Ikuchi - fantastic knife!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

Ikuchi - fantastic knife!

Post by ZMW »

I placed an order with KC (pre order) and it was delivered 3 days later. What an amazing knife! Action is smooth and the flipper tab is great, F&F is dialed in, and it is sleek and stylish. The cut out of the comp lock is small, but it works just fine, and I think that was required to keep the knife handle as thin as possible.

Truly, a wonderful gentleman's knife!

Love it!
Terp61

Re: Ikuchi - fantastic knife!

Post by Terp61 »

I ordered through KC too, was on the short list, it was delivered in 4 days. I agree totally with you, it’s a great knife. It’s something really quite different from Spyderco. I flipped it so much when it came my index finger got a bit ripped up from the flipper wheel. Beyond that, it’s a superb design. Happy flipping!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Terp61 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:17 pm
I ordered through KC too, was on the short list, it was delivered in 4 days. I agree totally with you, it’s a great knife. It’s something really quite different from Spyderco. I flipped it so much when it came my index finger got a bit ripped up from the flipper wheel. Beyond that, it’s a superb design. Happy flipping!
I kept getting cut because there was a burr on top of the opening wheel where the lock interface is
20190404_172457.jpg
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Check to make sure the blade tip isn't high enough in, or 'just' above, the handle when the blade is closed that it can grab and cut you. Mine definitely was, and did cut me a few times before I figured out what was going on and fixed it (ground down/dropped the tip on a sharpening stone).

u.w.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I was mesmerized when I first got this knife. Haven't been this intrigued with a new knife since my first Military. It was one of those 'I never had a knife quite like this before' moments.

It is slim, feels light, but surprisingly dense, I guess one way to describe it. The blade perfectly placed between the liners, very elegant. Yes, fantastic is a good description. Definitely unique.

It has been used daily since I got it little over a week ago. A very good slicer.

Peter
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

koenigsegg wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:56 pm
Terp61 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:17 pm
I kept getting cut because there was a burr on top of the opening wheel where the lock interface is

20190404_172457.jpg
I returned mine for this very reason. Sliced my index finger right open. I wouldn't call it a burr, rather the way it's ground comes to a very sharp and slicey point.

That combined with the tip cutting people's fingers as posted elsewhere (which I didn't experience) made this one a no-go for me. Curious how it passed the design evaluation stage.

koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

BigGrove wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:32 am
I returned mine for this very reason. Sliced my index finger right open. I wouldn't call it a burr, rather the way it's ground comes to a very sharp and slicey point.

That combined with the tip cutting people's fingers as posted elsewhere (which I didn't experience) made this one a no-go for me. Curious how it passed the design evaluation stage.
Mine got me too but a few minutes with a sharpmaker stone and its smooth now. Def needs cqi'd
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Has Spyderco ever done a recall? They might want to get ahead of this before there are thousands of instagram photos of shredded fingers. They could have dealers give them a once over and send back the ones with sharp edges.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I don't think this would be a problem if they still did stone wash on the blade. First Manix I got was stonewashed and ever since I've been disappointed with any blade that isn't.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have been carrying and using mine every day. It has really become my most useful knife.

Minor issues that, if they are present on an individual example in a major first production, are easily addressed by the end user do not constitute a recall.

What would be useful is actual data on the percentage of examples with these issues. I suspect that would be a low number especially since we mostly do not hear about those with zero problems.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
anycal

Post by anycal »

I agree, Michael.

My observation on discussion about this knife, and discussions about issues in general.

One person makes a comment based on the knife he/she has. Then, three others who don't even have that knife, or never even handled it, start chiming in about how this is a problem, this is unacceptable, I would change this, I would change that, etc, etc. Annoying, but what can you do. I would encourage others to ignore negative comments from folks who do not have the knife being discussed.

To me, this is a fantastic knife!
Peter
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

So the customer/user has to modify a new knife to prevent cutting their hand? Doesn't sound very fantastic to me.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:42 am

Minor issues that, if they are present on an individual example in a major first production, are easily addressed by the end user do not constitute a recall.

I disagree. End users shouldn't have to regrind or file or modify a flipper or a tip to prevent getting cut. A lot of knife buyers wouldn't have the tools or know how to do something even as simple as this. We are in the minority here who tinker and modify and obsess. Most buyers want to buy a knife, throw it in their pocket, and not worry about getting sliced up.

I've seen enough comments of people getting knicked up by the flipper or tip that it would be prudent to ask dealers to review their inventory and send back any "flawed" examples. I didn't say recall every knife that has been shipped out. It might prevent a bad knife from getting into the hands of an "influencer" who proceeds to slice his finger open on a youtube video viewed by millions. You can't be too careful about stuff like this in this day and age. Bad press on social media can be a killer.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm happy with my Ikuchi now that I sanded down the tip so I wouldn't get cut when the knife is closed.
I do not think the knife should have been brought to market in its current form.
Spyderco is known for very thoughtful, refined designs, high quality manufacturing and an ownership/management that really cares about its customers and its employees.
But, they also have a record of bringing some knives to market with a defect that any knife person would immediately notice.
Since I'm an outsider without any manufacturing experience, I can only guess that they don't have a process for reviewing a true production sample before doing an entire production run.
Other companies are guilty of this as well.
But this is Spyderco! My favorite knife company.
I deliver this constructive criticism with good intentions and hope that it is received as such.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

SSD_777 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:09 am
So the customer/user has to modify a new knife to prevent cutting their hand? Doesn't sound very fantastic to me.
No, the customer implies everyone. We don’t know the ratio of issues to non-issues so that implication is incorrect. It’s like explaining that most does not mean all. It is implicit to most people, but evidently not all.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

It would be interesting to hear what my fellow Amsterdam meet attendees have to say. Personally i didn't notice anything negative on the specimen showed at the meet.
Of course i am not saying people's issues are imaginary, just curious.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:41 pm
SSD_777 wrote:
No, the customer implies everyone. We don’t know the ratio of issues to non-issues so that implication is incorrect. It’s like explaining that most does not mean all. It is implicit to most people, but evidently not all.

More than one is too many. This isn't the first knife that was recently released with the same issue, obviously somebody is missing something during QC, fabrication, or engineering. Modification shouldn't be necessary on a brand-new knife.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:00 pm
It would be interesting to hear what my fellow Amsterdam meet attendees have to say. Personally i didn't notice anything negative on the specimen showed at the meet.
Of course i am not saying people's issues are imaginary, just curious.
The mentioned problems by some were also present on my example. I find it no big deal. They are easily solved. I agree that CQI is needed so that the next run doesn’t have this issues. I am also aware that not every user will be able to modify their knife.
Larry, the specimen at the meet did not have the sharp edge on the frontflipper. I opened and closed it a few times and it did not hurt my finger or cut me in anyway. I have not noticed the tip problem also, however i was not aware at the time.

I love the design and after the modification it really is an awesome knife. Great job Paul and Spyderco!
Terp61

Post by Terp61 »

When my Ikuchi arrived I proceeded to flip it like a fidget gadget for about the duration of a baseball game in front of the tele. Prolly gonna develop a nice callous after that session. I wouldn’t recommend extended periods of flipping over and over with this knife because that will create some pain. If it’s deployed when needed for use, I wouldn’t see a problem. It is a fun knife to flip. Flip in moderation.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

SSD_777 wrote:
I have not had to mod it...