Linerless G10 Native 5 over FRN N5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
babtron

Linerless G10 Native 5 over FRN N5?

Post by babtron »

Hello guys,

I love the Native platform. Imho, it might be the best one Spyderco makes, for me at least. I only have the basic S30V in FRN right now. I love how light it is, and frankly, I feel it's pretty robust for being "plastic". It with an MXG Gear deep carry clip, is probably my favorite knife to use. It just feels so right. I am very tempted to get the linerless G10 Native. It intrigues me for some reason. Is it worth it if I am perfectly fine with my FRN version? Is it that much better? I am awaiting the release of the LW Para 3. While I liked the Para 3, I wasn't exactly a fan of the weight, or how the G10 felt honestly. It just felt bulky in my pocket. Should I just wait for the LW Para 3 instead of looking at a linerless G10. I know the answer should be just get both, but I can't justify that right now!

Thanks!
BornIn1500

Re: Linerless G10 Native 5 over FRN N5?

Post by BornIn1500 »

sounds like you would be happier with the LW Para 3
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I personally would always choose the lw version; I don´t think that the linerless G10 is "better" in any way, functionally speaking. And as you already did not like "how the G10 felt" on your Para 3, why have it in the Native when you already know that you like FRN in the Native platform?

/ As I always do, I´d suggest once more to try out the Chap lw (FRN) instead of buying another Native or the upcoming Para 3 lw.
The blade of the Chap is almost as long as the Natives, but thinner, slicier, and still robust. It is even lighter, despite having liners (the FRN on the handle is so thin that I reckon it would not work well without liners). And it does feel really solid and robust, while still being very slim and light in the pocket.

I actually sold my Native 5 lw to get the funds for a Chap FRN and never regretet it.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

It comes down to personal preference and you just may like the FRN better/best. I'm that way with the Delica. But is always ok to explore gear to find what works for you. Maybe you could find one retail or elsewhere to hold first, then you will know; or a retailer with a workable return policy.

Me and the Native, I won't every day carry it so I tend to prefer it with heft!! In order of preference for me: Carbon fiber saber grind, steel liner G10, linerless G10, fluted carbon fiber, FRN. The carbon fiber saber grind head and shoulders above the rest, the g10's are pretty close together, the fluted carbon fiber gets a wow in the appearance category but has some hotspots in my hand with a firm grip, and I just never did take to the FRN in this model.

The LC200N Salt version seems to be a favorite with many.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sometimes I like the grippy bi-directional texturing on the LWs and sometimes I like something that slips in and out of the pocket a little easier. The G10 knives provide the best of both worlds IMO. I don't think any of them are better all around. They just have different characteristics.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am not a bit N5 fan (good knife though) because it does not fit my hand and I am not a P3 fan because of the lock. I have an N5 LW and it is a nice knife but the linerless G10 weighs not much more and is the stronger knife. That is the one I would get.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Native is one of, if not the best platform that Spyderco or any other production knife maker produces. The amount of refinement since the last Native is quite incredible to say the least. I have had the G10 version with liners, the linerless G10, and the FRN LW. The G10 version with liners is feels much heavier, but gives you confidence in hard use. It would be great to see that version paired with Cruwear/4V/3V.

Now as far as the linerless G10 vs. FRN. After months of rotating between both of these and the Chap LW for EDC, I would choose the G10 if all else is equal. They are both very lightweight, the peel ply texture of the G10 is plenty grippy, and the G10 give you a little extra confidence in the strength of the handle. Don't get me wrong, the LW is PLENTY solid and feels so much stronger than the FRN models out of Seki, but for some reason the G10 feels "mentally" stronger if that makes sense. I have both and love both and will continue to buy both in any new steel.

For you in particular, since you have an S30V LW I would do one of the following.

a. sell your Native LW, and get a linerless G10 Native in S30V or S35VN preferably (if you can track one down). And replace your S30V Native LW with a Native Salt so you have a rustproof knife

b. keep your Native LW (or sell and replace with Native Salt), and wait for a linerless G10 sprint/exclusive in a super-steel you want (hopefully Cruwear is coming!)

c. if money is burning a hole in your pocket get the para 3 LW and then still get a linerless G10 at a later date when an exclusive comes out in a new steel.

d. keep the s30V lightweight and track down an S35VN linerless G10 Native (going to be hard to impossible to find, but I actually had one at one point and then sold it)

basically don't just get a Native G10 in the same S30V. The difference isn't that great to justify getting one in the same steel. probably not even enough to justify S30V vs S35VN. a Native Salt and an linerless S30V/S35VN is probably the ideal combo.

apologies for all of the rambling.. :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If you love the Native 5, there is only one answer. The Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 with S90V. Spyderco doesn't make a nicer Native 5 than that. Honestly I think it's the nicest knife they make, though I'm sure others might argue that point.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal