Reverse Grip Edge In, folder deployment

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blue72

Reverse Grip Edge In, folder deployment

Post by Blue72 »

Currently using a spyderco delica emerson opener with the clip reversed so I can deploy the blade reverse grip edge in, similar in fashion how Craig Douglas deploys the Spyderco P'kal. The Emerson opener works well

However, are there any other deployment methods that would work well with RGEI on folding knives that do not have the Emerson or wave opener?

I think I read somewhere that Sal likes RGEI with the lil temperance. I would be interested in knowing if he has any special deployment methods that might help. If any.
youmakemehole

Re: Reverse Grip Edge In, folder deployment

Post by youmakemehole »

http://wisemencompany.com/fang/

I've found that carrying the knife closer your inseam (side of the pocket closer to your crotch) while using the emerson opener makes it so you have more options as far as what grip to have when you deploy. As far as the methods themselves, there isnt one much better than the one that's nearly instantaneous afforded with an emerson. If you want to try it out before committing to a purchase of something like the fang, try wrapping zip ties or tape around your spydie hole to have a fairly close representation of what it will be like.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, dd61999:

For "add-on" versions of the Wave, I like the Pickpocket from 5x5 Combat Solutions, which is available for Delicas, Enduras, the Para Military 2/Para 3, and the Yojimbo 2.

If you carry in a back pocket, you can also draw your knife and open it directly into reverse grip with a ring-finger opening, using the hole. Similarly, set up your clip carry in the pocket as if you had a Wave (spine of closed blade facing forward), draw, and ring-finger or inertially open. It's not as fast as a Wave and should only be used with folders that have strong detents (because the blade spine does not back against the rear seam of the pocket), but it works. Once open, rotate the knife in your hand to achieve RGEI.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

Wow Mike thanks for sharing that site, I've always been looking for a place to get stuff like that for my Spyderco's. If their add-on wave is competitively priced as other options I'd probably prefer it as it still keeps the Spydie hole open fo your fingers to utilize it as you normally would. The screwdriver backspacer looks awfully tempting to grab like 3 of right now too. Awesome stuff~
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Thanks for the input on wave add on accessories, but like I said. I’m currently using a delica wave

But what I was really looking for was a knife that would easily open by inertia in reverse grip
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

A Spyderco? I dont think there are many Spydercos that open with inertia. I suppose the Autonomy 2 could be the closest thing, and that the reverse grip both edge in and edge out seem usable. I also have the Lil Temperance, I can agree that it is one of the better ones to use edge in. The thing is the properties that make something good in reverse grip edge out tend to also be properties that make it not so good edge in, and so its hard to find a knife that does both well.

-sal
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

youmakemehole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:06 pm
A Spyderco? I dont think there are many Spydercos that open with inertia. I suppose the Autonomy 2 could be the closest thing, and that the reverse grip both edge in and edge out seem usable. I also have the Lil Temperance, I can agree that it is one of the better ones to use edge in. The thing is the properties that make something good in reverse grip edge out tend to also be properties that make it not so good edge in, and so its hard to find a knife that does both well.

Is it? I know my old spyderco military used to open with just a flick of the wrist
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

Hm I can maybe see that on the Military, with its liner lock and big blade. I've got one from 2018 that isn't quite there though. Possibility could be that I am just a weakling though, I'm sure any other Military owner could confirm here if this was the case, no offense will be taken.

I've noticed of all the folders i can deploy with inertia, not only are none of them from Spyderco, all of them have been liner locks, and they all have big long/heavy blades with weight often distributed more towards the tip. Now that I'm considering this stuff, I realize that most knives that would be good for reverse grip edge in are not going to have blades distributed towards the tip but rather the opposite, towards the tang. So i'd personally cast a little doubt on the likelihood of you finding such a folder, especially a Spyderco. Would you care to elaborate why inertia opening is a requirement on such a knife and what makes the compression/axis lock engagement method of opening or an automatic button deployment not fit the bill?

-sal
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

dd61999 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:16 am
Thanks for the input on wave add on accessories, but like I said. I’m currently using a delica wave

But what I was really looking for was a knife that would easily open by inertia in reverse grip
Sorry, I didn't get that from your initial post...

The ease of inertially opening a knife is based on the strength of the detent keeping the blade closed, the mass of the blade, and good technique. Back locks have a strong self-close function, so they are more difficult, but by no means impossible. LinerLocks, Compression Locks, and Ball Bearing Locks open easier, because their detents apply less pressure to keep the blade closed. Those locks combined with a saber-ground blade that offers more mass would do best, but that's not a common pairing. A reasonably thick blade with a full-flat grind would also work well.

Stay safe,

Mike
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I do the old "Cobra" ring ringer open all the time, not so much for SD reasons but because it makes me feel awesome lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:38 am
I do the old "Cobra" ring ringer open all the time, not so much for SD reasons but because it makes me feel awesome lol.
"Go ahead... I don't shop here..."

Classic.

Stay safe,

Mike
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:40 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:38 am
"Go ahead... I don't shop here..."

Classic.

Stay safe,

Mike
i just quoted this movie yesterday and everyone looked at me like i was crazy. no one had any idea what i was talking about. so sad.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Thanks for the input guys.

The more I practice it seems fixed blade is the way to go. But I wear a suit every day and sometimes workout shorts during weekend activities. Both are not really conducive to fixed blades.

The waved knife seems the best solution for a folder. But sometimes in fast deployments, the blade sometimes bounces back and doesn’t always lock up.

In addition not every knife feels comfortable in reverse grip, so selection is limited
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

For reliable reverse grip inertial openings to be held rgei, Yo2, Para2, Shaman come to mind in my collection. Although why not just get a Pkal? The wave on that is removable.

Learn the ringfinger open well enough you can carry backlocks like the police 4 :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
loamy47

Post by loamy47 »

Forgive me for being naive, but what position exactly is reverse grip edge in?
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

loamy47 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:01 pm
Pointy side towards your pinky sharp edge side facing your body.

OP if I can add my 2 cents, although I do not know your exact circumstances nor should I assume them, in general I'd say if you are really concerned about your own safety, youd cary something like pepper spray which can afford you a few seconds to not engage in a violent exchange with an attacker and be able to run away, as opposed to a knife, which by utilizing one would do all the opposite, and probably endanger your safety even more. I think you said you run regularly which makes this alternative even more attractive as your safety will likely be guaranteed, even without the pepper spray, 99.9% of street junkies and homeless people would probably be unable to catch you, in addition to probably also 90% of muggers, robbers, and gangbangers as well. Add the pepper spray and you've got yourself a sealed deal, as well as a guarantee you will not be sued or arrested under any circumstance. :p

-sal
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

youmakemehole wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:17 am
loamy47 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:01 pm
Pointy side towards your pinky sharp edge side facing your body.

OP if I can add my 2 cents, although I do not know your exact circumstances nor should I assume them, in general I'd say if you are really concerned about your own safety, youd cary something like pepper spray which can afford you a few seconds to not engage in a violent exchange with an attacker and be able to run away, as opposed to a knife, which by utilizing one would do all the opposite, and probably endanger your safety even more. I think you said you run regularly which makes this alternative even more attractive as your safety will likely be guaranteed, even without the pepper spray, 99.9% of street junkies and homeless people would probably be unable to catch you, in addition to probably also 90% of muggers, robbers, and gangbangers as well. Add the pepper spray and you've got yourself a sealed deal, as well as a guarantee you will not be sued or arrested under any circumstance. :p

I agree evasion will always be my first and preferred option.

I’m a student of Brazilian Jiu jitsu. The knife would only be the very very last option if I’m stuck in a dangerous entanglement where my opponent might have me in a situation I only have seconds to get out of. Such as a choke hold I cannot escape from or a weapons retention situation.
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

I see. After reading that I am quite grateful I do not ever have to think about such a situation where I am at! If we are trying to prepare ourselves for such a situation though, most folders, even automatic ones would be massively handicapped compared to a fixed blade, so to speak. Even an emerson wave would be really straddling that fine line between practical and useless for a carry option to help in that situation.

Because think about it, you need to have space for the blade to swing open, assuming we are talking about the slim % of times we can afford to reach for it. I cant imagine it would be easy or even probable if you are grappling on the ground or in a bear hug/choke hold. And then if we want to use inertia to deploy the blade, we need even more room for our forearm and hand to do its little jerk/swingy thing.

For the problem you described above though, about the blade bouncing back, it should be very easily fixed by tightening the pivot up just a tad. Find the sweet spot where the blade no longer bounces back but isnt too tightened up where occasionally the blade only deploys halfway either. With a backlock Delica you should really be able to very easily find a setting so it opens and locks for you nearly 100% of the time when you use your wave.

-sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DD,

The John D'Allara model works well. It was the model that I used on developing the P'Kal folder.

sal
old dog

Post by old dog »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:12 am
Hey, dd61999:

For "add-on" versions of the Wave, I like the Pickpocket from 5x5 Combat Solutions, which is available for Delicas, Enduras, the Para Military 2/Para 3, and the Yojimbo 2.

If you carry in a back pocket, you can also draw your knife and open it directly into reverse grip with a ring-finger opening, using the hole. Similarly, set up your clip carry in the pocket as if you had a Wave (spine of closed blade facing forward), draw, and ring-finger or inertially open. It's not as fast as a Wave and should only be used with folders that have strong detents (because the blade spine does not back against the rear seam of the pocket), but it works. Once open, rotate the knife in your hand to achieve RGEI.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
I realize this is an ancient thread but I got a Yojumbo and a 5x5 "ring" and "wave". It's perfection. Ready to defang the snake but hope I never have to.