Caribbean love.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Caribbean love.

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 am
I did not buy a Caribbean for one major reason: the lock. If it were a backlock like the other Salt models I would be sorely tempted. As it is, I really get turned off my detent dependent locks.

I am with ladybug93. With my large hands, I prefer no hook on the pommel. I like the way the Military is done in that regard.
I am with you on the lock. I think the comp. lock is an ingenious design and has it´s place, but I personally prefer a backlock.

Concerning the "hook": I am just courious: I get, that you don´t like it, if it interferes with your large hands (so does not give you enough room / cramps your hand). But would you STILL not like it, if there was enough space for your hand between front guard and hook?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the manix 2 still has a little bit of a hook and my hand locks in on the handle perfectly. however, it’s only enough to lock in the grip and the handle still narrows toward the end. it’s so much better in the pocket than even smaller knives like the native that don’t do this. the caribbean looks even wider at the end than the native, meaning it will be even harder to get my hand into my pocket around the caribbean. also, that hook that sticks out past the blade does not sit nicely against the back of the pocket. it sticks out awkwardly. i’ll have to take some comparison pictures to show what i’m talking about.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:35 am
Doc Dan wrote:
I did not buy a Caribbean for one major reason: the lock. If it were a backlock like the other Salt models I would be sorely tempted. As it is, I really get turned off my detent dependent locks.

I am with ladybug93. With my large hands, I prefer no hook on the pommel. I like the way the Military is done in that regard.
I am with you on the lock. I think the comp. lock is an ingenious design and has it´s place, but I personally prefer a backlock.

Concerning the "hook": I am just courious: I get, that you don´t like it, if it interferes with your large hands (so does not give you enough room / cramps your hand). But would you STILL not like it, if there was enough space for your hand between front guard and hook?!
I would be okay with it if there were enough room. It is not as smooth a design with it, but I could live with it. The Military has it right. It keeps your hand from slipping backwards, but it is rounded off enough that a little finger can ride on top if need be. Of course, the Military handle is spacious enough, anyway.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I've been wanting a serrated leaf version for a long time.
They were truly impressive when I handled one at SMK.
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:21 pm
take this with a grain of salt (hehe) since i don’t own one, but more than the looks, the handle shape is what keeps me from trying one. i personally hate a really wide end on the handle, especially with a prominent hook like the caribbean has. the native has one that is similar, but smaller, and it’s my least favorite thing about the knife. i wish the caribbean handle was shaped more like the manix or resilience.
Right on. Thank tou.
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:07 am
(For the record: Don´t own/never handled a Caribbean, just looked at it on pics and in vids)

- On the "hook": I think that actually is a very good feature on a handle, the more so, the bigger/heavier the knife itself is (but also on light knives). The "hook" is why I prefer the Stretch 1 over the Stretch 2 handlewise (Stretch 2 does not really have one anymore)

- On the Caribbean: For me it is kind of funny, how people quite often (not in this thread admittedly) emphasize the large amount of cutting edge you get with this knife in relation to the overall size (" cutting edge of a Military in the size of a PM2" and the like). I read the same when it comes to Spydie Chef, Ikuchi ... don´t get me wrong, I am the first one who wants a good cutting edge / overall length ratio and I am sure I´d love the Caribbean for that aspect! It´s just, that for a long time people pointed out how great the typical Spyderco finger choil is (and it sure IS, ergonomically speaking, but sacrifices cutting edge), and now it sometimes almost sounds like Spyderco made a new invention by dropping the choil on some knives for more edge, and still those knives offer obviously great ergos.
For me personally the typical Spyderco choil was the one thing I did NOT really like in their designs (and still do not like in knives like the Manix 2 or the Native, but rather would like to see more cutting edge), but learned to get used to and even like it on many models over time.
I have found i like the choil on my natives. The choil changes the center of mass on the knife while gripping and it seems to make it easier to maneuver the tip with accuracy (if that makes sense). But on the endura i think it would DETRACT from the purposes i use the larger blades for. So i like choils on the small knives but not the larger. Thanks for the response!
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Doc Dan wrote:

thanks, valuable info on the lock. I have large hands as well i seem to actually let my pinky hang off the end of the handles with hooks. They usually wind up ring finger hooks lol
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:48 am
the manix 2 still has a little bit of a hook and my hand locks in on the handle perfectly. however, it’s only enough to lock in the grip and the handle still narrows toward the end. it’s so much better in the pocket than even smaller knives like the native that don’t do this. the caribbean looks even wider at the end than the native, meaning it will be even harder to get my hand into my pocket around the caribbean. also, that hook that sticks out past the blade does not sit nicely against the back of the pocket. it sticks out awkwardly. i’ll have to take some comparison pictures to show what i’m talking about.
I actually understand exactly what youre saying. Pocket real estate is at a premium. I hadnt really considered that so i do appreciate the thoughts
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

I would be okay with it if there were enough room. It is not as smooth a design with it, but I could live with it. The Military has it right. It keeps your hand from slipping backwards, but it is rounded off enough that a little finger can ride on top if need be. Of course, the Military handle is spacious enough, anyway.
Maybe all of us big hand brigade guys should request a bumble bee military in LC200N?
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 am
did you buy a plain edge? Or going to wait for a spyderedge? I have seen posts describing how poorly some steels seem to respond to serrations. I wonder if anyone has serrated LC200N and how it responded. Seen anything about that? Thanks for the post
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

BigKenbo wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:18 am
MacLaren wrote:
did you buy a plain edge? Or going to wait for a spyderedge? I have seen posts describing how poorly some steels seem to respond to serrations. I wonder if anyone has serrated LC200N and how it responded. Seen anything about that? Thanks for the post
No sir.
But, David has one. ( Evil D )
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BigKenbo wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:15 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Maybe all of us big hand brigade guys should request a bumble bee military in LC200N?
Actually I have L to XL hands myself.. I never handled a Manix XL, but it's handle is essentially like on the regular Manix plus the "hook" . Knowing the handle of the regular Manix, I am quite sure that it's big enough so that an additional "hook" would still leave enough space for my hand...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

BigKenbo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

The Military has the problem of being a liner lock. I think the new Native Chief looks promising as a Salt knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:13 am
BigKenbo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Actually I have L to XL hands myself.. I never handled a Manix XL, but it's handle is essentially like on the regular Manix plus the "hook" . Knowing the handle of the regular Manix, I am quite sure that it's big enough so that an additional "hook" would still leave enough space for my hand...
I have 2 XL hands and find the hook on the M2 XL to be in the way, just a tad. If I buy another one I will round it off. The regular M2 is okay for some reason. It does not pinch my little finger.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
BigKenbo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
I have 2 XL hands and find the hook on the M2 XL to be in the way, just a tad. If I buy another one I will round it off. The regular M2 is okay for some reason. It does not pinch my little finger.
2 XL is a different story, no doubt... I can see why the XL pinches your pinky, while the reg. Manix does not: There is a more pronounced downward-curve on the rear end of the grip, due to the "hook" as far as I see.
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:09 am
BigKenbo wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:18 am
MacLaren wrote:
No sir.
But, David has one. ( Evil D )
Thanks!
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Wartstein wrote:
BigKenbo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Right on
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:27 am
BigKenbo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

The Military has the problem of being a liner lock. I think the new Native Chief looks promising as a Salt knife.
tontotally agree on the Chief. I am so enamored of it, i keep thinking it might be promising in all the potential variations
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
BigKenbo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Odd how tiny differences can change things isnt it?
James Y

Post by James Y »

My PE Caribbean leaf is my favorite Spyderco knife, period. It's the most comfortable in use, as well. It's my only LC200N knife so far, and it's become perhaps my favorite steel for its various qualities. I like it way better than H1.

I will admit, it looks odd and isn't the prettiest knife in the looks department. But for me, it's deceptively comfortable and ergonomic. The photos really don't do it justice, IMO. It's also the smoothest-operating folder I've ever owned.

Jim