I will try it this weekend.

Regards,
FK
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

For a long time I ignored Spydercos advice to use a powdered cleanser on ceramic stones/rods, and just used normal dish soap and a scourer.

It worked ok but not great. We don't have Barkeepers Friend in Australia, so one day I thought I'd try a powdered cleanser called Ajax. It works amazingly, and seems to actually react with the steel particles to completely remove them. I think the powdered cleansers use an oxalic acid formulation - you can see the steel buildup turn blue as it is removed.

I got the 3x8" UF after seeing Shawn's (Deadboxhero/BigBrownBear), and Michael Christy's sharpening videos on Youtube. It's a fantastic fine finishing stone.

The edges on mine were a little rough and unfinished, so I smoothed them out with a coarse flattening stone at 45 degrees, and a SiC sandpaper progression.

I use it with a little spritz of water for lubrication, and to keep the dust damped down.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I only have UF SharpMaker rods that I seldom if ever use. That said I know the general consensus is to use these stones dry however, I’ve found that using Windex to wet the stone with a half inch artists brush although messy (using the SharpMaker) it gives much better report and greatly reduces clogging. Windex seems to carry swarf away and it runs down the stone. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:47 pm
We don't have Barkeepers Friend in Australia
Hey Camber bloke, that’s what I thought but you can buy it at Coles. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:02 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:47 pm
We don't have Barkeepers Friend in Australia
Hey Camber bloke, that’s what I thought but you can buy it at Coles. :)
Hey Bloke,

Ha ha is that right!? Oh well, I'll go check it out tomorrow! Thanks for the tip. Ajax does work OK anyway though.

I'll get some Windex too. ;)

Cheers Bloke!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I use light coat mineral oil / baby oil in it, and rubber pencil eraser.
No barkeepers also down here so I make do with what’s available.

Vivi is correct. The knife should already been fully sharpened to use this effectively.
Chris :spyder: