Ikuchi - fantastic knife!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spydersense

Re: Ikuchi - fantastic knife!

Post by Spydersense »

This thread needs more pics:

Mine needed no modifications to prevent blade pokes. It was perfect out of the box. Eric told me at the OKCA show that the next batch is going to get CQI improvements to eliminate this problem, as well as the pivot will get a bronze bushing instead of washers. :cool:
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydersense wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Mine needed no modifications to prevent blade pokes. It was perfect out of the box. Eric told me at the OKCA show that the next batch is going to get CQI improvements to eliminate this problem, as well as the pivot will get a bronze bushing instead of washers. :cool:
That is interesting
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:04 pm
Spydersense wrote:

That is interesting
I thought so too. Especially since I didn't think the pivot needed improving. Awesome that he is listening to customer feedback, and is so willing to implement improvements.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydersense wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:08 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:04 pm
Spydersense wrote:

That is interesting
I thought so too. Especially since I didn't think the pivot needed improving. Awesome that he is listening to customer feedback and so willing to implement improvements.
Agreed!
Spydergirl88
brj

Post by brj »

I do believe 'fantastic' is the only way to describe the Ikuchi. The design is so streamlined and deceptively simple and yet you soon come to realize this is one of the cases when bare minimum is actually more than enough.

Very happy with mine, the wheel flipper working intuitive from the get going, no sharp edges where you don't want them and the tip recessed enough as to make it perfectly safe.
anycal wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:08 pm
I was mesmerized when I first got this knife. Haven't been this intrigued with a new knife since my first Military. It was one of those 'I never had a knife quite like this before' moments. It is slim, feels light, but surprisingly dense, I guess one way to describe it.
I also need to echo the sentiment here, I initially wanted the Ikuchi for the engineering feat it stands for and feared that in practice I'm gonna find it on the small side, after so many years of Military/Pacific Salt constant carry - and I was completely blown away to find out that, once open, the Ikuchi is not only big enough for anything EDC use might entail, but it feels quite substantial in a way you are not quite expecting to, based on looks alone.

As for the bronze bushings, I believe the pivot is working just fine on PB washers and I tremendously enjoy the current simplicity of the build - but that most likely would not prevent me from buying an extra one if Spyderco does decide to CQI it after all :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Ikuchi is a spectacular design and mine is superbly constructed in every way and requires no modifications to be carried safely and effectively. I examined my copy to see if it has the issues that some have mentioned here. The edge on my flipper wheel is sharp but not sharp enough to cut my fingers. The tip is a little high when closed but not high enough be dangerous in any normal use scenario. Both are complete non-issues for me. I would have carried and used my Ikuchi for years without even noticing these things if I didn’t participate on this forum. Now that I have noticed I will still carry and use it for years. :) If Spyderco can perform some cqi and make the knife more appealing to more people then that’s great and I fully support it but I am 100% happy with mine in its current form. One of my favorite Spydercos!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

What’s it like to use if you have big hands?

I really like Paul Alexander’s designs, but the slating the Ourobous* got for simply having Teflon washers should have been a lesson learned. Nick S’s video review probably killed that model.

*FWIW I use a silicon lubricant on mine and it’s fantastic.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I really wish the Ouroboros had been made in Taichung bc it would have been cheaper and have pb washers.
Spydergirl88
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:11 am
What’s it like to use if you have big hands?

I really like Paul Alexander’s designs, but the slating the Ourobous* got for simply having Teflon washers should have been a lesson learned. Nick S’s video review probably killed that model.

*FWIW I use a silicon lubricant on mine and it’s fantastic.
It is not a big knife, but its sleek and slim design makes it appear smaller then it really is. The handle length should be plenty long enough for XL hands. I am not sure if using the flipper will be tougher for larger hands. My hands are Marge or Ledium - M/L.
Attachments
IMG_6618.jpg
setldown

Post by setldown »

My only gripe was it made my index fingers sore from constant flipping until they hardened up. lol But try as I might I couldn't put it down. Fidget factor 100.

Then I came up with what I call the Peacemaker deployment. Basically you hold it in one hand and "fan" the wheel with the heel of your palm with a slow and deliberate motion with the other hand much like the Colt Peacemaker. Works great and lets your "office fingers" toughen up.

Short demonstration for anyone unfamiliar with Peacemaker fanning. :) :p

https://youtu.be/TKJC5OvUahw?t=264