Some issues with my new Yojimbo 2 sprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cryptohominid

Some issues with my new Yojimbo 2 sprints

Post by Cryptohominid »

I have been so stoked about my Yo2 that I decided to indulge in an upgrade for a backup, so I ordered the carbon fiber 20cv version. Then, literally the next day I saw that the BHQ m4 was about to drop, and I wound up being able to snag one. I can’t really justify keeping both, so I figured I would compare and make a decision on which to throw back. However, I noticed a couple of things...

The 20cv version has lovely carbon fiber but I didn’t realize it had absolutely zero texturing. That strikes me as a bizarre choice for a self defense oriented knife, and I also noticed that the blade was a bit shorter than my regular production version.

Then the m4 arrived today, and lo and behold, that blade is even shorter-by a couple of millimeters! And this is after I screwed up and bent the tippy-tip of my regular one and had already sharpened that mistake out.

Is this variation common in sprint runs? Or maybe someone just ground the crap out of them? The m4 one is not even sharp enough to cut paper well. I can fix that, but I feel like I’m already loosing some blade material from the get go and suspect that the edges are burned from over grinding.

I love the 3 Spyderco’s I already own (Police 4, Manix 2xl, and the stock Yo2) and have had zero issues with them. I guess I’m feeling a little let down by my pricey upgrades. Any advice on what I should do?

Cheers, Dave
TazKristi

Re: Some issues with my new Yojimbo 2 sprints

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Dave:
Welcome to our forum. I'm sorry for your disappointment. If you are unhappy with your purchases I would recommend sending them both into our Warranty & Repair department for evaluation to see if anything is out of spec. All of the information you need can be found here, https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/.

We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Cryptohominid

Post by Cryptohominid »

Thanks for the swift reply, Kristi.

I doubt anything is ‘out of spec’ with the cpm 20cv sample, I think it is going back just simply due to the slick handle scales. That might be a feature BHQ should mention in the description since there are other cf models with texture, but that’s certainly not Spyderco’s fault.

As for the m4 sprint, even if it was found to be out of spec based on the blade length I’m assuming that as a sold out sprint run there would not be a supply standing by to replace it with. I’m well within the return window on both, so it’s not like I am getting burned or anything, just disappointed.

Maybe I’m being too picky? IDK.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Cryptohominid:

It's important to note that, while I designed the Yo 2 to be optimized for personal-defense use, Exclusive expressions of the design are based on the preferences of the dealer/distributor who commissions the Exclusive. The original designers of a knife do not have any influence over those choices. I have been asked many times why I chose to put smooth scales on the CPM 20CV Exclusive. That was the dealer's choice, not mine. The result is a stunningly beautiful expression of the Yo 2, but one that offers less grip texture than the standard model. Much like a tricked out custom pistol, some aesthetic choices create great pride of ownership, but are a conscious compromise in other areas.

As for blade length, black-bladed Yojimbos tend to be about 0.02 inches longer than satin-finished ones because their spines are not sanded during final finishing. Satin-finished Yo 2s typically average 3.20 inches. Black-coated blades average 3.22.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Cryptohominid

Post by Cryptohominid »

First, I feel that I must say how awesome it is for a complaining noob on the forums not only to get a prompt response from a company representative also the actual designer of the knife. I’m blown away and very grateful.

In response to Mr. Janich, in regards to the carbon fiber cpm 20cv knife I was assuming what your first paragraph said. And it is a very good looking piece. However, as a 50 year old martial artist with two small children (who can’t run away as fast as I can-yet) I fully intended this knife to be a last ditch self defense/force leveler as its primary purpose. I have found myself using my first Yo2 heavily as a work knife (the razor knife on steroids is ideal for many tasks) and wanted one to carry outside of work for SD and light utility. So, as nice as it it, those slick scales mean it has to go back.

Regarding the DLC m4 version, it is significantly shorter than the 2 satin ones currently in my possession. Based on what you said that is not the norm, and my suspicions of a bad grind are pretty much confirmed. I wish I could send it back to Spyderco for replacement, but as a sold out sprint I don’t see how that would help. I also don’t think that I could put it on the secondary market in good conscience, so I may be the first person in history to have to return a sold out sprint run to the dealer. :eek:

I still love the knife, it’s a great fit for this old Bagua/Xingyi practitioner. I guess I’ll just have to try again on the next sprint, by a regular one for back/out of work carry, or perhaps the ...YoJumbo?
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I love the slick handle of the 20CV version. It keeps my pockets from getting ruined. I have to say it is one of the finest production knives I have ever owned. Just a slick piece of hardware!